Options

Pearl Jam On Track To Top Billboard 200

McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Pearl Jam On Track To Top Billboard 200
September 23, 2009 - Retail

By Keith Caulfield, L.A.

Pearl Jam is on course to nab its first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart in 13 years. Industry prognosticators suggest the band's new "Backspacer," released on Sunday (Sept. 20), could sell anywhere between 175,000 to 200,000 copies by week's end. That sales figure should easily place it ahead of the competition on next week's Billboard 200 chart.

The new album -- its first not with a major label -- is sold exclusively in the United States through Target, iTunes, Pearl Jam's Web site and independent retailers.

The group's last studio release, 2006's self-titled J Records set, bowed at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 with 279,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan in its first week. The band last graced the No. 1 slot way back in 1996, when "No Code" became its third chart-topper when it debuted in the penthouse.

Since "No Code," the group has notched three No. 2 albums ("Yield," "Binaural" and "Pearl Jam") and a No. 5 set with "Riot Act" in 2002.

Other albums looking to enter high on the Billboard 200 chart next week include Three Days Grace's "Life Stars Now," Five Finger Death Punch's "War is the Answer," David Gray's "Draw the Line" and Mika's "The Boy Who Knew Too Much."

source: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_ ... aab0b95b23
buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    McJuicy wrote:

Since "No Code," the group has notched three No. 2 albums ("Yield,".............

Damn you Celine Dion!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    only competition out there is Jay-z ....sold 298,000 last week, but should drop quite a bit
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    UpSideDown wrote:
    only competition out there is Jay-z ....sold 298,000 last week, but should drop quite a bit

yeah by next week Jay-Z will slide down considerably. Rap albums typically don't have staying power. I think we're looking at a #1 Pearl Jam album again folks!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    never thought I'd see the day again...
  • Options
    Congrats to PJ! Can't help but notice they are still on pace to sell almost 100K less in the first week than S/T.

Just picked a really weak week.

But with no label, it's still quite a feat to be #1
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Congrats to PJ! Can't help but notice they are still on pace to sell almost 100K less in the first week than S/T.

Just picked a really weak week.

But with no label, it's still quite a feat to be #1

Think this is because it is based on one day of sales (it was released on a Sunday instead of the previous Tuesday of that week which is when albums are normally released). I think that if it was a normal release date, they would have sold a lot more copies because it would be a 6 or 7 day sales cycle.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Backspacer less then s/t? Interesting....since I think Backspacer is twice the album.

Is it due to less stores selling it?
    s/t is better?

and how do they track sales anyway?
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    Backspacer less then s/t? Interesting....since I think Backspacer is twice the album.

s/t is better?

I think Backspacer is better, too, but I can't see why that would be any reason why it would sell more records in the first week. There's been less promotion and they have an unconventional distribution plan. There's no way for buyers to spontaneously decide to buy an album when they haven't yet found out it's good. I hope the quality of Backspacer will lead to longevity, but they'll have to keep promoting it and releasing singles, something I don't expect them to do.

I'm actually amazed it's on track to sell so many. Good on them!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    Smellyman wrote:

s/t is better?

Soundscan.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    I did my part and bought my copies. Hope you bought one too. I wasn't so worried about first week sales. I wanna know how long it will stay on the charts.
    I miss igotid88