Options

would this not make the coolest guitar ever?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.warmoth.com/thrift/wgp_body_detail.asp?itemNumber=jmp25

left-handed jazzmaster. rear-routed for 3 P-90s!!!

edit: i'm buying it. coolest guitar ever.

i'm going to strip down my old strat for some of the parts.

i'm going to have to build the rest over time due to money but it'll be so worth it!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nice looking stuff! The body looks cool Those guys have the greatest pieces. My problem (with me, not them ) is that I end up with unfinished projects all the time! I guess I have a really short attention span!

I had a Strat body and neck from them a few years back, and it only had the neck pickup in it cause I was going to finish the rest " tomorrow ". I played out with it a few times, no finishing hardware, wires hanging out. Great look. Finally my friends stole it and finished it and gave it back to me for my birthday!

Best of luck with your project
    Gone To California
  • Options
    i realized i screwed up with that neck. it's short scale which i don't want so i'll have to choose another.

i think i'm going to put stacked P-90s in it.
  • Options
    You're right, on the neck. That's like a Paul Reed Smith neck length. Not a bad thing, but if you want Strat , need longer. I've got an old EG-1 PRS bolt on strat like that I love, but doesn't ring like a Strat. It'll scream with p90's! I may even have a warmouth 25 1/2 inch neck around, but I gotta go to my storage locker to check. Aah, you're probably better off getting one new, screw holes will more likely line up.
    I'm off to Guitar center in a few minutes to get a couple of Mexican Fenders to take to take to Eastern Europe, then Africa, then I'll give them away to a guy that I'm going to study African guitar with in Mali. I love travelling with those things, cause I'd worry to death about my prizes in some airport in Gawd knows where I'm going.
    Gone To California
  • Options
    have a good tour. who do you play with?

my mind is cooking up all kinds of ideas for this thing.

as for the neck, i'm going to get a new one. i've got a left-handed strat neck around but it's banged up and i want a reversed headstock anyway. i do want the 25-1/2 scale though. it's what i'm used to.

if i custom order one, i'm getting the headstock finished to match the body. always loved those jazzmasters/jaguars finished like that.

as for pickups and wiring, there are about a million things i could do with 3 pickups and 3 pots. especially using concentric or push-pulls and humbuckers. i'll have to talk to a bunch of people to get ideas.

i realized the pots out of my strat won't be any good if i use humbuckers. not a big deal since pots cost so little.

i really hope they still have this body tomorrow when they open. damn labour day.
  • Options
    I'm touring with an African bikutsi music band this time. Very high energy, back beat, off beat music. Frenetic when it really gets going. Don't know HOW I got involved with this one. Great group of guys and girls. I'm the "old guy" on this one. I seem to be a blond guy with rhythm. This is as over the top and weird as I have ever done! I suck as a studio guitarist, and never played covers, but turn me loose with music that nobody knows, they seem to pay me! So I'm kind of a touring pick up guitarist. It's a great way to grow. I'm never " in the band " , they're always happy to see me, and you get paid! I'll stick out like a sore thumb on this one, the blond guy goes to Cameroon!
    I wish I could study in Mali before I go, but , oh well, I'm better off under pressure. He'll show me what I was doing wrong for 3 months!
    Gone To California
  • Options
    Re: wiring your pickups.
    When I was making guitars, I had a great travelling tech, he found these pots, instead of push pull, you tap them. Tap once it's in, tap again it's out. I don't know where he got them. And he's no longer with us, but I'm sure you can find them. He wired them so that all the wires met in a little circuit board. Then I could just switch the wires around to find the combinations that I liked, then hard wired it later. . It was great , because I played in one crazy band where I could play call and response with myself on lead by tapping back and forth with a delay, and a-b ing between amps. Everybody would wonder what the hell was going on ,,,,,,,including me!

I'm a simple man now. Guitar, cord, Deluxe '65 amp.
    All the best to you.
    I need to pack.
    Gone To California
  • Options
    thanks for the ideas. i'm mulling a few things. likely i'll have some sort of coil tapping incorporated.

those tap tap pots seem like a really good set-up.

and gotta love the 65's. mine's only a reissue but i still love the sound.
  • Options
    I found the pots for you. They're at allparts.com in the hardware pages. On the electronics page 10.

Part number EP 0296-000
    $16.00

500K Push/Push Linear Taper Potentiometer With Nut and Washer

There ya go! Hell man, I'll NEVER pack.

I used to have a real '65 deluxe reverb. Burnt it up in the exuberance of youth. I've got a couple of re issue '65 deluxes. I threw some NOS tubes in, and Weber speaker. All I travel with on 3rd world tours, which seem to be becoming my specialty for some reason. Well,maybe a ts 9 and my pink Ibanez delay . Ok maybe a chorus. Ok, maybe a headrush. So I thought I was gonna travel light! The pink delay stays with my passport and my credit cards though. Never wanna lose that!
    Gone To California
  • Options
    edit: no neck.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    hey Alco, perfect and good idea. to me it looks like a left handed schecter hellcat.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    it's going to be a pretty goofy guitar.

i've decided *not* to buy a neck right now b/c the one's i've looked at haven't really been deals. i may be able to source a neck locally for a better price. barring that, i'll just throw my old strat neck (currently on my telecaster) on it.

so i'm just buying the body and the bridge right now. once that's paid off, i'll get more pieces. i can't get the whole shebang right away.

i want to do something really interesting with the wiring too.

of course, this might all be moot if the body's already spoken for. hopefully i'll find out in a couple hours.

i played a japanese jazzmaster a couple years ago and although i didn't like the bridge or the pick-ups, the balance and feel was great.
  • Options
    Try WD as I recall they have some pretty cool necks for cheap but not to the quality of Warmouth. I think I saw 99 bucks for a few of them. birdseye maple would be cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    once i see the body in person and know what the wood grain and colour are like exactly, i'll have a better idea of what i want on it for a neck. i'd really like an ebony fretboard.

this thing's probably going to take a year to build-up. :(
  • Options
    Ebony fretboards are my favorite, probably the only reason I bought my Les Paul Studio.

I am thinking about purchasing a Carvin Bolt-T for that very reason but the 62 reissue strat is so damn tempting.
  • Options
    If you're somewhat handy , you can get a neck and finish the headstock yourself. Try Stewart Macdonalds,,,,,,, Stewmac.com .
    If you don't have one, get their catalog, it's a great receptacle for your money!

Now I Really Really Really Gotta go!

I hope you get your body
    Gone To California
  • Options
    still haven't heard from warmoth. and i've been in a meeting all day so i can't call. oh well.