Smile so underated!!!!!

smilehabitsmilehabit Posts: 88
edited September 2004 in Words and Music...Communication
Where is the love for this song?
Somtimes i know, sometimes i rise,sometimes i fall,sometimes i dont,sometimes i cringe,somtimes i live sometimes i walk,sometimes i kneel,somtimes i speek of nothing at all,sometimes i reach to myself dear god

official redmosquito#3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• don't it make you smile?
    don't it make you smile?
    when the news dont come.(come at all)
    don't it make you smile?
    don't it make you smile?
    don't it make me smile?
    when the news dont come , it don't t come at all
    don't it make me smile?
    i miss you already... i miss you always
    i miss you already... i miss you all day
    this is how i feel...
    i miss you already... i miss you always
    three crooked hearts and swirls all around... i miss you all day

man I love this song, favourite pearl jam track.
    Somtimes i know, sometimes i rise,sometimes i fall,sometimes i dont,sometimes i cringe,somtimes i live sometimes i walk,sometimes i kneel,somtimes i speek of nothing at all,sometimes i reach to myself dear god

official redmosquito#3
  • I love this song. In fact, I have the ringer on my phone set to it right now.
    "It only hurts when I breathe"~ Greenwheel
    "Love is a tower of strength to me"
    "I wait up in the dark, for you to speak to me"
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    "I did what I had to do, if there was a reason, it was you"
    "I hold the hand that holds me down... I will RISE ABOVE!"
    "Shit, solo or something"~ Eddie Vedder
    "The best way to change something that's around you, something you don't like, is to change yourself. And I don't think you want other people changing you, I think the only person that can change you is yourself. So if you ain't happy, if you're reading magazines about generation x-ers and thinking 'yeah, I'm one of them', well fuck that. Don't let anyone tell you who you are. No, no. No one can tell me who I am."~ Eddie Vedder (9/26/96)
  • finally another fan of the song. I love it so much. Everything about this track is perfect, the neil young influenced guitar crunch, vedders perfect vocals, the gritty harmonica. I just love it

surely more people like this track?

official redmosquito#3
  • best when its played in the encore set
    9/28/2004 9/29/2004 10/1/2004 9/13/2005 9/15/2005 9/16/2005 9/19/2005 9/20/2005 5/12/2006 5/13/2006 5/24/2006 5/25/2006 5/27/2006 5/28/2006 6/1/2006 6/3/2006 6/16/2008 6/19/2008 6/20/2008 6/24/2008 6/25/2008 6/27/2008 6/30/2008 8/7/2008
  • i seems to be played in the encore mostly. 7 of my 2000 bootlegs have Smile on and all in the encore. Even finish a show with ith in North Carolina i think

official redmosquito#3
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Originally posted by smilehabit
    Where is the love for this song?

i agree i love SMILE! i dont know why its not more popular :-/
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    YES!! What a great song I love the harmonica in it.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • on touring band 2000, the video shots when they play the song will actually make you smile when you're in a bad mood
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
  • it made me wanna find my lost harmonica. it won me a square dance once...
  • Originally posted by Anthropoid76
    it made me wanna find my lost harmonica. it won me a square dance once...

square dancing sucked
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this song to bits. And doesn't it make you do just that? :D Such an infectious little number. The harmonica, the bass line, Ed's voice...all of it's incredible and feels so damn good. I love it when Ed gets really, really into it with some intense, "uh, huh" noises between the lyrics. His laugh on the Osaka 03 boot is priceless and adds so much to the already bursting positivity that shines through in this song.

::::

I miss you already... I miss you always

::::

I love those lines and use them quite often. :)

TB2K, Smile montage? One of the greatest things I have ever seen. :D

I hope to one day have the pleasure of seeing/feeling this happy rockin song live. Such a mood changer.

~~~Much love for :DSMILE:D~~~
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • amen!

official redmosquito#3
  • igotpjigotpj Posts: 187
    Oh, I show the love!!!
    Charlotte(10-4-96)
    Raleigh(8-31-98)
    Greensboro(8-6-00)
    Raleigh(4-15-03), Las Vegas(6-6-03)
    Boston(9-28-04),Toledo(10-2-04),Asheville(10-6-04)
    Pittsburgh(6-24-06)
    Columbia (6-16-08)
    Austin (10-4-09), Philadelphia (10-28-09, 10-30-09, 10-31-09)
  • heaveheave Posts: 159
    I LOVE IT!!!!
  • I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Smile.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • i don't think this song is underrated. it's actually a pretty special song that the band likes to play on a special night. i like how eddie's friend gets something like 1 1/2 cents for every copy of no code sold because he/she wrote the chorus for smile on eddie's notebook back in high school. and the line "3 crroked hearts swirls all around, ya" is a beaut.
    ...caught a bolt of lightning, cursed the day he let it go...
  • Love the song!! Im not too big of a fan of the harmonica, but theres something about the way Eddie plays it that makes it beautiful. :D
    06/06/03, 07/06/06

And I learned that I was a liar
    Just like you
  • It is one of my favorite songs by far. Such a great sarcastic anthem about missing someone.
    ".....this land is mine, this land is free
    i'll do what i want, but irresponsibly
    it's evolution baby...."
  • I thougt the correct lyrics were:

"When the sun dont shine" (It dont shine at all)

Or not?
    Thank you Synergy!
    07/08/03 * 07/09/03 * 07/11/03

All you need is Pear Jam in Brazil!
    Oh, and Love to!

Peace, Love, Share.

You did it.
  • Hm...I like Smile, but I don't LOVE it. I've always thought it was a nice song, but it never grabbed me in or anything.
  • Originally posted by VEDHEAD27
    TB2K, Smile montage? One of the greatest things I have ever seen. :D

I hope to one day have the pleasure of seeing/feeling this happy rockin song live. Such a mood changer.

~~~Much love for :DSMILE:D~~~

Yes, I agree!!! The Touring Band Montage made me love it even more! I want to see them play it live too!!!
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    whenever I go to a bar, and (excuse my horrible spelling) there is kareoke(sp), I always play smile on my harmonica, no singing, just my harp... and I always seem to get an applause... I met some dudes the last time I played it, and they were seriously impressed... I was buying a shot for a hot girl, and they came up, and demanded they had to buy all my drinks, and shit...

why am I rambling... great song!

peace!

!!!
  • bump, i just realised my 3 favourite songs ever all include the word SMILE

pearl jam - Smile
    OneLineDrawing - Smile
    REM - Why Not Smile

FAntastic

official redmosquito#3
  • I love this song for its sheer simplicity. Simple chords, Great lyrics. Makes for a wonderful song.
    "This is a public service annowncement... with guitars!!"