Options

Okay - my important take on Got Some

Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
edited June 2009 in The Porch
First, let me stress that my opinion really matters.

1. I think the guitar sounds sharp and crangly - perhaps a la Vitalogy. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the album sounds the same.

2. The song is no big surprise and is no gem - it sounds like PJ, and, yes, Devo.

3. The song has no hook in the chorus (wait....what chorus), but has a couple nice vocal/guitar hooks in the verse/pre-chorus (thanks, Devo)

4. I like the song, but how it fits in with the rest of the record will be most important. e.g. - how many gems surround it, or follow it?

5. The guitar sounds sharp and crangly perhaps a la Vitalogy. And, that's a good thing.

6. It isn't terrible. But, it's far, far from PJ's best.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I think it is an awesome song. I tend to rock the fuck out to it when i listen to it. I hope the rest of the album is as good as Got Some. If so, we are all in for quite a treat.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    I J O'd to Got Some a half hour ago. Had good rhythm.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I think it is an awesome song. I tend to rock the fuck out to it when i listen to it. I hope the rest of the album is as good as Got Some. If so, we are all in for quite a treat.

It could be awesome, if placed properly on the record, and if the rest of the record is good. See, me? I'm just a whole record kind of guy.

I think radio stations should do away with singles and just play entire records. They may go out of business, but it would suit me fine, for a while anyway.
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    opening track
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    This song would have been way outta place on Vitalogy. Yield maybe, but it definitely could have been on Avocado. It sounds like recent Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    TipJammer wrote:
    TMI, my friend. TMI
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    TipJammer wrote:
    I'd be careful with that track... what about those parts where everything stops? Do you stop too? That can be seriously bad if your timing is off... :shock: .... :o
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    This song would have been way outta place on Vitalogy. Yield maybe, but it definitely could have been on Avocado. It sounds like recent Pearl Jam.
    I agree. Sounds to me like it would fit onto ST more than any other album. I cant say that I am a huge fan of the song yet. Maybe when I hear it on the album I ll like it. Thats how it was for me with Comatose. I remember hearing Comatose live when it was called Crapshoot and before it was on the album. I dint like the song until I heard it on the album. Now its one of my favorite off ST.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    I agree. Sounds to me like it would fit onto ST more than any other album. I cant say that I am a huge fan of the song yet. Maybe when I hear it on the album I ll like it. Thats how it was for me with Comatose. I remember hearing Comatose live when it was called Crapshoot and before it was on the album. I dint like the song until I heard it on the album. Now its one of my favorite off ST.

No, the guitar pretty much sounds like its straight off Vs. or Vitalogy. Have you cranked the song yet?
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Police Man wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    My opinion matter too (like anybody elses).

Good song and a lot less polished (at least the live version) than anything they did on ST. That said however; it would fit ST better than it would have done on Vitalogy and VS. It's too tight and compact. There is a lot going on in this song; listen to the guitar at the opening, the vocal lines, the timing. Not a la Vitalogy.

Song stands on its own.

I like it! :D
  • Options
    Personally, I think the guitar sounds sharp and crangly, ala Vitalogy.
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    Police Man wrote:

1. I think the guitar sounds sharp and crangly - perhaps a la Vitalogy. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the album sounds the same.

2. The song is no big surprise and is no gem - it sounds like PJ, and, yes, Devo.

3. The song has no hook in the chorus (wait....what chorus), but has a couple nice vocal/guitar hooks in the verse/pre-chorus (thanks, Devo)

4. I like the song, but how it fits in with the rest of the record will be most important. e.g. - how many gems surround it, or follow it?

