Options

Question for drummers....

kvanhimbkvanhimb Posts: 14
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
someone enlighten me on the point of having two drummers....for example the Dead, Allman Bros, those jam bands of the 60s and 70s
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    When one drummer gets horribly off-beat due to pharmeceutical usage, the other one can carry thru...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    When one drummer gets horribly off-beat due to pharmeceutical usage, the other one can carry thru...

that and you can have multiple parts. You have a drummer and a percussionist. Much more flexibility and sounds.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    that and you can have multiple parts. You have a drummer and a percussionist. Much more flexibility and sounds.

Well, the folks he mentioned actually had two drummers with full drumsets, not like a drummer and a percussionist a la Santana... it would make sense to have a drummer, and then a guy with timbales and congas and some shakers and toys.

The Eagles also had two drummers, but since Don Henley sang, that was almost a necessity. Hell, he was a decent drummer, but he should've gotten out from behind the kit if he was gonna sing lead.

Personally, I say one drum set per band is enough...

Pavement had a second drummer, but he played a stripped-down kit with a snare, hi-hats, and some cymbals. He was also sort of a hype-guy, too, so I was able to look past that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.