Options

The National Thread

The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
edited September 2009 in Other Music
This is the one band I've been listening to more than anything else for the last couple of years....here is a new one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjskJAKeJdM
'I want to hurry home to you
put on a slow, dumb show for you
and crack you up
so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
god I'm very, very frightening
and I'll overdo it'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    One of the reasons I absolutely refuse to stand at the main stage all day long waiting for Pearl Jam is that these guys are also playing on Friday at Outside Lands (different stage a few hours earlier) ... and it's the first damn time I'll be seeing them.

Really looking forward to it.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    We're Half Awake
    in a
    Fake Empire

Put a little somethin
    in our lemonade
    and take it with us....

LOVE this band.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jimed14 wrote:
    One of the reasons I absolutely refuse to stand at the main stage all day long waiting for Pearl Jam is that these guys are also playing on Friday at Outside Lands (different stage a few hours earlier) ... and it's the first damn time I'll be seeing them.

Really looking forward to it.

They are much better live then on the album. It's true. I saw them live and listened to the albums and I was actually disapointed.

I really like their albums too so that gives you an idea of how cool these guys are live. :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Boxer is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Its a perfect album from front to back, and in 2007, when so many mind blowing albums were being released, somehow, it was the best album of the year. Which says alot.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294

Its a perfect album from front to back, and in 2007, when so many mind blowing albums were being released, somehow, it was the best album of the year. Which says alot.

Agreed. I picked it up on a whim at Other Music because it was $9.99. WOW. I'll always associate it with heading down to grad school at Lincoln Center. Even had one of the librarians shush me because my headphones were too loud (in an empty library - Bollocks!)
    I've gone through the earlier albums a bit, but nothing hits (heh) like Boxer.

I'll also give a shout-out to the Dessner Bros. for putting together this year's Dark Was The Night comp, which is ranking pretty high on my 2009 list.

Haven't seen them live yet, and I'm not sure I'll ever get a decent chance here in the NY metro area.
  • Options
    iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    one of my favorite bands!! and they truly are amazing live...i was expecting a sleepy kind of show when i saw them a couple years ago and it was anything but!!

"dark was the night" was one of the best compilations i've ever heard...a few misses, but overall worth it :)
  • Options
    pretext wrote:

Agreed. I picked it up on a whim at Other Music because it was $9.99. WOW. I'll always associate it with heading down to grad school at Lincoln Center. Even had one of the librarians shush me because my headphones were too loud (in an empty library - Bollocks!)
    I've gone through the earlier albums a bit, but nothing hits (heh) like Boxer.

I'll also give a shout-out to the Dessner Bros. for putting together this year's Dark Was The Night comp, which is ranking pretty high on my 2009 list.

Haven't seen them live yet, and I'm not sure I'll ever get a decent chance here in the NY metro area.

I can't decide which record is better, Alligator or Boxer...you have to give Alligator another shot...Mr. November, All the Wine, Karen, Lit up, Abel..man, that record is a gem also..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    First time I had ever heard them was when they opened up for R.E.M.. After their set was over, I ran over to the merch stand and bought the Boxer vinyl.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    I am seeing the National on Saturday night!

I am very excited because even though I have seen them several times, it was always at a festival or as an opener, so this will be the first headline show for me!

I Love how the singer always looks so morose! Very haunting voice!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    alligator is a phenomenal record and they kick ass live. was hopin to get to see them again this year, doesnt look like it...

all the wine is such a great track. then it goes right into abel....fuckin great stuff...really really dig this band.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Cracking band, have seen them 3 times live and they've been excellent every time. Liked Dark Was The Night too, some great stuff on there like Grizzly Bear and Yeasayer.
    Slane - Jul 10, 1993
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    M.E.N. Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The 02 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    The Champ wrote:

I can't decide which record is better, Alligator or Boxer...you have to give Alligator another shot...Mr. November, All the Wine, Karen, Lit up, Abel..man, that record is a gem also..

Mr. November rocks ass. I do love that song. I like Alligator quite a bit, but I was less impressed by Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Boxer is a masterpiece and Alligator is great
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    It took me a really long time to get into them. I think the song that did it was "Ada."

