Options

Discouraged musician needs advice

zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I play acoustic and electric guitar and sing, which I've been doing for several years now. There's this Italian restaurant that I've started playing at, I've played a couple of times. But last Saturday when I went in to schedule another gig the manager told me that they didn't want me anyone. Some people complained about me, I guess they said I wasn't very good, the manager wouldn't elaborate but he said I didn't do anything rude or offensive.

So now I'm gonna go back to doing open mic nights. I feel discouraged but I'm gonna keep going. Any suggestions? I have about 20 original songs that I've written, when is a good time to make a demo tape?
"As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by zircona1
    Hey all,

I play acoustic and electric guitar and sing, which I've been doing for several years now. There's this Italian restaurant that I've started playing at, I've played a couple of times. But last Saturday when I went in to schedule another gig the manager told me that they didn't want me anyone. Some people complained about me, I guess they said I wasn't very good, the manager wouldn't elaborate but he said I didn't do anything rude or offensive.

So now I'm gonna go back to doing open mic nights. I feel discouraged but I'm gonna keep going. Any suggestions? I have about 20 original songs that I've written, when is a good time to make a demo tape?

Hey man. You are doing great it sounds like to me. Make a demo now. I am either lazy or unmotivated or whatever. I bought a recorder last year in the midst of my depression and I have one short song recorded. The fact that you had a gig is cool. I'd make a demo and search for some more. I do the open mic thing when ever I can or I get word of it. Music is fun. Let it be fun. Don't worry about why they said no just go find somewhere else. 20 songs is great. Pick the best 4 or 5 and make a tiny EP. That should help you sell yourself.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    just keep going. i know exactly how you feel.

as for the demo, make it at a time you're feeling good about what you're playing etc. etc.

just keep going though. remember that music is so subjective and that if someone doesn't like what you're doing, it doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    From what he said, it sounds like you just aren't "Dinner Music". I would take that as a compliment... dinner music is stuff you can ignore. Sounds like people were taking notice.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I just needed a little bit of encouragement. I went to an open mic night last night and it went really well, I met some people and one of the songs I played was 'Rockin In the Free World,' which went over really well.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Options
    People eating in an Italian restaurant want to hear acoustic Wayne Newton... I don't know why you were there in the first place (unless you really do play acoustic Wayne Newton). Open Mic nights are fun... you get to listen to a lot of new music, play your own music, and get musician feedback on what you're doing. Keep it up, man...
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    you might ask him exactly what they said. Maybe there's a useful bit of info in there.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Originally posted by justam
    you might ask him exactly what they said. Maybe there's a useful bit of info in there.

That's true... negative criticism can help a lot in your development, so long as you can take it the right way.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    just keep it up, if you love doint it...dont quit....

not everyone on this board likes everythign pj does...and it is pearl jam!
  • Options
    Just because they didn't dig your music doesn't mean there's not an audience out there for you. It might be a matter of not catering to the audience. Don't put too much stock into what one place says about your music.
    Crazy Crazy: Andy Wood Remembered
    http://www.smallrose.com/crazycrazy
    November 2003: Alice in Chains demo mp3s
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    what part of missouri are you from? i'm from columbia looking to jam with others, especially w/ someone who likes pearl jam.
    www.cluthelee.com