Options

what can add to my 90 deluxe fender?

time2escapetime2escape Posts: 178
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
i have a 90 watt fender deluxe with one 12

i was curious what can i add to this, for a different sound and louder possibly when playing live

either direct or to or from,,
any advice

something cheap

maybe a 2x12 marshall from the pawn shop
"thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
thiers still time so escape,,,,
auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sell the 90 and just find a different amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Sell the bastard and get a tube amp.

A Fender Stage Reverb. Or DeVille. Something with 4 10" speakers, anyways. That would get you "big" sound.

Cheap amps and good amps are sort of mutually exclusive. A Marshall AVT or Valve-State would be bigger and louder, would be cheap, and would (in my opinion) sound like crap.

A Marshall JCM 800 model 2203 would be a great head. All tube, great tone. Match that up to a 4 x 12" cabinet, that thing would scream. Unfortunately, not cheap.

So, get tubes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Sell the bastard and get a tube amp.

A Fender Stage Reverb. Or DeVille. Something with 4 10" speakers, anyways. That would get you "big" sound.

Cheap amps and good amps are sort of mutually exclusive. A Marshall AVT or Valve-State would be bigger and louder, would be cheap, and would (in my opinion) sound like crap.

A Marshall JCM 800 model 2203 would be a great head. All tube, great tone. Match that up to a 4 x 12" cabinet, that thing would scream. Unfortunately, not cheap.

So, get tubes.

Get like a year or 1.5 years same as cash on a 4x10 tube amp and sell your deluxe 90. You will be happier and you can strech out the payments.

A combo at 4x10 is lighter and less bulky than a 4x12 stack and you still get some rich bass out of it. If you are gigging you will be happier with a 4x10 or your back will at least.

The fender hot rod series is only a couple hundred more than your deluxe 90.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    ?anybody have a deville, how is it
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by time2escape
    ?anybody have a deville, how is it

loud. and nice. you'd like it. a heavy bitch though. i had a tweed version. not the new black hotrod.
  • Options
    how much they go for?
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    $735US for the 2x12"
    $770US for the 4x10"

but you should be able to get one cheaper. and used should be much cheaper.
  • Options
    think in the 5's or 4's.

Peavy Classic 50 or classic 30 are excellent choices.

You can find a classic 30 for 300 bucks.
  • Options
    FlizankFlizank Posts: 59
    My friend has a devile. Nobody is lying when they tell you that Amp is heavy as... well I don't know, but I've carried chunks of cement light than that amp.
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.
  • Options
    Still better than lugging around a Marshall head and 4 x 12" cabinet.

The Peavey Classis series is basically just a ripoff of Fender's DeVille. But they did a good job on it, for sure. You can find them for quite a bit less, used, than the Fenders, but brand new, there isn't a lot of difference in price. My friend has a Peavey Classic 50 with 4 x 10" speakers, and it sounds about the same as the Fender Blues DeVille (tweed) and Hot Rod DeVille (black tolex). The Blues DeVille has a bit glassier clean tone, great for jazz (like with a ES 333 with the neck pickup) but doesn't achieve the rock distortion tones like the Hot Rod does. The Hot Rod does a great clean, a great edgy-clean-overdrive, a great regular overdrive, and decent distortion. Plus damned good reverb. The same can be said for the Peavey, although the Peavey tends to get a more metallic distortion sound. The new Peavey Classics have active cooling fans, which are great for keeping those tubes in great shape over a long time.
  • Options
    I actually prefer the peavy drive channel.

But the fender clean is better to my ear and channel switching is over rated. A good DS-1 (Esp Keeley) and a Blues Driver or Tube Screamer will have those things screaming like they should and they do scream.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    But the fender clean is better to my ear and channel switching is over rated. A good DS-1 (Esp Keeley) and a Blues Driver or Tube Screamer will have those things screaming like they should and they do scream.

I'm a firm supporter of the Tube Screamer, but there is something special about a tube-driven distortion channel. Replace that Groove Tube with an Electro-Harmonix, and that thing will scream just fine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I'm a firm supporter of the Tube Screamer, but there is something special about a tube-driven distortion channel. Replace that Groove Tube with an Electro-Harmonix, and that thing will scream just fine.

Ah, see I hadn't thought of a tube swap but now that you mention it. I have seen a deluxe with a Vintage 30 crammed in it and two THD converters so they could use EL-84's it was pretty damn good.

The best I've heard in the line was this guy gigging with a Blues Jr. He had changed the speaker again I think a V 30. and I think all the tubes were Ruby tubes. He had an Am Std strat with a Marshall Guvnor plus overdrive and it sounded incredible in that little club.

Eh tubes are great. I'm getting a set for my orange soon. Turning it up is just heavenly I wish I could do it more often.
  • Options
    I'm currently having EH tubes put in my Marshall (as soon as my amp tech gets back from vacation and installs my new transformer). Those are the best-sounding overdriven tubes (at least pre-amp tubes) ever. I figured I'd stick with the EH tubes for my EL34's, too... maybe not the best choice, but they're easy to get replacements for, and pretty reliable.