Options

Where have all the good vibes gone?

benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I don't understand this place. Threads get started that are specifically to help others out, and it always ends up in bickering and name calling. Maybe this seems more fitting on a Phish forum, but why can't we all just get along? It's in everyone's best interests here to act civilly towards each other.
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    WTF are you talking about??? :evil:

:lol:

I kid, I kid. I agree some people could really loosen up a bit. It seems that even though they have left jr. high, jr. high never really left them. I don't read all of the threads so I don't know all the specifics and really don't care to but instead of evolving some seem to be devolving(if there is such a thing :P)

Most people are cool so just try and keep the positive energy up :)
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    you gotta pick and choose your responses these days.....i've had a thread or two specifically trying to help people with tickets and stuff and it just turns sour with a little argument nitpicking small things......i've distanced myself from this place since the change over...the "vibe" just isnt the same...you are right...i still come on mainly looking for info and stuff, but talking on the porch aint what it used to be. the good friends and great people ive met from touring, i stay in touch closer with them on facebook, small town beck being one of them :D
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    I agree some people could really loosen up a bit. It seems that even though they have left jr. high, jr. high never really left them.
    That's exactly it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    benjs wrote:
    I agree some people could really loosen up a bit. It seems that even though they have left jr. high, jr. high never really left them.
    That's exactly it.

Restless is right as well, the vibe just is not the same here.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    There alway's gonna be a bad seed(s) to ruin your thread, your help, your giving & your time ... your day. ALWAY's! There's the good & there's the bad. The world needs a balance.

demetrios
  • Options
    yeah i knwo what you mean. a couple weeks ago i was offering orchestra seats, and this guy starts posting telling people not to buy them, that they should just wait until they get to the show and can buy tickets for well below face value. who knows if thats true or not but multiple posts telling people not to buy my tickets seemed pretty lame.
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    black-white
    war-peace
    man-woman
    yes-no
    all needs to this life..u choose which side of the moon u wanna live..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    you gotta pick and choose your responses these days.....i've had a thread or two specifically trying to help people with tickets and stuff and it just turns sour with a little argument nitpicking small things......i've distanced myself from this place since the change over...the "vibe" just isnt the same...you are right...i still come on mainly looking for info and stuff, but talking on the porch aint what it used to be. the good friends and great people ive met from touring, i stay in touch closer with them on facebook, small town beck being one of them :D
    was it your hip ticket thread in other music forum where people were giving ya shit. The vibe started to fade even before the change over to this "community" board
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Funny. You should see comments on popular polish information services - there are bed seeds... :D
    Comparing the two - is peaceful heaven here :mrgreen:

ok, ok... you are right... sometimes this is rather unpleasant place
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I've come to realize that this a good place to get band updates (mostly) and buy stuff from the store. I'm not going to make any friends here...my fanclub seniority is too low to be considered worthy. Those that actually pay attention to that kind of stupid shit are always at the ready to attack.

Good luck, I have found good vibes on short supply here.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    I've come to realize that this a good place to get band updates (mostly) and buy stuff from the store. I'm not going to make any friends here...my fanclub seniority is too low to be considered worthy. Those that actually pay attention to that kind of stupid shit are always at the ready to attack.

I'll be your friend holly. We can go speeding down the highway doing 80 listening to no code hehe :):)

• Options

It's true, but not true! There are still good people here @ the 10club board. That help, give, support with you 100%. I'm not gonna lie there. Though many will just go wild & just destory you cause they think they have the upper hand or something, which I think is dead wrong. Like threads. Keep it on topic. When other's try to get off the top of the thread, it doesn't make any sense at all.

