Options

advice from people who record

present_tensepresent_tense Posts: 121
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey folks

Ive been doin some minor recording using an old 4 track analog. I would love to move up into the digital world. Ive been looking at multitrack recorders like the zoom 1266. But ive been wondering, would it be more beneficial to purchase a new computer and some good recording softwear? Let me know what u guys think.
the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Well, first of all, I'd avoid anything made by Zoom like it was the plague. If you want a stand-alone digital recorder, look at a Korg, a Yamaha, or a Roland.

But, if you want pro-quality sounds and you have the budget, a ProTools rig on a computer with an analog/digital interface would be the best way to go. Get a Mac G5 and an 8-channel digital preamp, and you'll be set.

In the middle are hard-disk recorders like the Mackie HDR24, the Alesis HD24, and the Tascam MX-2424 are great units. Removable hard drives... great feature.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, first of all, I'd avoid anything made by Zoom like it was the plague.

I couldn't disagree more. I have a zoom MRS-802 and love it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have a Boss BR-532, depending on what you are doing with it, it's good or not all that great. If you need a portable recorder it's brilliant. Everything you need is in one box and it's expandable to 128mb so you can record a lot of stuff. It's got plenty of ins and outs including digital stuff and 8 virtual tracks per track plus a drum machine that still allows you 4 tracks. However in retrospect I wish it was an 8 track because I'd like the flexibility to record in stereo on every track and use panning more. If you are recording at home primarily I'd say go with a software system like Cubase or Pro Tools. It's much more flexible gives you many more editing features (though my boss is very good and the amp models do sound excellent for being amp models) My suggestion would be go with the computer and get a Line 6 Pod Pre-amp that way all your guitar sound is at your fingertips and you can tweak away, but your recordings go to hard disk, there is no signal loss in transfer, you can cut and paste with no problem and your burner is right there ready to go.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i use a tascam 788 standalone digital 8-track with a 10gig drive. but it's a pain to burn a rough mix to cd, then import to PC and master and reburn.

if i had a do over, i'd have bought a dedicated laptop with the proper input card and software and had a rack with a guitar preamp and mic preamps.
  • Options
    I still prefer the sound of a mic'd guitar cabinet... put a 57 in front of a good guitar amp, and you'll get good tone. I like to blend a 57 with a Beta 52 for phatty guitar tone, myself.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I still prefer the sound of a mic'd guitar cabinet... put a 57 in front of a good guitar amp, and you'll get good tone. I like to blend a 57 with a Beta 52 for phatty guitar tone, myself.

what position. On or off axis or does that depend on the cabinet?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Well, the two-mic arrangement works best on amp cabinets with 2 or more speakers. Put the 52 right on axis in the middle of the speaker, a half-inch away from the grill, to get the best proximity response. Then place the 57 about 15 degrees off axis, off-center, but pointed towards center, and 2 inches away from the grill. You get great bottom and body from the 52, great definition and sparkle from the 57. I blend the 52 in about 8 dB behind the 57, and if it's only one guitar, pan them apart. If you only have one speaker, but an open-back, put the 57 in front like I described, put the 52 in back, on axis, just off the side of the magnet. Phase-reverse the 52. If you only use a single 57, just put it like I described, but right on the grill (unless it's a metal grill, space a quarter-inch) to get the best proximity response. I just recorded an album, and A/B'd some different mics (including Nady large-diaphram condensers, and AKG 414 ULS condensers) and found I prefered the 52/57 combo. Royer and RCA ribbons and Telefunken large-diaphram mics are popular choices in pro-studio recording, but at $5000 a mic, they're out of my league.
  • Options
    you guys are crazy cool
    i use my 4 track fostex it works thats all i care about

:) for now anyways
    "thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
    thiers still time so escape,,,,
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    if you are going to get a stand alone 8 or more track recorder...stay away from roland. they automatically compress the signal when you record it, and on top of that they make up their own weird ass elaborate ways of doing rather simple things...which can in turn make it sound like you are recording on a toy. i'd highly reccommend either akai which i know records uncompressed audio...or yamaha. if you go computer style...if you are an apple person pro tools...if you are a pc person get cubase sx.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    stay away from roland. they automatically compress the signal when you record it, and on top of that they make up their own weird ass elaborate ways of doing rather simple things

I agree with you on the routing problems... the few Roland stand-alone recorders I've used have been a pain in the ass to get used to. Of course, that stuff gets easier once you know the system. As far as the compression, though, do you mean digital data compression, or analog signal compression?
  • Options
    I agree with you on the routing problems... the few Roland stand-alone recorders I've used have been a pain in the ass to get used to. Of course, that stuff gets easier once you know the system. As far as the compression, though, do you mean digital data compression, or analog signal compression?

woops sorry forgot to specify. digital data compression. some stand alone's give you the option...roland doesnt. they just do it.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    So, to 16-bit? 44 kHz? What?
  • Options
    So, to 16-bit? 44 kHz? What?

hmmm 16 or lower. dont remember. think its lower. i used to have a 1680...did a recording right before i sold it...then recorded with the akai i got to replace it. roland sounded like shit, used the same mic and external pre's....did the same eq...
  • Options
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    hmmm 16 or lower. dont remember. think its lower. i used to have a 1680...did a recording right before i sold it...then recorded with the akai i got to replace it. roland sounded like shit, used the same mic and external pre's....did the same eq...

Ahh... My Korg D1600 also compresses to 16-bit, 48 kHz, but I think it sounds great for demo recordings. Hell, with my buddy's front end, I'd record an album on that thing. So long as you mix to an external source that records 24-bit 48 kHz, it would sound alright. Not great, mind you, but good. The Korg's routing is much easier to understand, very intuitive.