Options

Hard to Imagine.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
So beautiful, so powerful and emotional. If I wrote songs this good I would play them over and over and over untill the audience couldnt stand it anymore. Pearl Jam dosen't even put it on a studio album. Incredible. I imagine a darkened stage at the beginning of "....things were different then." the lights build as the song builds. Talk about pouring out your heart. 18,000 people around you at the top of your lungs feeling the same emotions at the same time. So many experiences that people have it's difficult to put yourself in thier shoes. Its hard to imagine.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    That chunky guitar riff that comes in right as Ed sings "things were different then...." gets me every time. Its as if they are saying "fuck whatever it is we said in the rest of the song, this is whats important, the fact that everything has changed".
    "The children have to save themselves these days because the parents don't have a clue"-Donnie Darko

"We were done, done, done with all the fuck, fuck, fuckin around"-Modest Mouse
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Sea As His Floor
    That chunky guitar riff that comes in right as Ed sings "things were different then...." gets me every time. Its as if they are saying "fuck whatever it is we said in the rest of the song, this is whats important, the fact that everything has changed".

exactly. and it's like a lightbulb comes on or a bomb goes off.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    exactly. and it's like a lightbulb comes on or a bomb goes off.

A bomb, thats exactly how it feels, like a quiet bomb goes off inside Eddie's head. You can almost hear the gears turning when Ed sings that line.
    "The children have to save themselves these days because the parents don't have a clue"-Donnie Darko

"We were done, done, done with all the fuck, fuck, fuckin around"-Modest Mouse
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sea As His Floor
    A bomb, thats exactly how it feels, like a quiet bomb goes off inside Eddie's head. You can almost hear the gears turning when Ed sings that line.
    That is so true. I love that part.
    This is such a great song. I really wish they would play it live.
  • Options
    Monyc'Monyc' Posts: 35
    HTI, must be played so lllooouuuddd!!! beleieve me, it sounds too much better!
    17/07/2003 Mexico City
    18/07/2003 Mexico City
    19/07/2003 Mexico City
    11/09/2005 Kitchener Ca
    12/09/2005 London Ca
    13/09/2005 Hamilton Ca
    15/09/2005 Montreal Ca
    07/12/2005 Monterrey Mx
    09/12/2005 Mexico City
    10/12/2005 Mexico City
  • Options
    PhillyPJPhillyPJ Posts: 1,266
    hard to imagine? great song. love it.

I was lucky to see this live @ Camden, NJ 1998 show. awesome!!
  • Options
    such an amazing song, especialy when the 'things were different then' bit kicks in....mmmmm

:)
  • Options
    This song is so beautiful. I really does stir up emotion within me, especially when he sings "things were different then". It makes me feel so sad, cos it reminds me of pain in my own life and how you can overcome it...i.e. "all is different now". and if you don't know what i mean all i can say is "i tried to explain somehow".
  • Options
    paint a picture, using only gray
    light your pillow, lay back, watch the flames
    i'll tell a story, no one would listen that long
    it's hard to imagine, it's hard to imagine...
    tear into yourself, count tales on your arm
    ah the beating, tickin' like a bomb
    after having seen all that they saw
    it's hard to imagine, it's hard to imagine...
    things were different then, all is different now
    i tried to explain, somehow...
    i tried to explain, somehow...
    i tried to explain, i hope this works somehow...
    i tried to explain, oh, somehow...
    ooh...oh...oh...

there is so much *AHGH!* in ed's voice in this one... like his throat leads directly to his heart... just makes me wanna sing, too, but when i try, i get tears all stuck in my voice...

it's fucking beautiful

ed's voice in certain songs just slays me...
    Nosotros nunca escuchamos la voz adentro
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    So beautiful, so powerful and emotional. If I wrote songs this good I would play them over and over and over untill the audience couldnt stand it anymore. Pearl Jam dosen't even put it on a studio album. Incredible. I imagine a darkened stage at the beginning of "....things were different then." the lights build as the song builds. Talk about pouring out your heart. 18,000 people around you at the top of your lungs feeling the same emotions at the same time. So many experiences that people have it's difficult to put yourself in thier shoes. Its hard to imagine.

Boots used to be on tape and I've seen them sold at record fairs from Newcastle Mayfair to Cambridge Guildhall to Temple Bar Dublin, back in the immediately pre-Vs. era of July-October 1993. I had a tape of the Vs. sessions when the album was still untitled, and GOD! I loved Hard to Imagine. It was the standout track for me. I was astonished it didn't make the ultimate Vs, but there you are.

There are very few pieces of art that stop me, by themselves, from my attempt to exercise critical faculties in trying to analyse how I feel about them, because of their beauty.

Hard to Imagine is beautiful, Ed. If you see our thread of appreciation, thankyou.