Options

I swear I'm going to put this guitar out its misery...

FlizankFlizank Posts: 59
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Now, I probably should have given it a second thought, but last week, i changed the pickgaurd on my 2003 Fender American Strat from the traditional white to black, as well as the tremelo guard, and the pickup covers, and the knobs, etc... So the 'operation' went fine, but results went... shity. Afterwards, I restrung my guitar, and my low E string is making this very low buzzing sound every time its played hard enough. I just figured its because its a new string, but the sound won't go away! I've NEVER had a problem similar to this on any guitar in the past. In addition, today I was writing a song and I wanted to know what it'd sound like with distortion, so I plug the pedal in, and.. vola! no sound at all. I tried with 5 different wires in all combinations, and two different amps.. i tried two different pedals, and two different guitars. My Fender didn't work, but my other guitar did. This is so aggrivating! Its been a solid week of my guitar not working like it should! its not like I did a poor job replacing the pickguard, either. I took my time, amde sure everything was in its right place, and there is no reason for my guitar not to work with a pedal!

someone help me out!!!!
PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
Don't get behind I can't fall back.
Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
They don't want no change. We already have.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    take it up to sam ash or guitar center, its your only shot. if you cant figure it out right now, you never will. get it fixed asap, i am going to cry just thinking about having a strat that doesnt work.

i want a strat

i have an rg3120 (red dragon) and it kicks ass, but i need a strat
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I wonder if the buzzing of the E-string is on the frets, in the tuner, or if it's electronic. Usually, it's caused by the string vibrating into the frets (when struck really hard). The neck of your guitar might have warped slightly from having all the strings off and then being restrung. This loss of tension and then re-tensioning can lead to a slight neck warp, and cause the problem you describe. Unless you know how to adjust the neck on your guitar, I'd take it in to a technician who can straighten it out for you. To find out if it's fret buzz, strike the string really hard, then look down the length of the string from the bridge and see if the string vibrates excessively and gets close to the fretboard.

As for the distortion problem, I'm a bit confused. Does the guitar sound normal (or close to normal) when played clean, and then disappear when the distortion is engaged? Or is there no signal coming out at all? Do you use a certain pickup for playing clean, and another for distortion? Does changing the pickup selector cause the guitar to cut in and/or out? My first guess is that a wire somewhere has come loose as a result of your modifications, and that the lost connection is causing your problem, but there's now way to be sure. I'd just check to make sure all the wires are soldered on correctly, that there aren't any wires just hanging loose anywhere.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    could be a short in the pedal jacks as well.

open er up and check all the soldier joints. fender gets sloppy you could have just knocked one loose.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.