Options

Need some opinions on this

djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, Im 16 years old right now. Ive been taking guitar lessons for a while, and I know a decent amount about playing, and I really love it. I own a Squire Strat and a Fender Frontman 15watt right now. Im making a Jazzmaster, which will be my number 1 when Im done. Im raised by a poor single mother, so not too much money going around, and Im at school till 6 and Im on a couple sports teams, so getting a job is tough. I also dont own a car, and my mom only has one car, and its not in great shape. My question is this: I want to be able to play in my area (school functions, etc...), so what I want to know is basically if I should just put this guitar stuff on hold, buy a car live like a normal teenager when I get the money, or do I focus on trying to do something I love, and start buying gear. And if so what kinda amp/pedals/etc. should I get that would be about the minimum for being able to gig. Thanks in advance guys
"Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    In music, you have a definate advantage if you start to be serious about playing at an early age. If you have the interest and the drive, keep working on your music. I think being an average kid in high school is highly over-rated. Start playing everywhere you can.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Follow your dreams. If you don't you will regret it. I wish I could help you out with advice on gear but I know little about it myself. Good luck. :)
    I got a plan
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Do what you love...the road ahead may seem rough but hang in there.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    HoonHoon Posts: 175
    Don't buy a car unless you really need to. After my first one I had when I was in high school I haven't had one since. They are a money pit.
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    play. period.

all you *need* really is a little amp that does the basics. the rest can wait. just play.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you got all you need. man. Play till your fingers bleed. the gear can wait. Remember all those blues legends started with nothing but Sears and Robuck Stellas that were around 20 bucks. You have all you need. Just play live all you can to anyone that will listen.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Unfortunately, my two loves are cars and guitars. Both are damned expensive. My car is currently in the shop for stupid repairs that caught me by surprise, right after I bought a guitar speaker, right before I was going to order a pair of guitar pedals, and right when I have little money to spare.

Trust me, I would just play and play and play, learn as much as you can, write as much as you can. Get a cheap RadioShack tape recorder, and record your songs. Get in a band. Bum a bunch of rides from friends, bandmates, and groupies. You can get a car when you're a rockstar or when you have the means to get a job. They are indeed a money pit.

If you have questions about specific types of gear, just ask away in here. If you don't have a lot of money to toss around, let us recommend stuff so you don't buy a bunch of crap that you don't like or never use. We (or at least I) learned the hard way. There's a lot of crap that looked good to start with, or sounded great in the music shop.

Best of luck, buddy. And keep playing!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.