Options

Grateful Dead or Pearl Jam?

Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Anyone know which band has played more live shows? Also, are there any other bands you may know of that have played as many live shows as Pearl Jam? Maybe PJ can break the record for the most gigs ever played...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I just googled it and the Grateful Dead has played approximately 2350 shows.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I bet Phish is up there.
  • Options
    HOLY SHAT!

Nevermind.... haha
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I just googled it and the Grateful Dead has played approximately 2350 shows.

That's insane.

Given how little PJ plays these days, I rather doubt they're even a contender for second place. They haven't even done a full scale tour of the US in at least 6 years, if not 9.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    pearl jam has about 20 more years of shows to catch the dead
    According to Dead Base, an organization that has been tracking set lists for the Dead: 2,318 shows
    I dont think pearl jam is close to 700
  • Options
    potnikpotnik Posts: 442
    edited June 2009
    Not sure if you are only looking at these two bands or opening it up to any band/musician. First person that came to my mind was BB King, and when I googled it I found this It has been estimated that blues great B.B. King has played more than 10000 shows
    And according to Wikipedia, can't trust everything there he has done more then 15,000 performances. Link

Over a period of 52 years, B.B. King has played in excess of 15,000 performances.[11] He has made guest appearances in numerous popular television shows, including The Cosby Show,[12] The Young and the Restless,[12] General Hospital,[13] The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,[12] Sesame Street,[14] Married With Children[12] and Sanford and Son.[12]

That's a lot of touring. I am sure that Willie Nelson, has more then the Dead as well. Just thinking of people that I see out on tour every year.
    Post edited by potnik on
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    The Dead is dead
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Another Dead vs PJ thread. LOL :D
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Im sure PJ has played around 800-1000 shows.

That "times played" for each song on the main site hasn't been updated for 3 years or more. Alive has been at 544 times played since I first checked in 2006. Evenflow is still at 622.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Yeah, it's never gonna happen. Props to the Dead, I think they are still touring too.

I did write this post, but I don't understand the comparisons some people make between the two bands, like Bono once did. PJ's fans are not reminiscent of Dead fans in my opinion (I'm scared to smoke a joint at a PJ concert), and the music isn't similiar. I guess because both bands have hippies as front men.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Im sure PJ has played around 800-1000 shows.

That "times played" for each song on the main site hasn't been updated for 3 years or more. Alive has been at 544 times played since I first checked in 2006. Evenflow is still at 622.

Yeah I think PJ is close to 800.
  • Options
    potnik wrote:
    Not sure if you are only looking at these two bands or opening it up to any band/musician. First person that came to my mind was BB King, and when I googled it I found this It has been estimated that blues great B.B. King has played more than 10000 shows
    And according to Wikipedia, can't trust everything there he has done more then 15,000 performances. Link

Over a period of 52 years, B.B. King has played in excess of 15,000 performances.[11] He has made guest appearances in numerous popular television shows, including The Cosby Show,[12] The Young and the Restless,[12] General Hospital,[13] The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,[12] Sesame Street,[14] Married With Children[12] and Sanford and Son.[12]

That's a lot of touring. I am sure that Willie Nelson, has more then the Dead as well. Just thinking of people that I see out on tour every year.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:
    Yeah, it's never gonna happen. Props to the Dead, I think they are still touring too.

I did write this post, but I don't understand the comparisons some people make between the two bands, like Bono once did. PJ's fans are not reminiscent of Dead fans in my opinion (I'm scared to smoke a joint at a PJ concert), and the music isn't similiar. I guess because both bands have hippies as front men.

It's the ''anything can happen'' feeling that is the same at both bands shows.

For myself I saw my last Grateful Dead show with Jerry one nite. And saw my first PJ show the next nite. I admire both bands very much. Love PJ but GD was my first love in music. :)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    If someone got bored they could probably go over to the concert chronology on twofeetthick & count them up.
  • Options
    If someone got bored they could probably go over to the concert chronology on twofeetthick & count them up.

You'd lose your mind trying to do that.
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Dark Star wrote:

I think that what Bono was trying to say was that there was (and still is) excitement around both bands show. This idea that you don't go to just one show, you try to go as many as you can 'cause you just don't know what kind of show you'll be able to watch, what kind of setlist there will be, what kind of upset there might be. He was also talking about the fans, this idea that no matter what, you're a fan and you die as a fan, going to shows, buying the albums even if there shit, etc.

