Options

Force of Nature-Best song on CD

2»

Comments

• Options
    I really wish I could feel the same way.

This is by far my least favorite song and probably one of the only songs I can't listen to. Maybe it'll be awesome live but I just get the feeling like it's bland and there could have been more.
  • Options
    nah, not the best. i would put it maybe 4th. really great song, but got some, supersonic, just breathe are all better in my opinion. although force of nature is probably one of the closest ones to "regular" PJ. that and amongst the waves, which is also pretty good.
  • Options
    Definitely up there, but so hard to pick a favourite on this absolute ripper of an album. Great to see some Mike McCready songwriting magic. At this stage, if I have to pick three faves, they'd be: Amongst The Waves, Unthought Known, and Force of Nature. We'll see if that changes after the next thousand listens - I can't stop! I think I need to take a cold shower or something.

PS Loved "What's a CD?"
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
  • Options
    I'm stunned. You actually all like it?!

To me, it is, by a big margin, the worst, song on any Pearl Jam album. I've been listening to it over & over to try to find something likable about it. But I can't - it's bland, overwrought and thoroughly pedestrian. It sounds like it could be a cast-off from the Top Gun soundtrack. It's the first time that I've ever felt - in 18 years of listening to this band - that they've made a song I really never want to hear again.

I actually feel bad for you not being able to hear the beauty of it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Too early for me to pick a fav, but listening to it now and it is nice. :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

To me, it is, by a big margin, the worst, song on any Pearl Jam album. I've been listening to it over & over to try to find something likable about it. But I can't - it's bland, overwrought and thoroughly pedestrian. It sounds like it could be a cast-off from the Top Gun soundtrack. It's the first time that I've ever felt - in 18 years of listening to this band - that they've made a song I really never want to hear again.

i'm curious, have you heard anything the band has put out since yield?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    this song is a BEAST!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Got Some wrote:
    I really wish I could feel the same way.

This is by far my least favorite song and probably one of the only songs I can't listen to. Maybe it'll be awesome live but I just get the feeling like it's bland and there could have been more.

Thank fuck someone else agrees with me. I was starting to think there was something wrong with me
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Force is good, but I have to go with Unthought Known (for now).
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options

I hear the beauty of something like Just Breathe, or The End, something deeply heartfelt, intricate, finespun & effortless. Force of Nature is none of those things.The melody is plain and obvious, the imagery is amateurish & overblown. When you hear those other songs & see how subtle a lyricist Ed can be, its really disappointing to hear him settle for such bombast. Same goes for the music. They're capable of much better .

It sounds to me like a song that is trying to be great, trying too hard to be epic, but just sounding all the more ordinary and cliched because of it. It's desperately trying to soar, but it never gets off the ground.

Kinda like an ostrich trying to be an eagle.

...to me.

If you hear beauty in it, that's great for you.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

need any helpon this?? ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I absolutely love this song...to me it sounds comparable to Marker In the Sand...which I also love

Two great songs, you must have similar tastes in their music to me, cos I love these too as well! ;)
  • Options
    I agree guys, great track amoung a really unique record. My first impression of the whole album is that it reflects Ed's genius from Into the Wild in tracks like Just Breathe, unthought known, speed of sound and the end. Force of nature departs from this, but of course it does because Mike laid the ground work for it. I am really excited to put on headphones and absorb this record over time. We will all have our own opinions, no one is right or wrong, we are just human beings, but I know we all share one thing and it's our appreciation for this band. I also am so impressed with their philanthropy. They continue to give so much to others. In the days of high ticket prices, a down economy and terrible music, Pearl Jam rises above and gives us amazing music and a piece of their pie for those who need it. Thanks PJ, withou you I would be listening to.... Nothing.
  • Options
    I can't help but envision a rocky type montage every time i hear this song. It kills it for me. The rest of the album is great but i'm not feeling force of nature
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I think Unthought Known is the best song
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana