Options

New guitar Strings

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Do most of you change the strings on your guitar immediately after you buy it or do you leave them on for a while? I just got a new Dean Exotica acoustic and got some elixirs to go with it and was pondering whether to leave the strings the guitar came with for a while or just swap them out now.
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    just wear out what's on there now. no sense wasting them. then slap on the elixirs and forget about strings for a looooong time.
  • Options
    Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    cool thanks
    Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
  • Options
    MONKEYNUTS Just used de strinGS HE GOt wid his Guitar

HE DONt chnge His much anYWAY. he hatES THE FEEL of new strINGS
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I would probably change the strings right away, but I'm a tone freak. I want the guitar strings I play on the guitar right away. But the strings from the factory are probably okay for the moment. If the strings sound funky, change 'em. If they sound alright, stick with them until you need to or want to.

And I agree with MONKEYNUTS, the sound of new strings kind of annoys me. I like strings that have been played on for about 2 months. They're less bright, more warm. When they start growing a colony of rust and gunk, that's the time to swap. A few people will keep their acoustic strings for years, and just take them off the guitar and boil them in water or a vinegar solution for a few minutes, then let them dry and re-string. As long as they don't break, they'll last for years.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    well I tend to change strings about once or twice a month. especailly after gigging... the sweat and shit tend to take them out of tune on certain fretts. and i am a nut about clean tone and pitch. if you string your guitar and stretch the shit out of them and then play on them for 30 minutes or so they tend to sound pretty good.

i agree freshly strung strings can sound bright as hell. and its annoying. moreso on my acoustic i think. but a good jam session can take care of that.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband