Options

given to fly(eddie cried?)

pao_dpao_d Posts: 16
what do you guys think of this song?

a jammer told me that eddie vedder cried singing this song during a concert? is this true? are there any other songs where eddie cried?
"living is the best revenge"
- eddie vedder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    looks like it during the MTV unplugged version of Black
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    I read on 5 Horizons that Eddie got emotional during 'Black' on 8/30/00 in Boston...
    "I have wished for so long, how I wish for you today"--Long Road
  • Options
    SoLATisASoLATisA Posts: 215
    who cares if he cried? maybe he ate sushi with that hot green stuff on it before the song. and his eyes were tearing.
  • Options
    grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374
    Originally posted by Cjam6903
    I read on 5 Horizons that Eddie got emotional during 'Black' on 8/30/00 in Boston...

I was at that show...I wasn't close enough to see Eddies' face or anything, but he did sort of trail off at the end, and the band did cut the end of the song a bit short. And I read on 5h the next day, same as you did, that Eddie got choked up.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Hated GTF when I heard it for the first time (pretty rare for a PJ song) but now I absolutely love it. And about the crying thing, I go for the
    Originally posted by SoLATisA
    hot green stuff
    theory. That stuff is made out of green paint and gasoline. It is absolutely the most disgusting, synthetic substance I have eaten in my entire life.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    SoLATisASoLATisA Posts: 215
    i like it!
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    You really mean the green half-liquid stuff that tastes like the inside of a car smells x1000, and comes in those tiny paper thingies?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    wasabi!! thats what you guys are talking about!
    - eddie vedder
  • Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    Originally posted by pao_d

a jammer told me that eddie vedder cried singing this song during a concert? is this true? are there any other songs where eddie cried?

i'm pretty sure you're thinking of 9/16/98 boston
  • Options
    Originally posted by katellis
    i'm pretty sure you're thinking of 9/16/98 boston

yep, Ed had met someone before the show who had just lost their brother who would've been at the show. You can hear him crying on the bootleg while he sings given to fly. Also during Last Kiss (which I believe was the first time it was played).. he changed "her" to "him" and "baby" to "brother" in the last chorus.
    Common sense is not so common.
  • Options
    Monyc'Monyc' Posts: 35
    for me: best song ever!!!!! it's a big song! musically and lyrically!!
    17/07/2003 Mexico City
    18/07/2003 Mexico City
    19/07/2003 Mexico City
    11/09/2005 Kitchener Ca
    12/09/2005 London Ca
    13/09/2005 Hamilton Ca
    15/09/2005 Montreal Ca
    07/12/2005 Monterrey Mx
    09/12/2005 Mexico City
    10/12/2005 Mexico City
  • Options
    yup monyc thats right, given to gly rocks!
    - eddie vedder
  • Options
    i love it when a man is it scared to show hes emotion..and for a song thats even better
  • Options
    TUBBYTUBBY Posts: 4
    don't know about the story you speak of but really in alot of PJ's, songs when you hear them in the frame of mind they are about, the emotions just flow, i'm not talking about fully crying, but they are much more visable... so then what then happens when you have to sing about this stuff, especially if you can serriously relate to the song?
    'ave a good one...TUBBY
  • Options
    Surely ed crying shows how much feeling and emotion he has for his music . if anything this gives me more(if possible) respect for him and the music.

And the feelings get left behind.
    Fuck me if i say somthing you dont want to hear,
    Fuck me if you only hear whats in your head.
    Fuck me if you can, coz im not leaving here.
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    I love it when he sang once (it's on one of those bootlegs, I don't remember which one):

well fuckers, WE still stand

gives me such a chill

and for the rest: yes, definitely my favourite song
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    Unfortunately I have never been to a Pearl Jam show before, but every once in a while I come across these fanviews saying how emotional a concert can become, especially for Ed. I read a review of Charlotte 08/04/00, which says that Ed got so emotional during Black that he couldn't sing the closing bits and resorted to the crowd instead.

The reason why I wrote this post is that I have just listened to the Indianapolis 08/18/00 show and at the end of Black, when Ed says "Thanks a lot once again, Mike on guitar", you can actually hear his voice trembling with emotion. He has difficulty finishing the sentence.
  • Options
    i think he was very emotional (almost crying) on the msg dvd.
    did anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    Hated GTF when I heard it for the first time (pretty rare for a PJ song) but now I absolutely love it. And about the crying thing, I go for the

theory. That stuff is made out of green paint and gasoline. It is absolutely the most disgusting, synthetic substance I have eaten in my entire life.

It's not synthetic. It's wasabi paste- a type of mustard. Sushi ain't sushi without it!
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    Originally posted by pao_d

Eddie cried one time when he sang Smile to me. Poor boo boo really misses me sometimes.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    Originally posted by Martoman
    i think he was very emotional (almost crying) on the msg dvd.
    did anyone else notice this?

Def noticed this. He puts his arms over his face and has trouble singing the words... I was almost in tears at this point. No other song moves me like Black does. It's so true to me and each line is more emotional than the previous one.

*All five horizons revolve around her soul*

*How quick the sun can drop away*

The words stand alone as awesome lyrics but with the music they are incredible. The emotion, passion and love in Ed's voice is awesome. The words are sung from his heart, he means every one of them.

Thankyou so much for this song and for the meaning that comes with it.

Each person can interpret it in their own way but it still defines a man losing a woman... the possible love of his life. She was everything to him and his life is nothing without her.
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"