Options

G&L guitars, what do you guys think?

StraightDayBusStraightDayBus Posts: 7
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Do any of you have a G&L? Or have you played one before? I got a custom made G&L a few years ago and I fuckin' love it. No guitar feels better in my hands. It plays so smooth and the feel is just amazing. So any other G&L lovers out there?
"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead" - Layne Staley

Vancouver '98
Vancouver '03
Benaroya Hall, Seattle '03
Arnhem '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    haven't played one (never seen a lefty) but i know they're good. they're the "real" fenders nowadays.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by StraightDayBus
    Do any of you have a G&L? Or have you played one before? I got a custom made G&L a few years ago and I fuckin' love it. No guitar feels better in my hands. It plays so smooth and the feel is just amazing. So any other G&L lovers out there?

As I love Leo Fender so do I love G&L. They are built the way Leo and George Fullerton intended guitars to be made. They are excellent they play and sound like the original fenders.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Played a G&L bass a friend o mine owns... it's beautiful. Somehow it seems that those guitars recieved a lot more care than the average stock Fender. Still there is something in Fenders (the Magic Headstock?) that attracts me like no other guitar brand can... but it'd take a custom shop Fender to match a G&L quality-wise, I think.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    Played a G&L bass a friend o mine owns... it's beautiful. Somehow it seems that those guitars recieved a lot more care than the average stock Fender. Still there is something in Fenders (the Magic Headstock?) that attracts me like no other guitar brand can... but it'd take a custom shop Fender to match a G&L quality-wise, I think.

Pariah, find an old Fender pre 1967 and play it then a G&L next to each other.

I feel you on the magic headstock. It's so important for what ever reason, but G&L's are real fenders. I've never played a better guitar than an original 1965 Fender Stratocaster. G&L's are the evolution of those guitars, though I'll probably never own one Don Grosh also builds fenders the way they are supposed to be built.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Anyone ever played a G&L Tele? Has those weird-looking pickups... always wondered how they sounded. Here's a Tele with one of the funky pups in the neck position:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031030202616209206230188149753/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/100399

Some of their Strats have interesting pups, too. Check this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031030202616209206230188149753/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/81809

I'm sure they sound good, I just want to know HOW they sound... classic Fender, or funky and new? Higher output? Grittier? They sure look beefier.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I've only played a classic strat once, a '63. My teacher let me use it for a lesson once. So I can't really compare my G&L to an old strat but all i know is that it kicks ass. They really do sound amazing.
    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead" - Layne Staley

Vancouver '98
    Vancouver '03
    Benaroya Hall, Seattle '03
    Arnhem '06
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Pariah, find an old Fender pre 1967 and play it then a G&L next to each other.

I'm sorry... You're totally right, of course. I meant Fenders that are being produced nowadays. Even the American Standards are often set up poorly (my own and friend's experiences). They can be made as good as G&L's with some aftermarket care, but I think that should be standard.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i don't know about all shops but the one i buy my stuff at throws in a free set-up to your specs on any guitar you buy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    I'm sorry... You're totally right, of course. I meant Fenders that are being produced nowadays. Even the American Standards are often set up poorly (my own and friend's experiences). They can be made as good as G&L's with some aftermarket care, but I think that should be standard.

yeah you're right. As much as evil corporations get talked about badly on here, CBS had more negative influences on Fender than positive ones.

G&L's are made the way God and Leo Fender intended, I believe they are on Par with Fender Custom Shop. There is always John Suhr or Tom Anderson but hell, I saw a used G&L legacy at Guitar Center, It had been set on fire in a music store that burned down It looked amazing, played amazing. If I'd had 500 bucks I would have bought it. I just can't get by the "magic" headstock. I want a fender so bad.