Satan's Bed

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
Satan's Bed

it's not all been said...been said and done...
i've never slept in satan's bed
although i must admit...still visits my place
uninvited, as you know, he don't wait
funny how he always seems to fit in
funny how i always want to give in
sundays, fridays, tuesdays, thursday, the same
sometimes the special guest, he don't like to leave
already...in love...
already...in love...
already...in love...
already...
who made, who made up, made up the myth
that we were born to be covered in bliss?
who set the standard, born to be rich?
such fine examples, skinny little bitch
model, role model, roll some models in blood
get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club
i'd stop and talk, but i'm already in love
already...in love...
already...in love...
already...in love...
already...
in love...ah ha ha ha...
ah torture...follows reward...
follows torture...follows reward...
oh, oh my butt...
never shook satan's hand, look see for yourself
you'd know it if i had, that shit don't come off
i'll rise and fall, let me take credit for both
jump off a cliff, don't need your help so back off
i'll never suck satan's dick...
again, you'd see it, you know, right round the lips
i'll wait for an angel, but i won't hold my breath
'magine they're busy, think i'm doing okay...
already...in love...
already...in love...
already...in love...
already...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'll wait for an angel, but i won't hold my breath
    'magine they're busy, think i'm doing okay...

My favourite part ;)
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I just feel like discussing this song....I think it is one of the best off of Vitalogy. Lyrically I am just re-discovering it. It absolutely blows me away and really gives you an insight (as do most of the songs from this record) about where Ed and the band were in the scheme of things...and how it all made them (or him) feel....

Here are a couple of my favorite lines from the song:

"uninvited, as you know, he don't wait
    funny how he always seems to fit in
    funny how i always want to give in
    sundays, fridays, tuesdays, thursday, the same"

"i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club"

"i'll rise and fall, let me take credit for both
    jump off a cliff, don't need your help so back off"

"i'll wait for an angel, but i won't hold my breath
    'magine they're busy, think i'm doing okay..."
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I ran to that album today. I looked forward to that song because it meant my run was almost over . . . besides I really like that song, too.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Yeah awesome song. I was a little dissapointed when my Penn State official bootleg came in and Ed seemed like he didn't want to play the song at all. But if it's not his thing to play it anymore I totally understand. They've got plenty of other great songs. I just think that riff is one of the best Pearl Jam have ever had and those lyrics still get to me everytime.
  • eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    Yeah awesome song. I was a little dissapointed when my Penn State official bootleg came in and Ed seemed like he didn't want to play the song at all. But if it's not his thing to play it anymore I totally understand. They've got plenty of other great songs. I just think that riff is one of the best Pearl Jam have ever had and those lyrics still get to me everytime.

I have wondered if he was ASKED not to play it. Ya know.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • I have wondered if he was ASKED not to play it. Ya know.

Didn't think about that. But it doesn't seem that way. He forgets almost all of the words and halfway through he just asks for Mike to start soloing. And he says the "Model Role Model" lines in a mocking way like he doesn't like them.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Self Pollution has a fucking great version of this song....

"i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club" ....I love that line
  • never shook satan's hand, look see for yourself
    you'd know it if i had, that shit don't come off

fucking love this line.
    And after all this, won't you give me a smile?
  • Id kill a man to hear it live. A good version though.
    9/28/2004 9/29/2004 10/1/2004 9/13/2005 9/15/2005 9/16/2005 9/19/2005 9/20/2005 5/12/2006 5/13/2006 5/24/2006 5/25/2006 5/27/2006 5/28/2006 6/1/2006 6/3/2006 6/16/2008 6/19/2008 6/20/2008 6/24/2008 6/25/2008 6/27/2008 6/30/2008 8/7/2008
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    "I'll never suck Satan's Dick!!"

I just totally think that this is the most in-your-face-fuck-you line Eddie has ever written. When I first heard it I was like "OMG THIS SONG IS SO FUCKING AWESOME!!!" Very detailed song, really paints a picture in my mind.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee

Go to gdlive.com and look in the other music mp3 file. You'll find a 94' show with a great version of it.
  • Yeah awesome song. I was a little dissapointed when my Penn State official bootleg came in and Ed seemed like he didn't want to play the song at all. But if it's not his thing to play it anymore I totally understand. They've got plenty of other great songs. I just think that riff is one of the best Pearl Jam have ever had and those lyrics still get to me everytime.

