Options

Why Sad means so much to me

ecopeecope Posts: 89
These are the most personal Pearl Jam lyrics to me. I am deeply affected every time I hear them, hell, I don't even have to be listening the cd to hear these lyrics echo in my head. I want to post the lyrics and then tell my story, maybe no one will care, but I want to put it out there....to let it go somehow.

SAD

All the photographs are peeling
Colors turn to gray, he's stayin'
In his room with memories for days,
He faced...an undertow of futures laid to waist,
Embraced...by the loss of one he could not replace

And there's no reason that she'd pass
And their is no God with the plan, it's sad
And his holiness is proof, it's sad
He could only love you, it's sad

The door swings, through a passing fable
A fate we may delay, we say
Holding on to live within our embrace
Even the nights he laid in bed
Hoping that dreams would bring her back, it's sad
He could only love you, it's sad

Holding his last breath...believing
He'll make his way, but she's not forgotten
He's haunted, he's searching for escape

If just one wish could bring her back, it's sent
He will always love you, it's sad

Okay, you have all heard those lyrice before, read them, been touched be them probably....now my story of why this means so much. Please bear with me...First a little backgroud.

My mom died in April of 1999, five years ago this April. I don't want to talk about how hard that was on me, but let me just say that it has defined my entire life since then.

I am the oldest of three children and we are all big PJ fans, have gone to concerts together, watched all the dvd's together, listened to all the albums together and cried together.

When mom died, I kind of took on the role of taking care of my younger brother and sister, now 25 and 23 years old. We were all three very close to mom, she was our best friend. I worried a lot about them, so I tried my best to be their best friends, and we have grown very close to each other.

Our dad was always so strong, but a stand-offish kind of man, never showed a whole lot of affection to us. I thought that he would be okay. After mom died, he just fell apart. He is now 58, and hasn't been able to keep a job since she died. He doesn't sleep, he doesn't take very good care of himself... we all try to help him, but he doesn't want it. He won't even talk to us about what he's going through. I don't have to explain much, just read the lyrics. I really don't know how to help him get over her, when I'm not really over myself.

It's been a very rough time for all of us. I never thought that a song, written by someone that I don't know, could map out my life so much, but Pearl Jam did it with Sad. Thanks for reading.

Emily
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    I'm deeply sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • Options
    It's funny how lyrics in a song can reflect your life with such accuracy. It's almost as if the song was written for your own personal circumstances. I think you're brave in taking responsibility for your family, that can't be easy. I wish you luck and we're all grateful to bands like PJ who have songs which we can relate to emotionally and help us accept/deal with pain.

"It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey"
  • Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    Emily, I am so sorry for all that you and your family have been going through in the past 5 years.
    I only hope somehow your dad will find his way, and be able to live again soon, and in doing so, it helps you and your brother and sister recover as well.

take care please and thanks for sharing this
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    ecopeecope Posts: 89
    Thanks guys for all your kind words. I am a little embarrassed that I posted something so personal on here, but I just had to get it out of my system...

Again thank you for your kind words.
  • Options
    one small correction on the lyrics

"Eleven nights he laid in bed"

other than that...perfect
    Hell; a paticular realm of the after life where they never play Pearl Jam