Options

Eds guitar on dead man

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
sTudio version

any ideas?

acoustic or electric, sometimes i think both!

so my decision is, he is using a n acoustic guitar through a regular electric amp..has that kind of sound to it...

comments?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HiwattHiwatt Posts: 19
    are you serious? It's a tele or SG into his Hiwatt. I hope under no circumstances do you ever plug an acoustic into an electric amp.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    i dont, dont worry, but i have...i know what ed usually does, but i still hear abit of an acoustic feel to it...doesnt sound like the hiwatt setup to me, dont get all touchy on me...

and, peopel have done alot crazier things to get different sounds
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's two separate tracks. one acoustic and one electric. the electric portion sounds too good to be an acoustic/electric plugged into an electric amp.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Hiwatt
    are you serious? It's a tele or SG into his Hiwatt. I hope under no circumstances do you ever plug an acoustic into an electric amp.

Ye olde impedance differences... they're a bitch.

There are some acoustic guitars with electro-magnetic pickups that sound good through an electric guitar amp, versus a piezo-electric pickup in a standard acoustic/electric. So that's an exception to the rule.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Is having an acoustic amp really important when playing an acoustic/electric guitar? I have a Dean acoustic/electric and I play it through a Marshall DFX and i think it sounds pretty decent. How much better will it sound with an acoustic amp?
    Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
  • Options
    Well, it'll sound like an acoustic, for one...

Acoustic/electric pickups are completely different from electric-guitar pickups, so the designs are way wrong. Of course, if it sounds okay to you, power to ya, but it's not the best way to get acoustic tone. Either get a decent acoustic amp, or just get a DI box and go direct.
  • Options
    By the way, to reference my earlier post, here's a couple examples of electro-magnetic pickups on acoustics.

The famous Beatles model:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031112184008150131025216344917/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/35739

And it's Epiphone copy:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031112184008150131025216344917/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/34637

I think Kurt's guitar for Unplugged was one of these, or similar... anyone know?

EDIT: Kurt used a Martin D-18E. From http://www.kurtsequipment.com:
    "The acoustic guitar Kurt used on "Unplugged" (and his main acoustic guitar around this time) was his late 50's Martin D-18E.

Although the standard procedure for "Unplugged" is for acoustics to run direct, Kurt insisted on putting his Martin through his Fender Twin Reverb amp; but it was only used as a monitor! To keep the amp as clean as possible, the 7025 preamp tubes were replaced with 12AX7's and the 12AT7 phase inverter was replaced with a 12AU7. Alex Coletti ("Unplugged" producer) made a box out in front of the amp to make it look like a monitor. Again, Earnie believes this amp was used ONLY as a monitor, as the guitar on the album sounds to him as if it's coming off of the D.I. box. He can't be sure, though.

Along with the Twin Reverb, the DS-2 distortion pedal and E-H Small Clone chorus were also used. The Echoflanger and Polychorus were also brought to the rehearsal but they weren't used because they created too much 60-cycle hum.

Kurt used Finger-ease on the fretboard of the Martin to smooth out the solo to "About A Girl." "You know that goofy-ass stuff? It's like anal gel" said Kurt, who knew to use the roll-on as opposed to the spray. He said that he had never used fretboard lubricant before but that his "country and western aunt" used to."

I just thought that was sorta interesting...