Options

backspacer=a band still evolving

JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
edited September 2009 in The Porch
we can stay on the ride with them or get off anytime we like and thats ok by everyone. i would like to request that they play a lot of this cd at their upcoming shows. see what happens.....
jukin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    JUKIN wrote:
    we can stay on the ride with them or get off anytime we like and thats ok by everyone. i would like to request that they play a lot of this cd at their upcoming shows. see what happens.....

i'm in it for the long haul. i too hope to hear lots of new songs at the show i go to.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    i completely agree.
    I feel that they've come a long way and have a long way left to go, as do we all.
    life isn't stagnant, it is forever changing.
    i would expect nothing less from Pearl Jam.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    I hope they play Brother
  • Options
    i'm not going to any more shows this year, so i hope they play girls just wanna have fun 27 times per night.
  • Options
    or this land is your land, i don't care as long as they seem to like what they are doing!!!!
    jukin
  • Options
    backspacer=a band still evolving.....

definitely agree!
    and no matter what i may think of it overall, or some songs....it makes me HAPPY to know this! this band is STILL challenging themselves, not resting on their laurels, still developing musically, taking chances....and still has a LOT to share with us all musically. THAt is an utter GIFT.

8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    With there only being 11 songs at 36.5 minutes, they should be able fit them all in the setlist here and there.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    This album sounds like Into the Wild and Avocado left overs, if anything, it's the first album where they didn't show any evolution at all.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    i love the fact that i am still diggin all the new music they continue to put out, and if it was ever more of the same they would lose me. i like the challenge and am never let down. ever

it's not exactly like it use to be and IMO that's their strength, not their weakness

and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE the fixer. that tune is still my fave after listening to the new cd twice now. i love everything about that song and it is so far removed from 10/VS its nuckin futs
  • Options
    uh i like Backspacer, i really do, but its hardly an evolution of anything. The only big difference is the overall tone.
  • Options
    Them-Bones wrote:
    This album sounds like Into the Wild and Avocado left overs, if anything, it's the first album where they didn't show any evolution at all.

disagree 100%. i think this album is the most "evolutionary" they've done. i think Just Breathe is clearly a ITW leftover, but other than that, these are all unique compared to anything they've done in the past.

but again, it's all opinion i guess.
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562

definitely agree!
    and no matter what i may think of it overall, or some songs....it makes me HAPPY to know this! this band is STILL challenging themselves, not resting on their laurels, still developing musically, taking chances....and still has a LOT to share with us all musically. THAt is an utter GIFT.

8-)

BS is far from "challenging" themselves and "taking chances"
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:

definitely agree!

8-)

i definitely think they are taking chances, but certainly anyone can think otherwise. i will admit, whomever said above it sounds like avocado and itw leftovers, to some degree.....i agree. there is a LOT of familiarity in this album, homage to music of the past, some recycling of sounds they've already made in other songs, etc. however, i still think they do challenge themselves, and i do think this album is taking chances, b/c each time they put a new album out there, especially something like this which so many of us disagree on, well..that's taking chances. disagree? c'est la vie. i am just happy they are still making music and as i've said elsewhere, the fact that the ARE still making music, this is their NINTH album, and that there are a feew real gems on the labum, even if i may find flaws/unevenness on some.....still speaks voumes about their amazing talent!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i kinda feel its not an evolution or change, but an attempt to perfect certain ideas they've been floating around for awhile. its Avocado and ITW that are the sketches, this is the finished product.

I like Backspacer very much, but i would like to see them move on now that they've worked it out.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    When PJ goes for a walk they don't like to wear the same shoes twice, do they?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    I think you've summed it up perfectly with the wording of your thread.
    This band continues to court positive & negative opinion almost 18 years after their first release, how many other bands can claim to have done that?
    Be honest, how many of their albums actually sound the same, when compared to numerous other artists?
    There seems to be a lot of negativity around this album from "die hard" fans which puzzles me. Yes we all loved Ten, but bands do have to move on, and so should we.
    Backspacer to me sounds like Pearl Jam in 2009, extremely mature, contemporary even, yes there's obvious throwbacks to an earlier time, and a nod to their own influences.
    So what if it's only 30 odd minutes long? It's a damn fine 30 odd minutes.

ps: The End, his voice, sublime, maybe that's something for another thread.
    pps: It's evolution baby!
  • Options
    malcyrvs wrote:
    I think you've summed it up perfectly with the wording of your thread.
    This band continues to court positive & negative opinion almost 18 years after their first release, how many other bands can claim to have done that?
    Be honest, how many of their albums actually sound the same, when compared to numerous other artists?
    There seems to be a lot of negativity around this album from "die hard" fans which puzzles me. Yes we all loved Ten, but bands do have to move on, and so should we.
    Backspacer to me sounds like Pearl Jam in 2009, extremely mature, contemporary even, yes there's obvious throwbacks to an earlier time, and a nod to their own influences.
    So what if it's only 30 odd minutes long? It's a damn fine 30 odd minutes.

ps: The End, his voice, sublime, maybe that's something for another thread.
    pps: It's evolution baby!