5. The guitar sounds sharp and crangly perhaps a la Vitalogy. And, that's a good thing.

6. It isn't terrible. But, it's far, far from PJ's best.

I think you some it up pretty good. a good song...But why does your opinion matter som much....no disprespect
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

I disagree. I think it sounds sharp and crangly (crangly?!? crangly?!? Is that even a word?) not unlike Vitalogy.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Way to over-analyze a song. ;)
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    I think it's just nice to see Stone get into the song. For a while I was beginning to think he was a bit bored when he played.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Police Man wrote:

So what's the guitar sound like?
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    Why pick one when you can have both :P
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    screw your opinion! This song has a frantic intensity that is vintage PJ. I like how the guitars seem to try to drown out the vocals. Isn't that what everybody has wanting, the louder, crisper guitar sound? And Jeff's bass was very clear and pulsating.

As far as Eddie, I just have to say after numerous listens that he nailed the fucking song and his only mistakes are when he pulls the mike away from his mouth. I think this song is just what I needed and it gets better with each listen...
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i think it could have been on vitalogy.

one part with the chords progressing up the neck reminds me of spin the black circle..but deeper and kinda darker :)
    im really excited
    and mike screams at the end..awesome
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Wilds wrote:
    Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

EXACTLY!!!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327

I disagree. I think it sounds sharp and crangly (crangly?!? crangly?!? Is that even a word?) not unlike Vitalogy.

krang.jpg

Crangly.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420

krang.jpg

Crangly.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Vitalogy being my favorite PJ album, I have to say that Got Some really reminded me of Vitalogy. It had a bit of "Spin the Black Circle" vs "Corduroy" in it... (I know, it's a big stretch...!).

I think that what I really like about that song is that we don't have a huge solo in it!!! Don't get me wrong, I love Mike and his solos. But with the last two albums, it seems that some songs had a solo just for the idea of putting a solo in it! With Got Some, you could totally see a solo in it but... it seems that they held it back. Mike did some lead at the end of the song but that's it! And I think that's why I think that song would've fit in Vitalogy. Here's a quote from Mike on why there wasn't a lot of solos on Vitalogy that I remember reading back in 95 in Guitar World (the entire article can be found on Five horizons: http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... 4951.shtml) :

GW: "Vitalogy" is a strange album, very eclectic.

MCCREADY: There is some weird stuff on there. It came from being on the road; it was mostly recorded while we were on tour. We did a little bit at Bad Animals Studios in Seattle at the end of our Vs. tour, then some in New Orleans and some in Atlanta. They were songs we had been doing at soundcheck. Eddie had some old tunes, like "Better Man." Jeff had "Nothingman." Those songs mostly came just from jamming. At first I didn't think it had any continuity. It was weird; when I heard the final album, I didn't really like it, which may have been because I was so fucked up when we recorded it.

I like it now, I think it's cool, but I'm ready to do another one right away, just because I've become clean. I couldn't even come up with an idea for a fucking song before. To be honest, I couldn't even put a song together. I'd come up with parts of songs like "Glorified G," but now I can actually put two things together. I have about 60 songs right now. Some are good, some are shit. But I'm finally focused. I also have a lot more confidence now, whereas before I was kind of intimidated by Stone and Jeff because they're really good songwriters.

GW: What happened to the solos on this album? I think I might have heard one.

MCCREADY: Vitalogy is not really a "solo" album. I don't think the songs demanded solos; it was more of a rhythmic album.

I guess this time it's different 'cause Mike's doing way better than back then. I guess with Got Some, the band and Mike noticed that you didn't need a huge solo to make the song better. And I think that's what made Vitalogy so good; they didn't stretch it, they didn't try to push the songs too much; keeping them as simple as possible. I have great hopes for the new album with that kind of view and Got Some is a great hint!

Some of you said Yield? ...maybe... Nah, not really, sorry.
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    WHEN THE ALBUM RELEASE,,THIS POSTS WILL BE WAY DIFFERENT
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

krang.jpg

Crangly.

That looks sooo familiar. What cartoon was that from again?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    If anybody on this board thinks that this song, or any other song PJ has created in the past 10 years would fit on Vitalogy is DELUSIONAL!

Vitalogy was a fucking masterpiece that they can NEVER replicate.......Vedder and the boys can "rehearse" all they want.....THE POWER OF VITALOGY THE BAND ONCE HAD IS LONG GONE!

DEAL WITH IT!