Options

Ok Exhausted/Paco

2»

Comments

• Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    ha, so in other words your getting sick of me??

just kidding, thanks for all the help.

Ive worked with a guy at savage audio (where the savage amps are made, and stones tech works) so hes helped me out alot, not stones tech but another guy, so ill probably just go in with him and get some advice...
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by 62strat
    ha, so in other words your getting sick of me??

just kidding, thanks for all the help.

Ive worked with a guy at savage audio (where the savage amps are made, and stones tech works) so hes helped me out alot, not stones tech but another guy, so ill probably just go in with him and get some advice...

no no. not at all, it's just that i've reached the end of my limited expertise. i know you can do things like tube changes and whatnot but i'm not qualified to say exactly what those are. ie, i don't want to cause amp blowupedness.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the guys at savage know amplifiers. they would definately know what to get to solve your problem.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    After all the discussion, I would retract my recommendation of a '65 Twin Reverb RI and instead recommend a '65 Deluxe Reverb RI:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103201820150131025216164859/g=home/search/detail/base_id/34509

22 watts, single 12" speaker, great tone. Can play that sucker at 5 or 6 and still be a reasonable volume. Sound guys will love you (I know; I'm a sound guy). Or, if you have endless sums of money and a taste for great amps, try this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569706917&category=38074

I know the Marshall Power Brakes are basically designed for Marshall 100-watt heads, so I can understand how they would suck on a Fender Twin. Attenuators are basically heaters. They take the power output of the amp, send some into the speaker(s) and then put the rest into a resistor that converts the energy into heat and dissipates it. So instead of 60 watts of output going to the speakers, you have say 40 watts to the speakers and 20 watts of heat.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    that 66 deluxe is gorgeous.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    that 66 deluxe is gorgeous.

Is it a bad sign that I checked the bank account and ran some figures? Before deciding that I can't afford an $800 amp? Of course, MF is selling reissues for $799.99, so the deal gets better and better. Plus, all the maintenance in the last year... that thing's ready to rock.
  • Options
    does this 20 watt amp breakup at all on the clean if its turned up?

im scared to drop from 100 watts to 20 watts....even though i know the benefits....
  • Options
    does this 20 watt amp breakup at all on the clean if its turned up?

im scared to drop from 100 watts to 20 watts....even though i know the benefits....

Well... it's a single-channel amp, so it's as clean as you dial it to be. But with your overdrive/distortion pedals, you can dial in a good clean tone and then get your drive out of the pedals. I would personally dial in a good clean tone at around 4, it will be edgy but still clean. Exhausted has a Deluxe, so he might be able to help you a little better than I can.

Another option is somewhere in the middle... like a Marshall Bluesbreaker, with 30 watts and 2 - 12" speakers:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103201820150131025216164859/g=home/search/detail/base_id/37227

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is 40 watts, a lot of Marshall amps are 40 to 50 watts (mostly heads, though) and Fender DeVilles are all 60 watts. Peavey Classic-series amps (especially the Classic 50) are good... Classic 50's with 4 x 10" or with 2 x 12" are good choices. Their Delta Blues is a good amp, as well, with 30 watts into a 15" speaker.

I'd hate to say it, but MAYBE Line 6 would be a good option, too...
  • Options
    ya im not a fan of the line 6. ive played through a delux and adeville..both very nice but it doesnt sound...umm, natural to me...i dont know, something was missing...

im gonna head down to savage audio in the next few days and get some advice...il look into that marshall breaker.....
  • Options
    ya im not a fan of the line 6. ive played through a delux and adeville..both very nice but it doesnt sound...umm, natural to me...i dont know, something was missing...

im gonna head down to savage audio in the next few days and get some advice...il look into that marshall breaker.....

Fender has a custom shop model built strait out of the custom shop called a bass breaker. It's cheaper than a Bluesbreaker and might suit your tone more, though I think since you like clean well Fender Clean as it is, tweed or british might not be the way to go becuase the tweeds break up to early and the brits are just a different sound because of the different tubes and speakers. I'd still look into the 40 watt RI's just because I own a 15 watt Orange right now and I almost wish it was 30 because of the headroom but I'm not in a band and you'll want more watts whether the sound guy wants you to have them or not. Hell the 40 watters may break up to early for you given that you're used to the twin. The compressor will help that though.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    After all the discussion, I would retract my recommendation of a '65 Twin Reverb RI and instead recommend a '65 Deluxe Reverb RI:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031103201820150131025216164859/g=home/search/detail/base_id/34509

22 watts, single 12" speaker, great tone. Can play that sucker at 5 or 6 and still be a reasonable volume. Sound guys will love you (I know; I'm a sound guy). Or, if you have endless sums of money and a taste for great amps, try this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569706917&category=38074

i'm a bid advocate of the 65 DR RI.