Options

Need advice with first guitar.......

hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to take up the guitar but have no idea where to begin. I know I should probably pick up a used one but do I go to a store, EBay? What should I look for? Should I bother with classes or just teach myself? ANy advice appreciated!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Here's how I did it. I bought myself a new Squire (the cheap guitars from Fender). They aren't the best out there but play very nice for that money. If you don't really know much about guitars yet, I wouldn't go buy a used one - unless it's from a store - and wouldn't go on ebay (anyone here buys guitars on ebay anyway?). As you progress and learn more about the instrument, youcan look around for better stuff.

I tought myself, which is not that hard to do, especially when you have internet. Then, when you see you like it and are eager to learn more, you can think of lessons or whatever. I personally think the best way to improve is to find other people to jam with. Don't think you should spend money on that.

And last but not least: enjoy yourselve!
  • Options
    my first was a knockoff strat i got for 100 but i suggest getting a fender standard strat
    fenders will last a lifetime if you take care of them and have some more high-end parts to them than squiers
    ...please stand by the shore
  • Options
    I meant acoustic guitar....sorry, my fault, I didn't say. I just read an article on the different types of guitars, lots to learn.
  • Options
    I started on acoustic, because you can get something pretty decent not too expensive, then started teaching myself off the net but found I wasnt getting too much out of it, started doing lessons 1 hour a week and practising for an hour or so every day and now Im lovin it!! Been going for about 9 months now and just bought my first electric (strat 62 reissue, woooowww!!!) and I love it. Acoustic is great for learning all the rhythm stuff and a few cool little riffs, then if youre still keen 6 months down the track, graban electric...
  • Options
    I suggest grabbing a cheap electric guitar and amp combo. even one of those strat packs. That'll get you started and won't blow the bank. I started with a strat rip Ibanez guitar and it worked out fine. As for lessons, start looking around for what kind of music you'd want to play (hopefully it's pearl jam ;)) and get a teacher that'll teach you what you want not other boring stuff.
    Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

[ G ]
  • Options
    If it's your first guitar, go to a store, not eBay. Make sure you try the guitar out first so you know how it feels for you. You don't have to pick one up and play something complicated--just get a feel for the size of the guitar, the action (height of the strings on the fretboard), and things like that.
    I would take lessons for a little while. Most music stores have instructors working there. Make sure you learn what you want to learn. There are some basics that you can't avoid, but you wouldn't want to skip them anyway because you won't be able to play very well without them. But don't let the teacher force you to learn songs by bands you don't like, unless he's just showing a short bit to show a certain technique or something. Just don't go home thinking you have to learn a Poison song if you don't like Poison.
    Also, starting with an acoustic is a good idea because you learn how to play without having distortion or anything to hide mistakes. It's also easier to go from acoustic to electric then it is to go the other way since it's usually easier to fret an electric.
  • Options
    GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    start on acoustic...you'll be able to hear more of your mistakes and you'll get much better much faster (if you play a lot)...my first guitar was a fender d-7 acoustic...not a bad guitar to start out and pretty cheap...just don't break the bank on your first guitar becaseu you might not keep playing...also with an acoustic you can take it anywhere and play and won't have to lug an amp around everywhere
  • Options
    LonoLono Posts: 5
    Hey all,

I think the most important thing a new player can do is to learn on acoustic. This is for a few good reasons: you can practice anywhere, and don't need an amp. You can better hear what you are doing with an acoustic. Most importantly, they are much much harder to play then an electric. This is important to build finger strength in the beginning.

Like others said, don't go to E bay. Go to a local music store and play around with the goods. Talk to the help, because they will be lifelong guitar players who love to share info.

have fun! I have been playing for about 15 years and everyday I am thankful I begun. It's still the coolest hobby out there... and yes, chicks dig it!
    in the end, I think of music as the saving grace for all of humanity - Henry Miller
  • Options
    Do you have any knowledge of music theory? This certainly helps.

Chords, chords, chords. Get a chord chart and forget about any that include <add> or <sus> or <m>. Learn all the MAJOR open chords first.

Take a shortcut. Pick a favorite key, say A. The three major chords in A are A,D,E. Learn those three, be able to change between them proficiently. With three chords you can play a million songs. Heck with two you can play the intro to "Black".

Of course if you really wanna have fun, you're going to have to learn barre chords, but first things first.
    I'm not a hate monger.
    I don't hate anyone.
    I'm more of a hate...stylist.
  • Options
    I really appreciate all the great advice. I play some piano so I'm confident that with practice I'll be able to figure it all out.