Options

I wanna go to school to be a tech.

edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is this possible?? I have been goin to school for a year and a half to be a teacher n it jus aint working out for me. I really want to do something with music(not teach it). A lot of my friends are in bands and when im around they always ask me how stuff sounds (high, lows, clarity, etc...) they say I have a magic ear cuz I can hear stuff they cant (maybe its the weed ... idunno). Most importantly, I enjoy working with music trying to make it sound better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Look into Berkley School of Music in Boston and any other place that has a degree in sound engineering or technology, or major in music and find work where you can. Be a janitor at a studio or something
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    You wanna be a live sound engineer, or a recording engineer?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    perferrably live, but I'll take what I can
  • Options
    Live engineer jobs are easier to come by, but don't pay as much... it's funny, most people who want to go to school for engineering want to be recording engineers. I do both, but mostly live sound...

Anyways, there aren't a WHOLE lot of places that teach live sound. Most colleges with intensive music technology courses include a few semesters of Live Sound as an elective option, but not as a main focus or degree program. Trade schools like Full Sail and the School of Audio Engineering have limited programs for live sound. Go to:

http://www.fullsail.com
    http://www.sae.edu
  • Options
    i go to school for sound arts right now. amazing program you learn it all...studio, live, post for movies. its called expression center for new media in emeryville, ca. (right next to berkeley, ca)

http://www.xnewmedia.com
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    My ultimate advice for live sound folks is to learn by doing... find a production company that does live sound, and get on the crew. Learn everything you can, work as many shows (big and small) that you can, work your way up. That's how I did it. Recording, especially at the pro level, is a whole different ball-game, but live sound is sort of a 'fly by the seat of your pants' experience, even at the pro level. But it's a hell of a lot of fun, too...
  • Options
    Thats really what I want to do is work live shows big or small, it really doesnt matter, and ,as you said,just work my way up. The only problem is that I dont know how to get started I live about an hour from cleveland or pittsburg, kinda in the middle of corn fields and factories! Not a big music scene around here!!!
  • Options
    You just gotta find that place... maybe a bar, or a theater, or someplace that has concerts. Find a production company. An hour from Cleveland and Pittsburg... you should be able to find a dozen production companies in either town. Especially Cleveland, the home of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame... Sure, you might have to drive an hour both ways, but it'll be worth it.