Options

my lame keeley comp review

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
the review's lame. not the pedal.

Price Paid: US $219
Ease of Use: 10
very simple as long as you understand the concept of a compressor. keeley provide a manual and some commentary on his favourite setting to get you started.

true bypass/blue led/9V power jack

Sound Quality: 10
setup: strat/tele/lespaul/etc. -> boss volume -> TB Vox V847 -> phase 100 -> keeley comp -> pharaoh class a boost -> keeley blues driver -> russian bigg muff -> line6 DL4 -> fender 65 deluxe reverb RI/Line 6 POD2.

quite a quiet compressor. only gets noisy at higher sustain and level settings. i usually have the sustain between 9-12 o'clock and the leve around 10-11o'clock and have no complaints about noise. these settings give me a very good sustain and a light boost on solos and liven up fingerpicking. those are my two main uses thus far.

keeley recommends placing the compressor after distortion in the signal chain but i found that it squished things too much for my taste so i run it before my drives.

Reliability: 10
i took at look at the guts and everything looks solid. i don't anticipate any problems. wouldn't need a backup in my opinion. treat your pedals well and they'll treat you well.

Customer Support: 10
got quick replies from keeley to acknowledge the order and an estimate of delivery time that held true.

website has an excellent set of sound clips courtesy of jason barker that sold me on this pedal.

Overall Rating: 10
i bought this in the hopes of improving my sound for solos and picking and it's doing it's job very well. i read most of these reviews before proceeded and i feel the glowing feedback on this pedal is justified.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    so I should order one huh. I'm buying a couch today though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    so I should order one huh. I'm buying a couch today though.

i don't know. depends on how badly you think you need one. i probably just sound have bought the dynacomp for the amount i use it.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i don't know. depends on how badly you think you need one. i probably just sound have bought the dynacomp for the amount i use it.

well I plan to use it all the time really if I can. I love the tone on my strat, I just can't squash it too much. Maybe I'm wierd but I kind of enjoyed the pumping sound of the dynacomp and there are so many good compressors, but it would kind of suck thinking there was one better I should have bought you know. I wonder which is better. The Keeley or the Bi Comprossor.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    well I plan to use it all the time really if I can. I love the tone on my strat, I just can't squash it too much. Maybe I'm wierd but I kind of enjoyed the pumping sound of the dynacomp and there are so many good compressors, but it would kind of suck thinking there was one better I should have bought you know. I wonder which is better. The Keeley or the Bi Comprossor.

i have no idea which is better. if you're going to use it all the time though, i'd say the investment is worth it for either one.