Options

i came withing $7 of wining a 64 vibro champ.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
so close. so very close.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

in all seriousness, how much are they worth?

there's a 68 silverface out there too. i believe that pre-dated the changes CBS started making.
  • Options
    I personally would never own a silverface, but since I already have a '65 blackface, I can get a bit snooty about it. I would definitely go pre-CBS, but I'm not sure when the design changed. The '67s are safe, but I'm not sure about the '68s.

I would just go to eBay and find the Vibro Champs, then click the link to watch the auctions of models you like. Then see how much they end up selling for, and keep track. I bought mine for $100 US (the vibrato didn't work, so I got a steal... new $8 tube, and I'm in business) so I'm really not sure of true value. I've seen silverface Vibro Champs from '68 to '74 going for $300-500 US in vintage gear shops... and I've only ever seen one blackface for sale other than mine. I ran into a '69 silverface Vibro Champ at a pawn shop selling for $120. I would've bought it if I hadn't been broke at the time.
  • Options
    this 64 went for $407.

there is a real 65 deluxer reverb sitting at $1100 right now. yikes.
  • Options
    Have patience... the amp of your dreams may be just around the corner. Do you pawn-shop?
  • Options
    Have patience... the amp of your dreams may be just around the corner. Do you pawn-shop?

i've tried a couple times but found nothing but shit here.
  • Options
    Most pawn shops are shit. But there are diamonds in the rough. I got a Marshall JCM 800, a Fender TeleSonic, an Ibanez digital delay, three speaker cabinets (including my prized 4 x 10"), a Gallien-Krueger bass amp head, and the very first guitar I ever owned from pawn shops. Make a round of the two or three best ones in your area every two or three weeks. Keep an eye out, you'll get screaming deals if you do.
  • Options
    Just for future reference, you want the AA764 chassis, that's the original blackface chassis. Apparently, that chassis was used up through 1968.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Most pawn shops are shit. But there are diamonds in the rough. I got a Marshall JCM 800, a Fender TeleSonic, an Ibanez digital delay, three speaker cabinets (including my prized 4 x 10"), a Gallien-Krueger bass amp head, and the very first guitar I ever owned from pawn shops. Make a round of the two or three best ones in your area every two or three weeks. Keep an eye out, you'll get screaming deals if you do.

Probably all stolen from music stores. Sad but true.

Sorry about the Vibro Champ Ex, that's tough, a great amp too. I think you'd be just as satisfied sinking that money into a weber speaker and new tubes.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Probably all stolen from music stores. Sad but true.

Well, I sorta doubt that around here, at least... a lot of stolen gear ends up at our pawn shops, but not from music stores. And most people who steal gear would be smart to stay away from pawn shops, our cops actually check there for stolen goods. Really, a lot of my gear has been bought because it wasn't functioning right, and a quick and easy fix got things right. People freak out when stuff isn't working right, so they pawn it... then, a simple tube swap or solder joint and you're jammin'. A few of my toys have been vintage gear in a town that likes new Peavey stuff over old stuff with torn tolex. I picked up a Sunn 6 x 10" cabinet for my bass, loaded with brand-new JBL speakers, for $200! My G-K bass head looks iffy, but sounds great... I got that, in a 6-space SKB rack, for $120. The SKB goes for $149 on Musicians Friend! Like I said, you can get good deals if you know what you're looking for and they don't know what they have.
  • Options
    Well, I sorta doubt that around here, at least... a lot of stolen gear ends up at our pawn shops, but not from music stores. And most people who steal gear would be smart to stay away from pawn shops, our cops actually check there for stolen goods. Really, a lot of my gear has been bought because it wasn't functioning right, and a quick and easy fix got things right. People freak out when stuff isn't working right, so they pawn it... then, a simple tube swap or solder joint and you're jammin'. A few of my toys have been vintage gear in a town that likes new Peavey stuff over old stuff with torn tolex. I picked up a Sunn 6 x 10" cabinet for my bass, loaded with brand-new JBL speakers, for $200! My G-K bass head looks iffy, but sounds great... I got that, in a 6-space SKB rack, for $120. The SKB goes for $149 on Musicians Friend! Like I said, you can get good deals if you know what you're looking for and they don't know what they have.

wow, our pawn shops are often more expensive than our music stores.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    wow, our pawn shops are often more expensive than our music stores.

I see that around here, too... a Fender Squire guitar going for $300... Marshall Valve-state for $800... I just laugh. Typically, it's the vintage gear that's been scratched and scuffed that's cheaper. Which is great for me, 'cause I love vintage gear. But the rest of the people here like crappy new gear over great used gear, so I get the deals.
  • Options
    perhaps it's regional, the pawn shop type music stores outside of atlanta had a few vintage pieces at fucking ridiculous prices. Even the shit they had was way overpriced. I tried to tell the guy that worked in the store why they would be out of business and he didn't listen. Now they are out of business. Too bad.
  • Options
    It probably is regional... this town is small, the bands that do business here are all country-classic rock cover bands, so Ibanez guitars and Peavey amps. There are a few guys who have nice vintage stuff, but they have what they need, not buying more. I've been in vintage gear stores in Portland, Seattle, LA and Boston, and I've seen some ridiculous prices on used vintage gear. There was a place selling a '66 or so Fender Mustang in gorgeous condition, the paint checked in a beautiful pattern, very little wear, great neck... for $600... if I hadn't been going through a "hate Fender" phase, I would've bought it.
  • Options
    It probably is regional... this town is small, the bands that do business here are all country-classic rock cover bands, so Ibanez guitars and Peavey amps. There are a few guys who have nice vintage stuff, but they have what they need, not buying more. I've been in vintage gear stores in Portland, Seattle, LA and Boston, and I've seen some ridiculous prices on used vintage gear. There was a place selling a '66 or so Fender Mustang in gorgeous condition, the paint checked in a beautiful pattern, very little wear, great neck... for $600... if I hadn't been going through a "hate Fender" phase, I would've bought it.

yeah I've found that you can get those mustangs fairly cheap around here too. Usually they are beat to hell but that looks so cool anyway.
  • Options
    the canadian dollar is going back down so i'm down my ebay buying spree.

however, it's an awesome time to start selling stuff.
  • Options
    yeah I've found that you can get those mustangs fairly cheap around here too. Usually they are beat to hell but that looks so cool anyway.

i bought my '70 for ~US$650 about 4 years ago here. mustangs just aren't worth much according to the price books.