Question about Tremelo Bars...

low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a strat that goes completly out of tune on the B and 1st E string anytime I attempt to use the Tremelo Bar. Which makes it useless to me. anyone know why this happens? I do have a Mexican Strat maybe thats why. I hvae no idea. Fishing here...

-low
www.myspace.com/eotoband
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the strings are slipping on the tuning keys most likely. or the strings are not sliding in the nut properly.

this is assuming the strings have been stretched properly.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Well, the two highest strings are the ones that tend to get stretched when you whammy the hell out of 'em...

I also wonder how many springs you have on the bridge, and what kind of condition they are in. If you have one, two, or three springs, and/or the springs are worn out, you might need to add or replace springs. They are what keeps the bridge all the way down when the whammy isn't in use. If they aren't working right, then the bridge could get left out of whack after a whammy jiggle.

If all else fails, take it to a qualified guitar tech.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • iT may just b UR GuITAR

THE SQUire copy of the straT WHICH IS WOt MONKEYNUTS HAS is notorious for goiN oUtta tuNE. u CAn BREATH On de fuker and It wilL GO oUtta Tune
  • low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    well, the bridge is tilted upward a bit from the wood of the guitar i think the springs need to be tightened so that when the strings are on it that it lays completely down. is this why??

when i got it it was WAY off of the base ... and i tightened it down but its still slightly tilted. not even sure i even want to use the fuckin tremelo anyway, but it bothers me when i have stuff i cant at least play with a bit ;)

thanks guys
    -dm

ps- its a brand new guitar the springs should be fine
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
    It sounds like the tremolo is way loose. I would take it into a guitar shop, see if anyone can give you a quick tuneup for cheap, or show you what needs to be fixed. If it's brand new, and you are the only owner, and haven't removed any springs, then it might just be tightening the tremolo base. I had a Strat a couple years ago that I bought second-hand, had a similar problem of staying in tune after tremolo use. Turns out, the previous owner had removed two springs to make tremolo use easier (common modification). We replaced those two springs, and the guitar was great afterward. It's hard to say what the source of your problem is, but I'm sure it can't be that difficult. Mexi Strats are good guitars! Good luck.
    mccreadyisgod - you are extremely appreciated.

thanks, im gonna toy with it. just got back after a show tonight, went really well.
    fun

-david
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah mcCready is right. If you use heavy guages you'll need a couple extra springs. Also for your next set try some Fender Bullets those strings have large bases made to fit tremelo's I personally don't think they are all that great but I don't use the trem much either. It might help to get the thing set up and have them check the intonation
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    okay thanks. I use the Fender 3250's Regular.. super bullets. I've tried ernie ball and other strings and i honestly like the Fender strings. any suggestions for other strings to try? i'm really new to the electric only been playing it for a couple of years vs my acoustic since 96 or so...

anyway thanks for all the feedback guys

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    DR's are my favorite.

GHS Boomers are pretty good.

I hate Ernie Balls. I hate Dean Markley except. Blue Steel.

D'addario aren't that great either.

The Elixirs are much better on acoustics.

but the Fenders are made to fit tremelos.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    GHS Boomers. 10's or 11's are best.

I used to play on Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's, and I had pretty weak output. With Boomers, my guitar has a certain extra "punch". And the heavier the guage of you strings, the higher the output and the fatter the tone. SRV used 13's and 14's.
    havent tried Boomers yet. I will give them a shot. Yeah I tried slinky's once and they sounded like complete shit. I wouldnt strangle someone with those damn things much less play music with them

fender's strings surprisingly have a decent tone. but i'm always looking for better sounds. I'll try the GHS

thanks
    -dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i use GHS boomers. 11s.

of course, all my tremolos are blocked too.