Options

Pearl Jam and Whale Wars?

Evil BeaverEvil Beaver Posts: 84
edited June 2009 in The Porch
I gotta say The Whale Song is one of my favorite Pearl Jam Cause/Soundtrack/B-side tracks.

I really, really dig this song — not just as a novelty, but as one of Pearl Jam's best compositions. I mean, Mike's solo is surreal and either Stone or Mike use their guitar to make quasi Whale calls. Jack Irons wrote the song and sings most of it, but Ed takes over at one point with a chilling recital: "They swim/It's really free/It's a beautiful thing to see/They sing."

In my mind, it's hands-down the best Pearl Jam track where Ed isn't lead vox.

Anyway, I was a big fan of Animal Planet's "Whale Wars" last year and know that a second season of the program begins today (June 5). Members of the Sea Shepherd appeared on Larry King last night. Three clips were shown and one featured The Whale Song as a backdrop, with the words "They won't fight back" appearing as a title overlay with the clip.

I gotta feeling this might be the theme song to this year's series ... maybe even the intro song. I couldn't think of a better program for Pearl Jam to lend their music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I like that show. It's crazy to see the stuff they go through.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    whats that?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BravejamriotBravejamriot Posts: 217
    the Sea Sheppards are a hardcore environmental/animal rights group. Their main mission is stopping the Japanese whaling activities.

The show chronicles their adventures in the Antarctic sea. It's pretty cool the stuff they do, although they are obviously out funded and don't have the best trained crew.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I saw that on Larry King last night and had never heard of that show before but looks interesting. I totally missed hearing that song too
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    I think you're right. It looked like Whale Song will be a part of the show. Great show to be associated with, very important cause. Way to go PJ way to go Jack!
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    I heard that last night on cnn also.
    Pleasantly surprised.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I missed the Larry King show with the Sea shepherds, but I saw the season premier of Whale Wars last night. No Whale Song. But you're right - it should be there - somewhere.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    the pumpkins song opening the show works for me.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!