Grievance

Have a drink they're buying.
Bottom of bottle of denial.

Big guy. Big eye watching me.
Have to wonder what it sees. ???.
Progress laced with ramifications.
Freedom's big plunge. Oh.

Pull the innocent from a crowd.
Raise those sticks them bring them down.
If they fail to obey.
Ah, if they fail to obey. Yeah yeah.

For every tool they lend us a loss of independence.

I pledge my grievance to the flag.
Cause you don't give blood then take it back again.
Oh we're all deserving something more.

Progress taste it invest it all.
Champagne breakfast for everyone.

Break the innocent when they're proud.
Raise those stakes then bring them down.
If they fail to obey.
Yeah, ha, if they fail to obey.

Pledge my grievance to the flag.
Cause, don't give blood then take it back again.
Oh, we're all deserving something more.

I want to breathe part of the scene.
I want to taste everyone I see.
I want to run when I'm up high.
I want to run to the sea.
I want to life to be.
I just want to be.
We all want to be.
Oh, I will feel alive as long as I am free.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I fucking love this song and ALL the meaning behind it.

Discuss...
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Underrated song. My favorite off Binaural.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • I think this song had it the best off the binaural tour, when they sandwiched it between animal and red mosquito a couple of times, talk about musical thunder, that triplet always blows me away
  • heaveheave Posts: 159
    underrated song.... it kicked ass when they performed it on Letterman! I was like, "nice, they're not playing Nothing as it Seems!"
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    I was listening to it this morning.
    Funny feeling, I heard a very deep love in it for Ed's country.
    He is not the guy you would typically catch saying that it's the flag, the country, that gives blood.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    Grievance
    I pledge my grievance to the flag.

The true actions of any patriot.

Love the live version on the Garden DVD.

TOTALLY kicks ass.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    its been THE song in my head for weeks now (hence the sig)... somehow it never grabbed me the way it does now. the lyrics are awesome the pace is good, i love it!
    your light's reflected now
  • I just posted about this song in another thread. Brilliant...one of the best of the decade, in my opinion. I think it was nominated for a Grammy (Best Hard Rock performance) in 2000-2001. Anyone remember what tune beat it?
  • Anyone remember what tune beat it?

Something nowhere near is good no doubt.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Grievance has to be one of my all time favs! The lyrics are truly genius!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • not4unot4u Posts: 513
    one kick-ass hell-uhva song
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Also one of my favorites....I am retired Navy and I love the last line. Makes the sacrifice worth it.
    I feel alive.....as long as I am free.....

Charleston, SC 10/5/96
    Virginia Beach 8/3/2000
    Cleveland 4/25/03
    Toledo 10/2/04
    Cleveland 5/20/06
  • I think it comes across a lot better live. It's a great song but the studio version doesn't sound as powerful to me.
    "And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
  • yeah, i think the recorded version is quite weak compared to the live performances, i dont think it was that great live on the Binaural tour, because i don't think the fans had really got into the shouting along thing..but on the 2003 tour, this song sounds awesome, especially on the MSG DVD when you see the famous 'hot-chick' shouting along and fist pumping lol. I like the lyrics too, and i think the song is very well written, but it is not the best off Binaural, because that album features Light Years and Sleight of Hand, two of the bands greatest songs.:)
    Situations get fucked up and turned around sooner or later...
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    This is one of my fav songs off Binaural....

This is a good live song.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Bump this thread for this amazing song that definetely sounds best live!!! :D
  • This song... NFL... thoughts??
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Does anyone else feel this song strikes a lot of nerves given the social injustice?  I pledge my grievance to the flag! #blacklivesmatter
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    I recently watched a live performance (2004?) of Grievance where Eddie was wearing a "champagne breakfast for everyone" t-shirt. Literally a few days ago and now can't find it on YouTube. Can anyone help?