I saw them recently and it was a fantastic show.
  • Options
    Had front row (just off) center for them today at outside lands ... holy crap, they were fucking amazing. I almost want to blow off outside lands on Saturday and head to LA and see these guys again.

Lots of pics ... I'll leave you with these ...

National.jpg

National2.jpg

NationalSetlist.jpg

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I am seeing the National on Saturday night!

I am very excited because even though I have seen them several times, it was always at a festival or as an opener, so this will be the first headline show for me!

I Love how the singer always looks so morose! Very haunting voice!

Lucky bastard..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Had front row (just off) center for them today at outside lands ... holy crap, they were fucking amazing. I almost want to blow off outside lands on Saturday and head to LA and see these guys again.

Jesus, that's awesome and you should go to LA..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Jesus, that's awesome and you should go to LA..

I should have gone to LA, heard it was a great show.

I *need* to see a full, non festival set from these guys now.

• Options
    Lauri wrote:
    It took me a really long time to get into them. I think the song that did it was "Ada."

I saw them recently and it was a fantastic show.

I've listened to The Boxer once through and it didn't really catch me... but I will give it another go! :)
    Starting with "Ada"...
    9/1/2005, 7/3/2006, 7/6/2006, 7/22/2006, 7/23/2006, 9/21/2009, 9/22/2009
  • Options
    I LOVE the National. Saw them in May and they are incredible live! Loved the Runaway, can't wait for the new album. Standouts in concert to me were: Mr. November, Fake Empire, Slow Show, Start a War, Slipping Husband (dear, we better get a drink in you before you start to bore us!!), Secret Meeting...hell, all of them! :)
  • Options
    My girlfriend loves them....all she listens to. I think their kinda boring, monotone. Of course she also likes interpol a great deal as well.
  • Options
    whgarrett wrote:
    My girlfriend loves them....all she listens to. I think their kinda boring, monotone. Of course she also likes interpol a great deal as well.

The studio comparisons to Interpol are warranted IMO ... but live, The National have tons of emotion, where Interpol, are pretty stoic.

I love both bands though.

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    great band only saw them once and that with r.e.m. so not a full show but nonetheless they were so awesome. Anyone heard their cover of ashamed of the story I told that was released recently?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Great show last Saturday at the Wiltern. Their live shows are simply mesmerizing!
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    whgarrett wrote:

Yeah I kind of agree with the boring and monotone assessment...but for some reason, I really like them anyway. I really think it's an acquired taste.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Great show last Saturday at the Wiltern. Their live shows are simply mesmerizing!

Fuck I'm jealous..they are a nyc band and I have yet to see them..lol..can't wait for them to play a few gigs back home..glad you had a great time..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Fuck I'm jealous..they are a nyc band and I have yet to see them..lol..can't wait for them to play a few gigs back home..glad you had a great time..

If you're not going to see PJ in Philly, they are playing three shows in Brooklyn on Oct 28, 30 and 31 ... but, I'll bet you're going to PJ, aren't you?

http://www.americanmary.com/shows2/

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

If you're not going to see PJ in Philly, they are playing three shows in Brooklyn on Oct 28, 30 and 31 ... but, I'll bet you're going to PJ, aren't you?

http://www.americanmary.com/shows2/

Well, of course I'm going to Philly Friday and Saturday...but I am aware of the shows you reference...it's not a regular full National show though, right? It mentions various vocalist etc., which I'm not interested in..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Well, of course I'm going to Philly Friday and Saturday...but I am aware of the shows you reference...it's not a regular full National show though, right? It mentions various vocalist etc., which I'm not interested in..

you're right, but, it is Kim (pixies & breeders) and Kelly (breeders) Deal ... and Shara Whardon of My Brightest Diamond ... but yeah, not a proper show.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

you're right, but, it is Kim (pixies & breeders) and Kelly (breeders) Deal ... and Shara Whardon of My Brightest Diamond ... but yeah, not a proper show.

That's what I thought..I can't wait for them to play all together in nyc..in the meantime, see you in Philly..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'