Back on guitar duty... need some ideas

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright... I am finally back on guitar duty with a band. We have a four hour gig on Satuday night and I am playing guitar on about 1/3 of the songs, key on 1/3, harp on some others... vocals throughout.

I am also needing to come up with a few songs to play solo electric between sets to fill time and round out our night.

I am thinking:
Something - the Beatles
I just want to make love to you - Willie Dixon (Stones play this all the time)
It Takes a lot to Laugh - Bob Dylan (countless others)
????

Any other ideas?

Also, I am thinking about not running any pedals... just my guitar and amp... I figure, I don't need a lot of different sounds and the less to think about the better.

Any thoughts here?

Otherwise, I could run an OD or two and/or a fuzz. I picked up an LGW this weekend... very good as a clean boost (just a bit of an eq/mid jump)... pretty cool.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Something is an excellent choice, always loved that tune.

How about Pearl Jam's "Long Road"?
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    moster78 wrote:
    Something is an excellent choice, always loved that tune.

How about Pearl Jam's "Long Road"?

I dig Long Road for sure... I recorded a version of that... it is floating around here somewhere... good idea. I don't want everyone to be sad... but it is limiting with just one electric guitar... an acoustic by itself has more options.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I dig Long Road for sure... I recorded a version of that... it is floating around here somewhere... good idea. I don't want everyone to be sad... but it is limiting with just one electric guitar... an acoustic by itself has more options.

I don't think its that sad of a song, personally. But thats just me. I would think Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over" would sound good solo electric as well.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    moster78 wrote:
    I don't think its that sad of a song, personally. But thats just me. I would think Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over" would sound good solo electric as well.

Another cool song... I don't think it would fit with our set though.

We focus on older rock n roll... hendrix, the stones, led zep, blues
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Another cool song... I don't think it would fit with our set though.

We focus on older rock n roll... hendrix, the stones, led zep, blues

Got ya. Maybe Wild Horses by the Stones? Or again, too slow and depressing?
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    warren haynes does some cool solo electric tunes on his bonnaroo cd....i like tastes like wine the best of them.

lotta emotion in it.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Try something by Cream, maybe Crossroads.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Throw Your Arms Around Me - Hunters & Collectors..... sounds nice on a single electric!!!