It would seem a little hypocritical(sp?) to sing it now... ya know.
    Some people have drugs... I have Pearl Jam.

www.facebook.com/pearlgirlstudio
    Twitter: @pearlgirlstudio
  • I didn't like this song too much at first but it grew me. I've always liked the lyrics though. It would be cool to hear it live with ed singing the "torture follows reward" part instead of mumbling it.
    everything has chains
    absolutely nothing's changed
    take my hand, not my picture
    spilled my tincture...
  • RadioYamRadioYam Posts: 102
    :rolleyes:
  • pearlmuttpearlmutt Posts: 392
    who set the standard, born to be rich?

thanks bill gates and rob glaser for flattening the world. the "b" rate students are really grateful, fuckers!
  • i love listening to the crack of the whip on headphones but always wondered why they didn't come before whipping.

anyhoo, the initial start-up of the song is so pixies, i love it.

i love the lyrics too, except, i must admit the ones about satan are rather corny :eek:
    '00: 8/23,24,25; 9/1,2; MSG Ed 10/30.
    '03: 4/30; 6/28; 7/2,3,5,6,8,9,14;
    '04: 5/14: Ed, CCFA, Shwbx.
    '05: 3/18; 5/25 Ed w/ rck schl kds; 9/1,2;
    '06: 7/16,18,22,23.
    '08: 4/7
  • not4unot4u Posts: 513
    I LOVE this song...
    "i'll raise and fall take credit for both, jump off a cliff don't need your help so back off!"
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • It would seem a little hypocritical(sp?) to sing it now... ya know.

So true and unfortunate...love, love this song. There are not many people out there who stick to their beliefs. Sometimes I think maybe e.v. is just a great actor who even fooled himself. But I am sure we all have been guilty of that.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Such a great work of art, as I have said before.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee

Atlanta 94, man
  • Didn't think about that. But it doesn't seem that way. He forgets almost all of the words and halfway through he just asks for Mike to start soloing. And he says the "Model Role Model" lines in a mocking way like he doesn't like them.

musicians betray you, songs don't.
    painters betray you, paintings don't.
    lovers betray, love doesn't.
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374
    Yeah awesome song. I was a little dissapointed when my Penn State official bootleg came in and Ed seemed like he didn't want to play the song at all. But if it's not his thing to play it anymore I totally understand. They've got plenty of other great songs. I just think that riff is one of the best Pearl Jam have ever had and those lyrics still get to me everytime.

They hadn't practiced or played it in forever! They had simply forgotten how to play it and Ed had forgotten most of the lyrics. I thought that was pretty evident. They play it right after Ed asks for requests. Not sure how it got requested, but I've always been under the impression that the guys were in a great mood, loving the crowd and whatnot, so decided to try. And they failed.
  • KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    yeah! :D cmon pj break it out again!
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
    musicians betray you, songs don't.
    painters betray you, paintings don't.
    lovers betray, love doesn't.
    And then the question is, what is most important, the music or the musician, the painter or the painting, the lover or love? I'd say the music, the painting, and the lover. I like this song, it's a nice rock song, nice to run to.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • yes! an awesome song!

probably my most favourite song to sing along to.
  • satans_bedsatans_bed Posts: 430
    that's the reason why i love my user namer.....hehehe

already...in love...
    already...in love...
    already...in love...
    already... :)
    "i forgot the words...."
  • UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    This is one of my Favs too...Just Bad*ss, full on attitude and yet what he's actually saying is very upstanding and remarkable...Overall I think it is just a reflection of who we now know he really is. Eddies in for the music, not the supermodels...and I dig it.
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122

Call me a retard, but why would it be hypocritical for them to play it now?

Am I missing something in the interpretation of this song or what??

Someone please tell me what this is about. Its really been bothering me for the last couple of days :)
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    Deeve wrote:
    Call me a retard, but why would it be hypocritical for them to play it now?

Am I missing something in the interpretation of this song or what??

Someone please tell me what this is about. Its really been bothering me for the last couple of days :)

OK. You're a retard.

hehe
    Sorry....I couldn't resist.

But I don't think anyone can explain this without having it deleted or getting banned.
    It has to do with a certain lead singer's personal life......

P.S. I don't agree with the hypocrisy theory anyway.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
    So, anyway, let's back away from what little we know about the reality into the metaphorical of the song only - There's a song about Satan wearing blue jeans, from the disco era of the 70's and the singer was on Solid Gold (remember Solid Gold after Dance Fever and before Love Boat?) Anyway, say a woman called #A is at a party with a man #B, and along comes the Devil in Blue Jeans #Cx. We can assume that #Cx would try to look like Apollo as opposed to Big Boy. With this in mind, is it a reflection of a bad relationship for #A to think that #Cx is attractive and look away at something else, or can it be just a statement with no committment? I think that may be a little of what the song is about. I could be wrong, I never met Apollo.