Options

digital recording

present_tensepresent_tense Posts: 121
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey there

Im looking for anyones opinion on the following gear. Im in the market for stand alone digital studios, and a few have caught my eye. Let me know your thoughts on these...........

-Boss 1180
-Yamaha aw16g
-korg d1600
-Zoom 1266
-Korg d1200
the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    all are decent. I prefer the Boss because I like Roland and it's fairly easy. Check them out on Harmony-Central.com

I don't know about the Korg or the zoom. Yamaha seems to make quality goods across the board. I love thier home audio stuff though I chose Denon, I picked out a Yamaha for my father.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I use that exact Korg unit, the D1600 16-track, and I love it more than life itself. The preamps suck, but everything else about it rocks. If you have a soundboard or an 8-channel mic preamp in front of that thing, it's amazing. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the others... maybe I'll take a second look and get back to you...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I use that exact Korg unit, the D1600 16-track, and I love it more than life itself. The preamps suck, but everything else about it rocks. If you have a soundboard or an 8-channel mic preamp in front of that thing, it's amazing. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the others... maybe I'll take a second look and get back to you...

what about getting the Korg, and then a better Preamp?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I use a 16-channel 8-output Soundcraft recording console, and I love the results. You really need an external, higher-quality preamp, and EQ and compression help, too. I would at least get a Focusrite or PreSonus preamp to put in front, or maybe a Mackie. Plus, you'll be able to take advantage of 8-track simultaneous recording.

The Korg D1600 has one big leg up on the competition: 16 true mono tracks, with faders for each. That's huge for me.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.