Options

Acoustic guitar "action" question

3manstack3manstack Posts: 202
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey

my friend has recently started playing guitar and the acoustic he has is set up pretty badly.

around the 12th fret theres a whole bunch of space between the neck and strings......

so does this mean that he has to adjust the truss rod?

if so which way?

looking at the guitar it looks like its got a pretty heavy bow outwards

(I the bracket is the neck the I is the strings (hope that makes sense)

which way (counterclockwise or clockwise would alleviate this problem)?

have looked on some sites but its all over my head and its easier to understand if someone else tells me.

thanks in advance.

thetriplestackedman
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'll see if I can help. I'm not 100% sure but guitars may differ from each other about which way to turn the trussrod. First of all, you should take all of the tension out of the strings. Tune them down so they are loose and jangly. That way, if you turn the rod the wrong way they won't break or damage the ivory bridge. Then slowly turn the rod a certain way. Look down the neck to see if it is bringing the neck straight or bowing it more. Once you get the right way, you can get it where you want it and re-tune the strings. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    Cheers chief, will give it a go.

Tank you veddy much.
  • Options
    don't go nuts turning the truss rod either. turn it a quarter or a half turn and let it sit for a while. It takes a little bit for the wood to adjust itself.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Thanks chief

All input is appreciated. quite looking forward to trying it out.
    been playing guitar 10 years myself but was always way too scared to touch the truss rod.

oh well first time for everything.

again, thanks very much