Options

Binaural Recording Technique

buckybarnesbuckybarnes Posts: 3
edited August 2009 in The Porch
Hey everyone -

I troll around and don't post much, but I stumbled on this video this morning, and considering "Binaural", I thought some people might find this interesting:

http://vimeo.com/3543550

This is a demonstration of 3 different binaural audio recording techniques commonly used. The first is a binaural dummy head, the second is the jecklin disc, and the last is the OSS technique.
"Let me stay calm
If I don't lose control
explore and not explode
a preternatural other plane
with the power to maintain"
-SH (ev)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
  • Options
    Thanks.

Binaural recording is very cool and is something that has always interested me. People like to bash the sound quality of PJ's Binaural when played through normal sound systems. I understand this and agree that the mixing just kills so much of the clarity. But that's not the point of the album. The whole point of the album was to try a new recording technique (new for PJ, not music in general). It sounds gear with headphones, as all binaural recording does.

It's too bad it's not easier/more cost effective to use two separate recording methods at the same time. It would have been great to have a standard recording to play through standard sound systems and speakers, while also having a binaural recording to use with those nice Bose headsets. I realize that this would be difficult and more expensive, so it's no wonder it didn't happen. I for one love Binaural and truly like the unique sound it has. Do I think it could sound better through a normal system? Yeah, but I also love the fact that they went out on a limb and tried something different.

I think Binaural recording is an extremely cool concept. It's too bad that it's so geared toward one type of listening, but I'd rather have it than not. The wikipedia page on Binarual recording is pretty good. I remember reading up on it a few years ago and it was very informative. Very cool video though.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin