i also got a lonestar 97 with double hum made in us
"thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
thiers still time so escape,,,,
auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    fender fucks around so much with their labelling, where they make them etc. etc. that who knows.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Strat = Chinese and all that this entails crappy plywood crap setup and electronics etc. I'd rather put a pickup in a pile of crap.

Stratocaster = Korea (Sammick) slightly better.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    good mine is the korea one :)
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    Originally posted by time2escape
    good mine is the korea one :)

unless it was made before 92 or so those were made in Japan and were excellent for the money either way it should be on the headstock.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    unless it was made before 92 or so those were made in Japan and were excellent for the money either way it should be on the headstock.

hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, let me see.........yeah korea but it was made before 92
    i painted it though i hate red guitars
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    Originally posted by time2escape
    hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, let me see.........yeah korea but it was made before 92
    i painted it though i hate red guitars

sorry the Standard Fender Stratocasters were made in Japan.

Squires were still made in Korea.
  • Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    Im thinking about completely fucking with my squire. This guy John Thurston, hes supposed to be one of the best guys repair guys came into our class and should us some fretting stuff. So I must do that. And then I might change the pickups. Im gonna feel like one of those guys who hotrods a Civic lol. There was a line in this star wars book, they said about a certain ship "Id rather just have a blaster and a jetpack." What Paco said reminded me of that
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    Originally posted by djyman15
    Im thinking about completely fucking with my squire. This guy John Thurston, hes supposed to be one of the best guys repair guys came into our class and should us some fretting stuff. So I must do that. And then I might change the pickups. Im gonna feel like one of those guys who hotrods a Civic lol. There was a line in this star wars book, they said about a certain ship "Id rather just have a blaster and a jetpack." What Paco said reminded me of that

hey it's a challenge, why not. it'll end up being a great stage/live/practice guitar. You can beat it to hell and not lose much. Good luck. It'll probably sound good. One good thing to do on Squires that's often overlooked is a neck swap if you've got one. A bigger neck with more wood would yield better tone. Some locking tuner's too. It'll be a fun project. I've seen lots of squire mods. they are worthless in resell but fun to mod.
  • Options
    actually my squire rips it i can play it faster it seems because the neck is smaller width

i added fender noiseless pick ups to it, and all new hardware

it jams
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    i love my squire...

it was my first electric guitar and i think i'm never going to sell it...
    but there are squires... and there are SQUIRES...

most of them are crap but if you're lucky you can make a great bargain... mine has a nice natural neck and some superb turquoise see-through finish...
    sounds great, is easy to play and looks kind of expensive...

no one ever thinks it's a cheap squire...
    and i bought it this way... no customisation...

could need a new pickup though...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    isisisis Posts: 34
    Wow! every time I come around you guys are putting down my guitars!

Last time someone was telling yamaha acoustics suck (I've got one), now Chinese Strats suck as well (I've got one). Look I've got onother acoustic but I don't want to say what it is: I prefer not to know it is another piece of crap!!

PS

Now I see why I sound so bad!!!!
    I don't want to hear from those who know
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    Originally posted by isis
    Wow! every time I come around you guys are putting down my guitars!

Last time someone was telling yamaha acoustics suck (I've got one), now Chinese Strats suck as well (I've got one). Look I've got onother acoustic but I don't want to say what it is: I prefer not to know it is another piece of crap!!

PS

Now I see why I sound so bad!!!!

i'm with you, isis!

i also own a squire and i love it...
    and i ALSO got a yamaha electro-acoustic... and it sounds PERFECT! last time i played it at an open mic night people came up to me and asked me what kind of guitar i was playing cos it sounded best out of all the guitars that night... and most of them played real expensive gear!

it's all about how comfi you feel with your own guitar and if you like the sound or not...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    Originally posted by psycosmic
    i'm with you, isis!

i also own a squire and i love it...
    and i ALSO got a yamaha electro-acoustic... and it sounds PERFECT! last time i played it at an open mic night people came up to me and asked me what kind of guitar i was playing cos it sounded best out of all the guitars that night... and most of them played real expensive gear!

it's all about how comfi you feel with your own guitar and if you like the sound or not...

sound is subjective. There's nothing wrong with a budget piece if it sounds good to you but they are bottom of the barrel as far as guitars go.

hell I own a Peavy and it sounds ok. But I'm not going to throw out acolades for them simply because I've opened the boxes on hundreds of chinese squires when I worked at Guitar Center, they are as cheaply made as they come and are almost never in good playing shape. But. They are a guitar and any guitar is better than no guitar.

I like yamaha everything espically electronic equipment and pianos, the Compass series acoustics are better but they aren't that special as acoustics and now that quality guitar makers like Taylor, Larraivee and Tacoma are making quality cheaper guitars I'm not going to recommend Yamaha and certainly not the ass crap that Takamine passes off as a cheap guitar. The reason they suck is the companies don't give a crap about the budget ranges, they are basically selling nothing. The most profit you pay to guitar center comes from Ovation's, next are the Takamine; Yamaha and Fender cheap models.

A chinese squire cost the store about 50 bucks including ad pack so it probably cost fender less than $20 bucks to make it.

Sammick in Korea makes everybodys stuff. Everything in the 150-300 dollar range made in Korea is pretty much the same, however Mitchell at least provides Grover tuning machines and Washburn offers a solid top at Musicians Friends low price of $150

Good luck finding anyone else offering a solid top at under $300

In the end its subjective. If you like it great. You are limited in guitars only by how much you are willing to spend and your taste but no one's taste is wrong. If you like squires great. Sonic Youth refuses to play anything that they don't buy used or in a pawn shop. I'm sure they have more than a few squires. The korean ones aren't that bad. The Chinese one's I'd rather smash.
  • Options
    isisisis Posts: 34
    Hey, I was joking! I knew I wasn't about to buy a superguitar when I got my squier.

I didn't have much money to spend and neither someone to ask for advice.

Anyhow I'm still having fun with it.

Next time I want to buy a guitar I'll come around to look for advice first!
    I don't want to hear from those who know
  • Options
    low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    honestly, my friend's squire has superior pickups vs. my mexi strat. BUT what i ran into playing on his rig is that when I capo a frett it goes out of tune on some strings. even though open tuning is perfect. so there are small differences. but i had to go normal strat... i capo like 90% of my songs and i cant stand out of tune guitars.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Hmm, I actually have a strat that says Fender (all black logo) on the headstock, but 'Squier Series' where it normally says 'Contour Body' or 'Californian Series' or something like that. It's a Japanese one, it's ok but inferior to my (also Jap-made) Jazzmaster. Anyone know anything about these? Haven't seen another one of those yet...

-mrc
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."