Options

Vox vs. Marshall

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do they stack up against Marshall's in general. No particular model in mind here....
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by 2-feign-reluctance
    How do they stack up against Marshall's in general. No particular model in mind here....

depends on what you play.

Marshalls are more crunchy and heavy.

Voxes are much cleaner and crisp with a very distinctive tone some people find it annoying. It can be very bright and clean they are also known for their tremelo's and top boosts.

You'll find people that absolutely adore Voxes and some that hate them, Marshall is more generic. Both have reliability problems.

If you like the vox tone you should check out Orange and Matamp. Extremely well built amplifiers with the classic british tone. Also Supro would be a good one to try.

It depends on what you want the amp to do. Marshalls are probably more versatile.

Ultimately I prefer Fender cleans to Vox but it's apples and oranges.

If you want a more flexible amp get a Marshall DSL or TSL you can't go wrong from the 800's 900's or 2000's.

http://www.orange-amps.com http://www.matamp.com

http://www.marshallamps.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I remember back in the day when Dave Grohl had a pair of Vox AC-30's for his clean tone, and he loved them, but his guitar tech and sound engineers hated them. Now he's just using Mesas, if I am correct. They certainly look cool. I'd probably recommend a Marshall Bluesbreaker:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031030202616209206230188149753/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/37227

My buddy loves his, and he gets great tone out of it. The Vox amps seem to be more tempermental, and it can be hard to find a guy to work on them if you live outside the major cities. But there's a reason that Savage and Top Hat amps have virtually copied the AC-30 design. The Beatles had an exclusive deal with Vox, and Paul still plays Vox amps for his guitar (Mesa Boogie for bass).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I remember back in the day when Dave Grohl had a pair of Vox AC-30's for his clean tone, and he loved them, but his guitar tech and sound engineers hated them. Now he's just using Mesas, if I am correct. They certainly look cool. I'd probably recommend a Marshall Bluesbreaker:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031030202616209206230188149753/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/37227

My buddy loves his, and he gets great tone out of it. The Vox amps seem to be more tempermental, and it can be hard to find a guy to work on them if you live outside the major cities. But there's a reason that Savage and Top Hat amps have virtually copied the AC-30 design. The Beatles had an exclusive deal with Vox, and Paul still plays Vox amps for his guitar (Mesa Boogie for bass).

love bluesbreakers. but I'd rather have a Fender custom shop bassbreaker. Imagine the balls on that thing when you crank it and put a Tubescreamer in front of it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Well, if you asked MY preference... a 1959 Fender Bassman. But for that other guy... I thought a Bluesbreaker Marshall would be better than a Vox AC-30.
  • Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    And speaking of that good ol' British tone, if you're liking Vox's, I'd also check out Ashdown amps... very good amps for what they're worth, and you'll get a very loud, punchy sound out of them if that's what you're going for...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    grohl is had AC30s for clean and mesa road kings for dirty.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Thom and Johnny from Radiohead are still using AC-30's? Anyways, from http://www.guitargeek.com, they say "DAVE INSISTS UPON USING THE VOX AC-30S FOR HIS CLEAN SOUNDS EVEN THOUGH ALL OF THE ROAD CREW HATES THE WAY THEY BREAK UP ONSTAGE" - FOO FIGHTER'S GUITAR TECH
    http://guitargeek.com/rigview/379/

And they identify the Mesas as Dual Rectifiers...

Of course, now he plays those Armstrong acrylic guitars and just Boogie amps.
  • Options
    road kings are dual rec. and the official foo site still lists the ac30s.

thom now uses a marshall bluesbreaker. jonny still uses an ac30 as one of his amps i believe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted

thom now uses a marshall bluesbreaker. jonny still uses an ac30 as one of his amps i believe.

many people prefer the single recs as well saying that they break up sooner than the triple recs. This would make sense given the lessend compression from having 2 less rectifiers. That being said the road kind is the model for "give me enough knobs and I can control the world"
  • Options

Ah... thus the confusion. Hmm... I've seen them perform on TV recently, and I didn't see the AC-30's out there. Maybe he hid them somewhere.
  • Options
    road kings fucking scare me. more knobs than a high school rugby team.
  • Options
    road kings fucking scare me. more knobs than a high school rugby team.

how about these. Basically hot rot custom shop fenders.

http://www.rivera.com/prod_latest.htm
  • Options
    You'd love my Pignose amp. One knob for On/Volume. Hell, I love my Pignose amp. Who doesn't love a Pignose amp?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    how about these. Basically hot rot custom shop fenders.

http://www.rivera.com/prod_latest.htm

Mmmm... the Quiana 410 sounds like heaven to me... like a 2-channel Bassman with reverb... I'd just hate to tell people I play an amp called "Quiana"...
  • Options
    Mmmm... the Quiana 410 sounds like heaven to me... like a 2-channel Bassman with reverb... I'd just hate to tell people I play an amp called "Quiana"...

It's actually a super reverb I think. Paul Rivera worked in the custom shop at fender for many years. I absolutely adore the chubster, with a subwoofer, forget the 4x12, it's all there already, just crank it.

I though about trading my orange for all of say 5 seconds.
  • Options
    "I play a Rivera Quiana."

Translation:

"Hi, I'm gay."

I mean, where does he come up with these names?

Yeah, I was aware of Paul's connection to Fender...

I've always been suspect of any amp that claims it can accurately reproduce both a JTM45 and a '59 Bassman, not to mention any other amps in between. Brown sounds, Blackface sounds... It just doesn't sound right. Unless he's got two completely different amps in that one box.
  • Options
    "I play a Rivera Quiana."

Translation:

"Hi, I'm gay."

I mean, where does he come up with these names?

Yeah, I was aware of Paul's connection to Fender...

I've always been suspect of any amp that claims it can accurately reproduce both a JTM45 and a '59 Bassman, not to mention any other amps in between. Brown sounds, Blackface sounds... It just doesn't sound right. Unless he's got two completely different amps in that one box.

Yeah I hate the name too, that's why I'd go with the chubster.

Well I know you can get the amps in 6L6 or EL34 configuration I think. Its not going to be right on either amp but with the various boosts and brightness you can get really close. The clean is very good and so is the dirty but you know how that goes its all speculation and it's up to your ears. I wonder what Quinana means anyway besides that you have 2 dads.