Options

Help a budding guitarist? Please?

NotnowjohnNotnowjohn Posts: 42
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for a while now, but am still at that beginner stage, because i never find time to play. I can play about 8 songs, and loads of little riffs, nothing to really brag about.
I guess i'm just really asking for advice, like what's really worth learning, so if anyone can give me any pointers, anything at all, they would be immensely appreciated:)

WAH! WAH! WAH!
EVENFLOW PSYCHO MEMBER #24!
WAH! WAH! WAH!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Well first advice is to learn songs you really enjoy. Second is to learn varying styles. Make sure you're fingerpicking as well as pounding on power chords, etc.
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    Yeah try and vary your styles. It will help so much...try and practice everyday even if not for long.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    play slowly, make sure every note is perfect, then speed up. don't accept any fret buzz. don't allow yourself to hit a muted string when you don't want that chunky sound.

oh and practice every single chance you get.

and get a good book too.
  • Options
    Learn to play songs you like, that will help keep it interesting. Also try to learn some of the boring stuff, like scales and chord theory. Take the songs you like and, after you learn them, see how the boring theory stuff you've studied applies to them. It can be a real eye opener sometimes.
  • Options
    Find one or a few friends at near the similar level and interests to try to play songs with.

When you get involved with people in music you are more likely to play, talk, and think about the whole process more.

Do worry about being a 'band' that will come in it's own time after you have experimented with many types of Jams and partners.
    DO <> RE <> MI FA <> SOL <> LA <> SI DO
    1 <> 2 <> 3 4 <> 5 <> 6 <> 7 8