it's funny, it seems to me that the 'die-hard fans' here are pretty evenly split over it, like a lot of art. there seems no shortage of people who think it is the greatest! thing! ever!....right along with those who cry out it is. absolute. shit. and then there are many, many more of us somewhere in the happy medium between the two. i simply think the internet breeds *extreme*......

btw - the fact that it sounds nothing like ten seems to have VERY little bearing on the critiques of the album i have read, so idk why that keeps getting rehashed.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

it's funny, it seems to me that the 'die-hard fans' here are pretty evenly split over it, like a lot of art. there seems no shortage of people who think it is the greatest! thing! ever!....right along with those who cry out it is. absolute. shit. and then there are many, many more of us somewhere in the happy medium between the two. i simply think the internet breeds *extreme*......

btw - the fact that it sounds nothing like ten seems to have VERY little bearing on the critiques of the album i have read, so idk why that keeps getting rehashed.

I hope I'm somewhere in the happy medium. The Ten thing is as you say boring, but a lot of people when talking about Pearl Jam normally use Ten in their first few words, and the odd review I've read as per usual mentions it. I was just trying to add to the "evolve" thread. (I love Backspacer by the way).
  • Options
    malcyrvs wrote:

I hope I'm somewhere in the happy medium. The Ten thing is as you say boring, but a lot of people when talking about Pearl Jam normally use Ten in their first few words, and the odd review I've read as per usual mentions it. I was just trying to add to the "evolve" thread. (I love Backspacer by the way).

i thought you were refering to critiques here on the board, not out in the media. of course out in the media they will always refer to ten, as that is the album that pj is most known for, and the average joe may know as a point of reference. a lot of the same bs gets rehashed in the media, b/c whenever any news of pj get out a quick little refresher for those not fanatics of the band to get up to speed. :)

i am most definitely in the happy medium, but it seems to me if you are not all-out praising every little thing on this album you are labelled a hater. that is unfortunate. slapping on labels arbitrarily is rarely wise, and it stifles many excellent discussions. always talking with people who think exactly like you gets dull, i find it far more interesting to learn the hows and whys of people who think differently from me. makes a far more entertining discussion, sometimes sways my opinions, oftentimes opens my eyes, and sure...sometimes i walk away unchanged. none the less, if i only tlk to those who think 'just like me'....i may get agreement, but it's most regurgitation of my same feelings...nice to share, but not that interesting for too long.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i said Backspacer was just pretty good or above average and i think i got called a hater a few times. hahah

Seems to me that most of the people who don't like it are huge RA/Binaural fans more so than Ten fans (me). Personally, i think some of the songs are somewhat pale imitations of older PJ songs, but all in all i really like the album.
  • Options
    i said Backspacer was just pretty good or above average and i think i got called a hater a few times. hahah

Seems to me that most of the people who don't like it are huge RA/Binaural fans more so than Ten fans (me). Personally, i think some of the songs are somewhat pale imitations of older PJ songs, but all in all i really like the album.

yes, exactly...as have i. within very 'reasoned' discussions as well. people see what they want to see. or read.

i don't think any of us actually fit any particular demographic there. my fave album is no code and i am not what you would call a huge ra/binaural fan, at all.....and yea, i like backspacer, but i find it uneven, and sure some of it....just doesn't do it for me. as ever, c'est la vie...plenty of pj to love!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    No Code is my favorite too, but Ten is up there.

Yeah, when there are 2 or maybe 3 mildly negative threads everyone loses their mind and is ready to commit suicide because of 'all the haters'. ridiculous.

Backspacer's reception has been overwhelmingly positive so far.
  • Options
    yeah. when there are 2 or maybe 3 mildly negative threads everyone loses their mind and is ready to commit mass suicide because of 'all the haters'. ridiculous.

Backspacer's reception has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

that's what i see, overall...but of course, being a hater ;)....my perspective might be skewed.... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    mach271 wrote:

Challenging.. probably not. Taking chances.. certainly.
  • Options
    God forbid, I wish I hadn't posted.
    My personal favourite album, I don't know, Vs or No Code?
    I never said you were a "hater"
    I'm not saying Backspacer is consistent either, Amongst The Waves, I know it's a popular song, I'm not sold yet, Johnny Guitar likewise.
    ;)
  • Options
    malcyrvs wrote:
    God forbid, I wish I hadn't posted.
    My personal favourite album, I don't know, Vs or No Code?
    I never said you were a "hater"
    I'm not saying Backspacer is consistent either, Amongst The Waves, I know it's a popular song, I'm not sold yet, Johnny Guitar likewise.
    ;)

huh?
    no one, lest of all me...was directing such comments to you, specifically, at all. it just spurred on further discussion. no need to be sensitive. :) so sure, i am glad you posted.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    It's all cool, feel the love, giggedy giggedy, giggedy.
  • Options
    malcyrvs wrote:
    It's all cool, feel the love, giggedy giggedy, giggedy.

*group hug*

see, even here...for all of us....it's evolution, baby! ;)

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i like the way all you mf'ers roll. good or neg . life is what you make it!!!!!
    jukin