Options

JB/59 or JB/Jazz

PerceptionPerception Posts: 19
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I finaly narrowed it down to these 2 combinations of puck ups in my Epi Les Paul. Does anyone know what the difference in tone for these 2 combo's will be, looking for some last minute suggestions.
Nobody else here, nobody like me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JB Jazz will have less gain and be clear as a bell (Jazz guitar)

The 59 will sound much like a 59 les paul would. Alnico magnets thick warm and round smooth overdrive filiment wire wax potted.

If you want really really clean Jazz is the way to go.

If you play a lot of Rock get a 59.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    From what I read, I agree with Paco. The '59 will be grittier, have higher output, will come closer to matching the output of your JB, and will overdrive better. Would be the best choice for straight-up rock or dirty electric blues.

The Jazz model would need to be pushed pretty hard to distort, but that would mean really great clean tones, and with an overdrive pedal or overdriven amp, would just sound really glassy and bright, just a hint of drive. Would be great for jazzy-rock leads. It would give a really smooth rhythm (chord) sound in the clean channel, for sure.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Yeah so I just got back from Long and McQuade and apparently the JB is obsolete and Seymour Duncan isn't producing them anymore...Can anyone confirm this?...This kinda sucks since I gotta start researching again.
  • Options
    yeah they are kind of old but. Go to the website and see if they have Seth Lovers (the inventor of the humbucker)

They are identical to the patent applied for sticker on the 57 classic gibson p/u's that Seth designed essentially the p/u you were looking at maybe even slightly better.

Also look through the Antiquity line.

Your other P/U that you may love along the exact lines is the PAF.

PAF stands for Patent Applied For same as the Seth Lover.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#59153Model
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    My all-time favorite pickups are P-90's and Classic 57's. Duncan makes a great P-90, but you can only get the 57's from Gibson. The PAF 59's are great as well, but just not my favs. But a '57 Humbucker in the bridge of an arch-top Les Paul... mmmm, heaven...
  • Options
    see McCready. Great minds think alike. My all time favorite SG.

the Classic with P-90's

Favorite Hum's 57 classics or 59 (burstbuckers slightly overwound)
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks you guys are the best!, I'll let you know what I decide on.
  • Options
    Im thinking of going with a 57' or two but the reviews I've been reading on harmony central have been mixed. Anyone have hands on experience with them and what are your thoughts? Also do you know any combinations that would work well with a 57' or should I consider getting 2.
  • Options
    go to guitar center. Pick up a Les Paul Custom SG Custom or a SG 61 Reissue.

Or an ES-335. Strum away they are all equipped with 57 classics.
  • Options
    So I finally decided and went with SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge and a SH-2 Jazz in the neck. I ordered them today and hopefully they should be in sometime next week. Can't wait!!
  • Options
    an excellent choice. when they get here I suggest a 59 bollinger to sip while celebrating.
  • Options
    That sounds like a great combo. Now my big question: What color(s) did you get? I would've gone with zebra/reverse zebra. Actually, I don't know why, but I've always prefered sealed pickups.

Anyways, you'll have to fill us in on how they sound once you get them installed and jam out on 'em.