Options

Anyone know anything about Hofner guitars?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
This the kind of guitars The Kills use and they sound damn fine when they play 'em.

Here's an example of one, from Ebay, of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558817151&category=2384
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Not very helpful...but my dad played one in the sixties and it was stolen.
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • Options
    Damn', that's a shame. Did he like the guitar? Whrn watching the kills it sounds and looks like a voodoo axe. Heavy rockblues tones and a look to go with it. Anyone else?
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    great, cheap 60's guitars.

Paul McCartney played a hofner bass.

I like the hollowbodies they are getting pricier lately.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I've seen a guy asking 175 euro for one: it's in my country, not far from where I live. I think I might get it for 100-150 euro. Should I do this? Ideas please!

Here's the guitar:

http://shop.kapaza.be/divapo/detail/?id=103509
  • Options
    Turns out he actually had two. A Hofner Senator and a Colorama. The Senator was a huge hollow bodied beast that fed back like a bastard on stage. And yeah, as Pacomc said, they were really cheap back then - for people who couldn't afford American Fenders. I think it was the Colorama he got for about £15 second hand. Not exactly too sure how they actually were soundwise, but he claims to this day that with the Colorama on the neck pick-up hooked up to his Vox AC30 slightly overdriven gave the best blues sound he's ever had.
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the hofner violin bass is one of the coolest things ever invented, totally different sound than you're used to.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.