Options

nothingman

blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
I used to think that the lyrics for "nothingman" were about a love gone bad. However, upon listening to the Holmdel bootleg yesterday, I am now under the impression that it's about a man and a woman who WERE in bad relationships, and have now found each other. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any replys...
Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,652
    Originally posted by blueeyedevil
    I used to think that the lyrics for "nothingman" were about a love gone bad. However, upon listening to the Holmdel bootleg yesterday, I am now under the impression that it's about a man and a woman who WERE in bad relationships, and have now found each other. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any replys...

i could tell u what i've read about it, but i always agree with what ed said back in the early 90's, about interpreting the songs your own way instead of being told it's meaning. god i love that guy.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    i agree, each song is your own,
    thats the way they intend it its like an
    album is a large basket full of gifts
    "thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
    thiers still time so escape,,,,
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    Its like Yellowledbetter. Untill this tour I had no idea what he was saying but I thought it was a great song. Now I have an idea what its about but I never really wanted someone to tell me what he was saying. My friends and I used to just kinda hum along to it.
    Lick my monkey!
  • Options
    I always thought it to be about love gone bad myself, you know, she dont want him kinda thing?
    Genie let out of a bottle it is now the witching hour murderers you're murderers we are not the same as you funny haha funny how when the walls bend with your breathing they will suck you down to the otherside to the shadows blue and red your alarm bells should be ringing this is the gloaming

softly open our mouths in the cold
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    anyone wantto know exactly who the song was inspired from? pm me if you want.....:)

i personally take it as a love gone bad song....

why? cause i am a nothingman...oh well, live and learn
  • Options
    i always though it was about a divorce
  • Options
    ardyardy Posts: 53
    my interpretation is that it's about how you deal with the frustration and disappointment of having someone in your life with infinite potential who ends up crashing and burning.
    "Can I ask you a question?" (.....you just did.....)
  • Options
    Clearly Ed does not want to be a nothingman (not that he ever COULD be, ...). I think it's about a relationship that's fading out. I've been there- "She once believed in every story he had to tell." Yup, I know what you mean, honey.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    I just love the song....my all time fav PJ song!!
    Caught a bolt of lightning, cursed the day he let it go.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/princes4edvedder?listID=0