Options

Song of the day (Alone)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
One of the songs that did not make it onto Ten, this tune almost made it into a live show this year, as they soundchecked it one time, we all can only hope they get brave and play this soon.

Alone

RrVwMirror
2/16/01 12:27 PM
SOTD: ALONE

CandleOfThought
9/16/99 2:19 PM
This is the song of the day... ALONE

OK, since El Conquistador asked to post for him, and keeping the same criteria we had for Ten, we are doing the singles and other releases before Vitalogy. So here goes "Alone", which was the B-side for "Go". Let us read your comments on it...

ALONE
(Vedder/Ament/Gossard/McCready/Abbruzzese)
from Go single

Wide awake and he shakes in a panic
Never woke up alone ever before
Had his woman long as he can remember
Tries to forget, but he can't, he can't...

Out of bed and he dreams in the shower
She's standing naked and apologizing
Reaches for her and the water turns to red hot
Woken up to be burned, burned, again...

Go it alone
You gotta let it go
I wanna breathe and I said
I can't take it any other way

On the streets he's walkin', wounded
Doesn't smile for the child at play
Thoughts of suicide and alleviation
Anything to get his heart off of the coals

Does he fly away or just talk about it
Like a seagull born to cry in the wind
All experiences lead to a young girl
How long 'til you meet the one who lies in wait

Go it alone
You got to let it go
Try to breathe, but you can't
You can't take it any other way

Myself, don't talk to me
I can help myself, don't talk to me

Wide awake and he shakes in a panic
Never woke up alone ever before
Had his woman long as he can remember
Tries to forget, but he can't, he can't...

*** CandleOfThought ***
"Shower the people you love with love, show them the way you feel"

Yield
9/16/99 5:03 PM
Re: This is the song of the day... ALONE

bringing this to the top

Sister Parish
9/16/99 6:10 PM

Hey, why is no one giving this a shot?

I've never really thought too Deeply about this one. To me, it's about a guy who's having a really, really hard time getting over his ex.

"I can't help myself. Don't fuck with me." - my roommate's creative interpretation of "Alone" lyrics

eggy
9/16/99 11:29 PM

Alone seems to be similar to Black, but from a third-person perspective. The man who loses someeone he loves, can't smile when he sees children playing. I know there's more to it than that but I'm kinda tired right now : ). But I do love this song so dammit, more interpretations!

Laura

open window
9/16/99 11:35 PM

Alone deals with a heart-broken man who lost his love.
Seems that she left him and he can't deal with the pain so he distracts himself with other numbing thoughts.
Unfortunately, because he's so distracted, he loses contact with what joys of life go on right in front of him.
The only one who can let go of his lost love is himself.

jace
9/16/99 11:50 PM

I haven't given this much thought either, it's a great song, I just love the music.

allareone
9/17/99 06:10 AM

i've never heard the music that accompanies this, never heard this single

i think we all go there though, male & female. We all cross that path when we feel like there is no-one else that can spark our day...when we don't smile, nothing can make us feel happy because our own thoughts invade us & we feel...i dunno', defunct? Like we wanna' be... not there...stuck in that mindset of lost love, watching a fire & feeling burnt.

CandleOfThought
9/17/99 07:01 AM

As others said, this song is very similar in theme to "Black"; it's about the emotions that take over when you have lost someone you loved and who was a big part of your life, all your life, now it seems, since she's gone. But, because it's in the 3rd person, it's a lot more descriptive, a lot more movie-like, without all the overwhelming agony of "Black". You can easily picture the man reaching for the mirage of the girl standing in the shower and it vanishing, while in "Black" the pain took over you and ravaged through your brain, making all pictures hazy and flurry; you felt it a lot more than you saw it.

Also, there is another big difference: there is hope in this song, in the person of "the one who lies in wait". In "Black", only the girl who had left him had hopes of happiness ("one day you'll have a beautiful life"), while for him all would remain dark forever. This can be also an effect of the 3rd person view: when you're not the one immersed in the pain, it is easier to rationalize and figure that eventually life will move on; we all know how much better we are in giving advice to others than in following it ourselves... ;)

This is a good song by anyone's standards, but since the comparison with "Black" is inevitable, it necessarily pales in the light of the stronger, more personal song.

*** CandleOfThought ***
"Shower the people you love with love, show them the way you feel"

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
~C.S.

hedonist
2/16/01 12:48 PM
Re: SOTD: ALONE

Glad you found another one, RrVw...I think the interps (so few of them!) summed it up pretty well.....

Just one note - I agree with Candle's take on this...with the first/third persons...interesting, then, how the third person changes to the first, in the lyric "I can help myself, don't talk to me".........

Candle, I miss you!!!

RrVwMirror
2/16/01 1:33 PM

I agree with you hedo....I miss Candle too....he did say he was going to be around more often....wonder what happened?

That first/third person thing.....I find it in a lot of PJ songs.....

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
~C.S.

krzzzymary
2/16/01 2:05 PM

Thank you rvm.... I love this song so much....
The music and the words.
I think the the past interps say it all.
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It seems to me the big thing about this song, is for the man the women who is now gone was is entire life before. I sense he does not know how to really live without her.
    Without Me, it's just Aweso
  • Options
    I hope they play songs like this on the Rarities Tour (im crossing my fingers for that one)
  • Options
    i LOVE this song
    "I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks."
  • Options
    it's been a long time that i don't hear this song
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • Options
    This is one of my fave PJ songs. For me, however, I don't see it as akin to Black. For some reason I've always discerned a note of betrayal or unfaithfullness in the relationship dealt with in Alone. Using the words "apologising" and "burned" suggest something like infidelity to me. "the one who lies in wait" has always held an ominous note for me, as if there is a sense of foreboding or warning about it. I realise that my interpretation is somewhat disparate from the others, perhaps I'm wrong.
  • Options
    "Alone" is a goosebump song for me. I have always loved it.
    the whole world will be different soon
    the whole world will be relieved
  • Options
    anyone who ever reads my posts knows i am obsessed with this song, and why they don't play it. it is exceptional, and so full of meaning. *swoon* i hope they play it on the mini-tour we all assume they are having.

guys please play it somewhere in the midwest so i can see it!
    "Me oh my oh, lost in Ohio ... I'm in Ohio high oh ... just making my way through Ohio where the sky is and the roads are long ... went back to Ohio and my city was gone..."

E.V., 6/24/03
  • Options
    ohh,,, how I would love to hear it live!!! I love this song mostly because it's so complicated and so simple at once...
    www.bushisms.com