But... I'm no Bono! He could mean something totally different!!!!!!!! Hahaha!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Dark Star wrote:
    Y

the only musical similarity is that both bands mix up the setlists, play for more than 90 minutes, and play covers.
    the business model (which sounds impersonal, but that's what it is) is similar and PJ, like the dead, is more famous for its live shows than its studio work, (at least currently)
    and the rabid fans that go to multiple shows

definitely some similarities, although not in the music thats played onstage
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    http://pearljam.com/tour

Has 788 - but I know its missing some - including the most recent.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    what about the ramones !...
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    TG11511 wrote:
    what about the ramones !...

How about Wayne Newton - somewhere between 25,000-30,000.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options

Sorry, I'm new here.. :D

I learned some things though, thanks all...

Here's a tidbit for you: Jeff Ament didn't play Bass on 'No Way' or 'Do the Evolution' studio tracks.
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:

Here's a tidbit for you: Jeff Ament didn't play Bass on 'No Way' or 'Do the Evolution' studio tracks.

Welcome aboard. :D
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Dark Star wrote:

Hi, welcome. (Wait, are you really new? I recognize the name.)

Who did play bass then? I didn't know that.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Dark Star wrote:

It's mostly the "traveling circus" aspect of the fans. Contrary to popular belief, fans of *most* bands don't follow them around the country. Pearl Jam and the Dead are similiar in that vein.

Last year, within two months of each other, I ran into the same people at the LA solo show and the NYC full-band shows. I'm from Texas. They were from Arkansas. This does not happen with most bands.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:

Stone plays bass on No Way and Smile, I believe, while Jeff plays guitar.
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    LukinFan wrote:
    The Dead is dead

you know what the world needs?

more haters!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:

There is another Dark Star I hear, I need to change my name. Here is the excerpt, I still don't know who played bass on those songs, my guess is Stone, if not Stone then Brennan.

For example, the band seems to have taken a series of fairly conscious decisions to downsize its popularity. This was the consequence of a sequence of changes that began with a change in the band: the addition of Jack Irons. Jeff Ament talks in detail about how Irons' playing opened up Pearl Jam's sound: "It's made me rethink a lot about how I play, because he approaches the drums from such a soulful place. He never has a shortage of beats: He'll play some crazy groove, and everybody will fall in.

"I feel I'm approaching the new songs way differently," Ament adds, "so it makes me excited to be playing bass again. Then I feel like Jack has given some of the old songs a lot more space. All of a sudden, a song like 'Evenflow,' which I feel like we've struggles with... I know it was a great song all along, and I felt that it was the best song that we got the worst take of on the first record. There were a hundred takes on that song, and we just never nailed it. Then all of a sudden Jack starts playing, and it's like, 'Wow! That's how it was supposed to be played.' Leaving a big space there and a little space there, all of a sudden the song opens up and it swings.

"I think some of it, too, is Stone and Mike and me learning how to not play. So much of the first couple of records, Stone's riffs were kinda going the whole time; they were like the hi-hat of the song or whatever. Now there are huge spaces in songs where people aren't playing at all.

"Neil Young said something about how we were wise in that we knew when not to play. I don't know if we were necessarily doing it at that point, but him saying that's what we were doing, that made us realize that that's how you get to that point. It's just like any relationship: It's about givin' it up at certain times, and letting somebody else hold the floor."

"For me, a couple of the songs I didn't play on at all-which are 'No Way' and 'Evolution'-are two of my favorite songs on this record. Three or four years ago, I don't know if I could have said that. I think I'd have been kind of bummed that I wasn't part of the song, or wasn't at least playing bass or doing something on the song. At that point, it seems like it's interesting to sit down and learn a bass line that Stone wrote. It's great to listen to something purely being a fan of the people I play with, to sit back and have a pure perspective and just say, 'Wow, that's a great song.' It's not because I played on it; there's nothing to do with my ego in this. It's just about listening to it as a song and as a fan. I think there's been a lot of growth in this record in that way-just giving up things to other people and letting other people do things."

As McCready is Pearl Jam's most musically obsessed member, Mike tends to see everything through the lens of music. His reflection on the band's squabble over concert surcharges: "When we took on all those issues, Ticketmaster or whatever, that started to get in the way of just creating music and playing shows. That was when it started to get not so fun, for me. Once we get out there and play again, that's when I love it."

But, perhaps because he sees so much in terms of how it affect the music, Mike's also the band member who best defines how the band's musical evolution has altered its way of working together. "We've opened up and started talking a lot more than we ever have before-confronting each other on issues, having arguments, whatever."
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Dark Star wrote:

Don't be scared. I'll give it back after a few puffs. ;)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    For myself I saw my last Grateful Dead show with Jerry one nite. And saw my first PJ show the next nite. I admire both bands very much. Love PJ but GD was my first love in music. :)

Let me guess.... Soldier Field.
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/