Options

My Pearl Jam Story

ylwlab_45ylwlab_45 Posts: 6
When I heard Pearl Jam was coming to Milwaukee last month for Summerfest, something just told me I needed to be there for one of the shows. I was fan of the band when they first broke out on the music scene, having bought all of their music up through Vitology, but then I lost touch with them. Blame it on adulthood if you will -- kids, responsibilities, marriage, working, etc. But since the Milwaukee show, I feel like I've been re-introduced to the band after a long hiatus, and for the first time I realize that there no other music group on the planet as special as Pearl Jam. My wife and I are pretty middle-class, 30-something suburbanites (she stays at home with the kids, I work as a firefighter/paramedic), and we never go to rock shows. But the Milwaukee show was amazing, and even my wife (this was her first hard rock show) commented on how much she enjoyed the experience. I was surprised how much I remembered the words to the songs -- and at one point my wife looked over at me during the show, singing my lungs out -- and she had this look like she's never seen me enjoy something like this that much. I guess we are always learning something new about the one's we love!

I can't believe how powerful the lyrics are on latest album. It moved me the other day to point of tears while listening to "World Wide Suicide" as I was coming home from work. I had just gotten off work, and it was a sad day in some regards for me, having encountered some people who were having tough days themselves. I'm driving home -- a 30 minute commute -- listening to the words of "Suicide" and for some reason, I just started crying. I was thinking about this war our country is in, and deaths of a lot of young men and women, and it just filled me with this overwelming saddness. I must of wept for all of 30 minutes straight -- all the way home. That song is just so moving, and it caught me completely off guard. I walked in the door at home, and my wife looks at my bloodshot eyes and she was probably thinking to herself, WTF? I never did tell her what happened. But it actually felt good to have a healthy cry.

I don't know why I wanted to share that story, but it sure feels good to have this band back in my life. THANK YOU, PEARL JAM!
Matt Erdman
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hey, thanks for sharing, welcome.

I think there's some hope in there at the bottom - but - keep listening...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    Great story...welcome and thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    good for you mate! we all need a good cry sometimes.you're right about the new album having some very powerful lyrics, inside job is my favourite.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,749
    Now you just need to get everything since Vitalogy, and you'll be all set :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Great story. For all those who say they don't like PJ's politics; it's one of the many reasons I love them. They actually stand for something. Also, crying is very beneficial, both physically and mentally. :) Glad you've "rediscovered" them, and hopefully you'll get to see some more concerts! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    wolfbear wrote:
    Great story. For all those who say they don't like PJ's politics; it's one of the many reasons I love them. They actually stand for something. Also, crying is very beneficial, both physically and mentally. :) Glad you've "rediscovered" them, and hopefully you'll get to see some more concerts! :)
    \

indeed, i find if you stop yourself from crying evrytime you feel you want to when you finally do cry it will be because of something really stupid, e.g the other day i was doing some algebra study and got really frustrated coz i couldn't do it, then cried for about 5 mins coz then everything that i'd wanted to cry about recently came flooding back (if that makes sense)
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    anfaranfar Posts: 6
    From Turkiye...

I lost my father last week.
    He can't call me "kızım" (ıt's mean "daughter")
    Never...

Thanks for your mean...

"Yarattığınız anlam için teşekkürler Eddie Vedder."
    Kiss Olivia for me... I sure you are verry good dad.
  • Options
    I also went to the Pearl Jam/Tom Petty concert at Summerfest in Milwaukee. It blew my mind! I too had seen Pearl Jam in 1995 and pretty much thought that they had gone away. I also had all the CD's through Vitology. Wrapped up with family, children, etc. I hadn't really thought about PJ. After the concert, I realized that I was really missing something in my life...and that was Pearl Jam. I purchased the Avocado CD and I love every song...especially Parchute. I can't stop listening to PJ. A guy at work has the bootleg CD's from the Pittsburgh 2000 and Pen State 2003 and they are totally awesome. I got the bootleg from the Summerfest concert and I'm totally psyched. I haven't listen to anything else other than PJ since the concert. Nobody or nothing compares. Eddie's voice and the lyrics move me so much. Even to tears, as you experienced. I want to see another concert! Rock on!
    Eddie: "Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music."

Eddie: "There is a girl in the front and her shirt says 'F*CK ME EDDY'... well you'd have to spell my name right first."

Summerfest '95, Summerfest '06, BSB (1 & 2) '06, Wembley '07, Lollapalooza '07
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Great posts for both newbies! Welcome back!
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    redvedderredvedder Posts: 56
    how cool that the Avacado cd is bringing back people who kind of let PJ fade from their lives. I, like so many of you on this board, get so much from this band; their songs, their lyrics, their shows and all of you guys - the other fans. All of those things really add something to my life. And...I have a hard time thinking of anything that makes me happier than being at a show "screaming my lungs out" to the music!! So, welcome back to the fans that checked out for a while. I'm glad Avacado brought you back. I would just like to let you know that the cds between Vitology and Avacado are definitely worth purchasing...so many unbelievable songs. I hope the newly returned continue to post and listen to PJ...and keep going to shows, they just get better and better!!! :)
    "Oh dear dad, can you see me now? I am myself, like you somehow."

CAMDEN 8.29.98{}CAMDEN 9.2.00{}SPECTRUM 4.28.03{}CAMDEN 7.5.03{}CAMDEN 7.6.03{}WACHOVIA 10.3.05{}CAMDEN 5.27.06{}CAMDEN 5.28.06{}CAMDEN 6.19.08{}CAMDEN 6.20.08{} MANSFIELD 6.28.08{}EV @ Tower Theater 6.12.09{}SPECTRUM 10.28.09{}SPECTRUM 10.30.09{}SPECTRUM (RIP) 10.31.09{}MSG 5.21.10{}EV @ Tower Theater 6.25.11{}Alpine Valley 9.3.11{}Alpine Valley 9.4.11
  • Options
    ylwlab_45ylwlab_45 Posts: 6
    I just can't believe all the great music I missed out on when, without explaination, I just stopped following Pearl Jam after Vitology was released. Love Boat Captain, Insignificance, and especially Footsteps are absolutely F-ing awesome, beautiful songs! Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious -- newbie posting here.

By the way, how long did Ed have the short hair about the time Riot Act was out? It was a good look for him, IMHO.
    Matt Erdman
  • Options
    danphxarizdanphxariz Posts: 29
    Footsteps is actually a really old Pearl Jam song, pre Vitalogy. Its part of the mamasan trilogy, along with Alive and Once. I think it was released as a b-side to the Jeremy single in 1992. It's definitely an awesome song, one of my many favorites also.

Dan
    "Butter hands" flew from her side? I wish I had butter hands. Mmmm, butter.