I've met a few bad seeds on tour last year but alot of amazing people that I wish my time with them never stopped. I miss them alot! :cry: And let me tell you something, at times meeting those few bad seeds, it was pretty scary! I'll never forget last summer. I was wearing my Pearl Jam hoodie that night. I had somebody come up to me with their 10club membership card, raised it to my face, telling me their 10club membership number is much better then mine! I was pretty shocked. I thought I was gonna get mugged or something, being that I was touring solo & alone, eating a slice of pizza, walking the street of St. Catherines. lol. But it's true! I hate that type of fan with a passion. So what! You got a better number then me. Big deal. I don't care what you got! You shouldn't care at all. Let them talk as much as they want. Be yourself, and other's will like you for who you are.

Whoa! Did I just write all that? :shock:
    *get's a glass of Vodka & Scotch for the evening

demetrios
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    I still say the overall vibe is great on this board...we just pay too much attention to the assholes. 8 good posts will be ruined by 2 asshole posts...it shouldn't be like that. Ignoring those people feels really good.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

It's true, but not true! There are still good people here @ the 10club board. That help, give, support with you 100%. I'm not gonna lie there. Though many will just go wild & just destory you cause they think they have the upper hand or something, which I think is dead wrong. Like threads. Keep it on topic. When other's try to get off the top of the thread, it doesn't make any sense at all.

I've met a few bad seeds on tour last year but alot of amazing people that I wish my time with them never stopped. I miss them alot! :cry: And let me tell you something, at times meeting those few bad seeds, it was pretty scary! I'll never forget last summer. I was wearing my Pearl Jam hoodie that night. I had somebody come up to me with their 10club membership card, raised it to my face, telling me their 10club membership number is much better then mine! I was pretty shocked. I thought I was gonna get mugged or something, being that I was touring solo & alone, eating a slice of pizza, walking the street of St. Catherines. lol. But it's true! I hate that type of fan with a passion. So what! You got a better number then me. Big deal. I don't care what you got! You shouldn't care at all. Let them talk as much as they want. Be yourself, and other's will like you for who you are.

Whoa! Did I just write all that? :shock:
    *get's a glass of Vodka & Scotch for the evening

demetrios
    god please don't say that happened in nyc. I totally agree with people being helpful around here and very cool. I've come across the good people of this board. Guess I'm just lucky,haha.

• Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    the title of this thread makes me think of certain store... :shock: ;) :oops: :lol:

i've noticed other sections of the board seem to be a lot more civil... even in MT, where you'd think it'd be crazy, the threads take a lot longer to deteriorate.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    There are truly great people on this board but sadly it's the bad ones who get the attention. I've met so many great friends here and at shows it's unbelievable. It does seem to go in cycles. I tend to not post as much when there are negative posts, but it does turn around. The negative people tend to not stay and move on. Don't give up, you'll miss too much! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    god please don't say that happened in nyc. I totally agree with people being helpful around here and very cool. I've come across the good people of this board. Guess I'm just lucky,haha.

It wasn't NYC! My stay in NYC last summer was amazing. Though I wish I stayed a bit longer. My flight from Montreal to JFK was delayed so I had to stay over night, sleeping @ the Montreal Airport! :(

Though I too am lucky to have many, many great friends here on the board! :D
    I love this place & I won't be going any wheres! :)
    I still say the overall vibe is great on this board...we just pay too much attention to the assholes. 8 good posts will be ruined by 2 asshole posts...it shouldn't be like that. Ignoring those people feels really good.

That's what I have to work on. Ignoring those type of user's on the board.

demetrios
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I think it's life in general...not just this board. You can go on other boards/blogs what have you and you'll find the folks who think it's cool to be decent to other people and put out a good vibe, and you'll find those who think it's cool to slam and put down anybody they can. It's fun for them to make others feel badly whereas the other group thinks it's fun to make people feel good. It's all part of the dichotomy(sp?) that is our culture nowadays.

What is so particularly sad about the slammers on this board is that they are so diametrically opposed to what Pearl Jam is all about. I guess they're just not listening to the words.

