Options

Need some serious tube help here

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay, so my 1966 Fender Vibro Champ, the blackface one in gorgeous condition, the love of my life, the source of all things holy to me, took a dive this weekend.

Here's the problem: My buddy was recording some slide guitar with the amp, and had her running pretty hot, like 7 out of 10 (sounded great on tape, by the way). He was playing a track while listening to the DI he was using, and went to play the track back and got no signal from the amp. Upon further inspection, the amp has very little output, and distorts badly when heavy notes are played (like an open low E-string) even if played at very low volume levels. There is no change in volume between 2 and 10 on the dial. There is only one power tube, and it got extremely hot after playing it for a couple minutes. Considerably more warm than the preamp tubes and tube rectifier. The tone is flat and buzzy. I have a feeling that the power tube is shot. It didn't glow bright red, but it got so hot that I'm pretty sure it's the culprit.

Will take it to see an amp tech this week after I get my car all fixed, but I wanted to ask the opinion of this board before I make a move. I definitely don't want to just replace the tube and end up with the same problem in a month, I want it fixed, and fixed right. So what do we think? Am I screwed?

This has effectively ruined my weekend... it's like I've lost a beloved pet or family member or something... when my buddy told me, I just felt sick. I hope she's alright...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    just sounds like you blew a tube. have them take a look at it though just be safe.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    being one to have seen a champ blown before I believe it's the tube, Find an actual repair man or just search for Sal Trentino on MSN or Google to tell you on what's wrong inside the tube. Sal listed a great article on troubleshooting. It's not blown because you still get sound but the tube is old probably and more than likely worn out the sound you are getting is I believe microphonics Just find a new EH tube or even try to find some NOS Phillips or such and try that. I'm almost certain that's the problem. One other question how long has it been since the filter caps were replaced? Your baby probably needs a tune up.

" Have your power output tubes changed (6V6, 6L6, 6BQ5, 6550, 6CA7, EL34, EL84 etc.) about once a year, or more often if you play every day for roughly six or eight hours, or if you notice a dullness in your sound. Always purchase matched pairs, or quads, of output tubes; they will sound and work much better than unmatched output tubes. Even if you only need a pair of matched output tubes, it is very wise to buy a matched quadruplet set so you will have a pair that is ready to use without a big change in tone . If you see glowing red plates in your output tubes, STOP! You either have failed tubes or circuitry trouble, and failure to shut the amp off usually results in major blown parts ($$$). The preamplifier tubes, the 12AX7`s and 12AT7 smaller type tubes might last for several changes of output tubes, but this is not a rule. If you hear jingles, rattles, pops, squeals or if the gain or attack decreases, it may be time to have these tubes changed out."

Quote from Sal Trentino
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Actually, I went straight to Trentino's site, read up on what he had to say. I was interested in getting the amp re-capped earlier, now I think it's a necessity. Also, the electrolytic in the power transformer may be a problem. I'm going to call up an amp tech this afternoon and make an appointment.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I couldn't remember what it was but that's it. Aparently a lot of the older amps have worn out filter caps. that need replacement more often. Don't mess around in there because of the high voltages stored in the caps. You could get shocked badly. It'll smoke in a good way when it gets redone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Well, it's a small amp... I'd probably only be in the hospital for a couple days, a week tops. Now, an Ampeg SVT-classic, that would hurt.

This amp is more important than any other single piece of gear in my collection. You can bet she'll get the best care possible.