Options

Grateful Dead or Pearl Jam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Dark Star wrote:
    Yeah, it's never gonna happen. Props to the Dead, I think they are still touring too.

I did write this post, but I don't understand the comparisons some people make between the two bands, like Bono once did. PJ's fans are not reminiscent of Dead fans in my opinion (I'm scared to smoke a joint at a PJ concert), and the music isn't similiar. I guess because both bands have hippies as front men.
    yea both were hippies that's funny. One sold out and does target ads and has a model for a gf. The other lived and died a hippie. True hippies don't sell out. I'm sorry but ed is the furtherest thing from a hippie. Jus cause you have hippie values doesn't make you one. Hippies have been dead since 1970. Hate on this post all you want but let me ask you all this would a hippie really give a shit if people were recording his solo shows or taping them for dvd.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    Sevendust is up there. I remember the had over 300 in one year.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    metsfan wrote:
    True hippies don't sell out. Hate on this post all you want but let me ask you all this would a hippie really give a shit if people were recording his solo shows or taping them for dvd.

its a different era man, the advent of digital music has made it more difficult for successful artist to get paid for their songs, so they need to be more protective than in 1970

and yes, the dead do care about people recording shows, and that is why they pulled all SBD's off the net

True hippies might just want you to leave the technology at home and focus on the live musical experience.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I just googled it and the Grateful Dead has played approximately 2350 shows.

Grateful Dead was a touring band... like that's pretty much all they did. Once in a while a record, but I'd guess that 90% of their revenue came from ticket sales.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    True hippies don't sell out. Hate on this post all you want but let me ask you all this would a hippie really give a shit if people were recording his solo shows or taping them for dvd.

its a different era man, the advent of digital music has made it more difficult for successful artist to get paid for their songs, so they need to be more protective than in 1970

and yes, the dead do care about people recording shows, and that is why they pulled all SBD's off the net

True hippies might just want you to leave the technology at home and focus on the live musical experience.

Jerry Garcia used to plug directly into either soundboards or the stage at smaller bluegrass shows when he was young. I believe that's where their permission to let people tape came from.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    isn't 'dark star' a grateful dead thing?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

If by "thing" you mean "song" then yes.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    CJMST3K wrote:

Jerry Garcia used to plug directly into either soundboards or the stage at smaller bluegrass shows when he was young. I believe that's where their permission to let people tape came from.

that and they really did not care about people taping their shows, even accommodated them with special floor sections near the sound board

Jerry once said something along the lines of "once we are finished playing, we are done with it, they can have if they want it, and Im thrilled that they do."
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

If by "thing" you mean "song" then yes.

in part, maybe that's what i meant. not a big dead fan. my dad was more into tom petty, early U2, robert johnson, so the influence just wasn't there. : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Considering Dave Matthews Band has played a full out tour every summer for almost as long, I doubt Pearl Jam is even at the top of their "generation". Phish has played more shows, too, probably.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    drew0 wrote:
    Considering Dave Matthews Band has played a full out tour every summer for almost as long, I doubt Pearl Jam is even at the top of their "generation". Phish has played more shows, too, probably.

sure, in terms of a generational touring entity, PJ hasn't played a billion shows like Phish or DMB. personally i'd rather wait to see PJ than see DMB or Phish. i respect both bands however.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Grateful Dead was a touring band... like that's pretty much all they did. Once in a while a record, but I'd guess that 90% of their revenue came from ticket sales.

Yeah, they are the definition of a "live band". I'm a huge Dead fan, and I don't own a single studio CD outside of their Greatest Hits album that I bought when I was just getting into rock music. I own countless Dick's Picks and live releases, but never a studio album...and I would assume that's how most big fans of the Dead are.

When you can sell out any venue in the country multiple nights in a row, you don't really need revenue from CD sales. ;) Not to mention, their live CDs were probably more profitable anyway and most likely sold just as good (considering you don't have to take the time to write/record/produce the album, really).
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    drew0 wrote:

sure, in terms of a generational touring entity, PJ hasn't played a billion shows like Phish or DMB. personally i'd rather wait to see PJ than see DMB or Phish. i respect both bands however.

Same. I'll be seeing Phish for the first time next week (missed out in 03/04), so we'll see. I've seen PJ twice and DMB six times and I think PJ puts on a much better show/atmosphere. All three are at the top of the list for current live bands, however.

I'm just saying that PJ is nowhere near the top of "most played shows" considering bands like Phish/DMB that tour nonstop (Phish had some breakups, but pretty much toured relentlessly throughout the '90s).
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    metsfan wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:
    Yeah, it's never gonna happen. Props to the Dead, I think they are still touring too.