I agree with an earlier poster, there are a lot of folks who never left high school. Take for instance the posters who are cliq-ish and won't acknowledge your post on a thread of theirs if you aren't part of their little select group. It's so silly. In real life though, this is part of what we run into everyday. There are people you want to associate with, and people that you don't. It would be wonderful if we were all like-minded about putting out the good energy, but it just ain't so. So let them think and feel as they do and just steer clear.

There are many of us who DO listen to the words..... ;)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    I think it's life in general...not just this board. You can go on other boards/blogs what have you and you'll find the folks who think it's cool to be decent to other people and put out a good vibe, and you'll find those who think it's cool to slam and put down anybody they can. It's fun for them to make others feel badly whereas the other group thinks it's fun to make people feel good. It's all part of the dichotomy(sp?) that is our culture nowadays.

What is so particularly sad about the slammers on this board is that they are so diametrically opposed to what Pearl Jam is all about. I guess they're just not listening to the words.

I agree with an earlier poster, there are a lot of folks who never left high school. Take for instance the posters who are cliq-ish and won't acknowledge your post on a thread of theirs if you aren't part of their little select group. It's so silly. In real life though, this is part of what we run into everyday. There are people you want to associate with, and people that you don't. It would be wonderful if we were all like-minded about putting out the good energy, but it just ain't so. So let them think and feel as they do and just steer clear.

well said weenie
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    weenie wrote:

well said weenie

thanks you Greek God you...........! :D
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    teddysgirlteddysgirl Posts: 68
    There was another good tread raising similar issues recently...it's reassuring(?) to know that other people are noticing certain things and are having the same sort of concerns...
  • Options
    teddysgirl wrote:
    There was another good tread raising similar issues recently...it's reassuring(?) to know that other people are noticing certain things and are having the same sort of concerns...
    As it's been posted - I find that every experience can either breed a similar one, or an opposite one - my hope is that this thread can keep good vibes flying, and that those who choose to get involved in petty arguments and what not, will eventually shift their mentalities. For me, this attitude helps me remain happy, and getting others to adopt this attitude can do nothing but good, in my opinion!

EV
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    benjs wrote:
    I don't understand this place. Threads get started that are specifically to help others out, and it always ends up in bickering and name calling. Maybe this seems more fitting on a Phish forum, but why can't we all just get along? It's in everyone's best interests here to act civilly towards each other.

I think posts like this are so much more annoying than the ones where people are bickering and being assholes.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    benjs wrote:

I think posts like this are so much more annoying than the ones where people are bickering and being assholes.
    To each his own, I suppose.. for me, those detract immensely from the enjoyment I get out of this place.

EV
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    benjs wrote:
    benjs wrote:

To each his own, I suppose.. for me, those detract immensely from the enjoyment I get out of this place.

no I agree with you that the arguing and nitpicking that goes on around here sucks....but threads like this that are meant to police that behavior are pretty lame too.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

no I agree with you that the arguing and nitpicking that goes on around here sucks....but threads like this that are meant to police that behavior are pretty lame too.

I'm not sure how you think anyone is trying to "police" behavior - people are just exchanging opinions. If you don't agree, that's fine. Nobody's trying to control behavior, just talk about it. That's what the forum is for..... :geek:
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    There is always going to be someone out there that is negative or an ass.

In the 14yrs I have attended shows only twice have I been treated crappy. It just sticks out so much because there are so many awesome people you meet through this family.
    So now if I see those people at the shows I just turn and walk away because I know the next person I talk to will be awesome!
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    I stole this link from the red mosquito forum, i think this link will make clear "Where have all the good vibes gone?"

http://www.cracked.com/article_17522_6- ... ernet.html
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    weenie wrote:

I'm not sure how you think anyone is trying to "police" behavior - people are just exchanging opinions. If you don't agree, that's fine. Nobody's trying to control behavior, just talk about it. That's what the forum is for..... :geek:
    weel said weenie for 2 time.. :)
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    weenie wrote:

well said weenie

thanks you Greek God you...........! :D
    ok,,,thanks for your very good ,lovely words,,but instead of God,u can call me Dimitris..... :);)