I did write this post, but I don't understand the comparisons some people make between the two bands, like Bono once did. PJ's fans are not reminiscent of Dead fans in my opinion (I'm scared to smoke a joint at a PJ concert), and the music isn't similiar. I guess because both bands have hippies as front men.
    yea both were hippies that's funny. One sold out and does target ads and has a model for a gf. The other lived and died a hippie. True hippies don't sell out. I'm sorry but ed is the furtherest thing from a hippie. Jus cause you have hippie values doesn't make you one. Hippies have been dead since 1970. Hate on this post all you want but let me ask you all this would a hippie really give a shit if people were recording his solo shows or taping them for dvd.

Well, Jerry sure sold a lot of ties before he died (I owned quite a few, still have one or two in my closet). And if you look at the amount of crap that the dead sells now, there's nothing they won't put their name on.

And Bob Weir (of the dead) caused an uproar a few years ago when he had all the live shows taken off Archive.org. Due to negative backlash, they allowed the audience recordings to be posted, but they won't allow ANY soundboards to be downloaded/traded anymore as they have their own release series that they charge for. These are soundboards that have been in circulation for years that they pulled the plug on.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Wilds wrote:
    Im sure PJ has played around 800-1000 shows.

That "times played" for each song on the main site hasn't been updated for 3 years or more. Alive has been at 544 times played since I first checked in 2006. Evenflow is still at 622.

Yeah I think PJ is close to 800.
    something like that..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    Dark Star wrote:

I did write this post, but I don't understand the comparisons some people make between the two bands, like Bono once did. PJ's fans are not reminiscent of Dead fans in my opinion (I'm scared to smoke a joint at a PJ concert), and the music isn't similar. I guess because both bands have hippies as front men.

It's the ''anything can happen'' feeling that is the same at both bands shows.

For myself I saw my last Grateful Dead show with Jerry one nite. And saw my first PJ show the next nite. I admire both bands very much. Love PJ but GD was my first love in music. :)

Funny, it was the opposite for me. PJ was my first fav band...then I went to college and got more into the dead. But more than the dead, I became a HUGE Phish fan. PJ and Phish and then the Dead are my 3 fav bands of all time. I think it is because of Phish that I forgot about my 10club membership sadly...I should have a 5 digit freakin club number! :P Either way - these three bands just make music extra special...they do things other bands don't - it isn't even just the music...its the community and vibe of each band as well.
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    Who's up for a parking lot grilled cheese?
    :D
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    is this a serious question? pearl jam isn't close to the dead in the amount of shows they've played. hell, they probably aren't even close to dave matthews band....this is nothing against pearl jam, but they aren't the touring band some fans want to make them out to be, they are really just great live band with a cult following.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    edited June 2009
    Purex37 wrote:
    For myself I saw my last Grateful Dead show with Jerry one nite. And saw my first PJ show the next nite. I admire both bands very much. Love PJ but GD was my first love in music. :)

Let me guess.... Soldier Field.

Yup saw Jerry and the Dead at Soldier Field and the next nite saw PJ at Summerfest. Not a bad weekend for a 15 yr old. :D
    Post edited by patrickredeyes on
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    DesignVHL wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:

I did write this post, but I don't understand the comparisons some people make between the two bands, like Bono once did. PJ's fans are not reminiscent of Dead fans in my opinion (I'm scared to smoke a joint at a PJ concert), and the music isn't similar. I guess because both bands have hippies as front men.

It's the ''anything can happen'' feeling that is the same at both bands shows.

Funny, it was the opposite for me. PJ was my first fav band...then I went to college and got more into the dead. But more than the dead, I became a HUGE Phish fan. PJ and Phish and then the Dead are my 3 fav bands of all time. I think it is because of Phish that I forgot about my 10club membership sadly...I should have a 5 digit freakin club number! :P Either way - these three bands just make music extra special...they do things other bands don't - it isn't even just the music...its the community and vibe of each band as well.

I tried getting into Phish but I just didn't like them. I always felt they were a ripoff of the dead. Kinda like they took the torch from the dead. I agree the community and the vibe of each band is amazing.
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    I hear that comparison a lot, but since I've been listening, I don't hear it in the music at all. When i was in HS a lot of friends were listening to phish, and I didn't get it, care, or even like it myself. I was ALL about the PJ and harder music...punk rock, etc. I didn't want anything to do with the "hippy dippy" music, lol. Phish isn't for everyone obviously...we all have our own tastes...to each our own so to speak! But yeah I think once my musical tastes matured a bit, and gave it a real listen, I just 'got it' and fell in love with it. I do not see them as a dead rip-off at all - listen to them enough and they sound NOTHING like the dead (again, who I also love). The only thing they've adapted from The Dead is the fact that they jam, they play different setlists and songs each night, and have a hard-core fanbase and following. Other than that, the music is nothing alike, nothing.
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!