Options

Given To Fly

MerkingBoyMerkingBoy Posts: 249
I always though this song was about Jesus.

"arms wide open with the sea as his floor" =
Jesus walking on water maybe?

"but first he was stripped, and he was stabbed by faceless men"= the Crucifix?

"and he still gives his love, he just gives it away; the love that he recieves is the love that he saved"= the Bible, Jesus gives his love, and people give it back to him

Who esle thinks so aswell?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i could agree,
    i also think the beginning could be about when ed first left home
    or something just my opinion

"A bad time, nothing could save him
    Alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out
    He got up outta there, ran for hundreds of miles
    He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree
    The wind rose up, set him down on his knee"

good song, i listened to it today,,,,several times

"A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at me now"
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor
    Oh, power, oh"
    _
    i interpret this part as maybe ed finding love in surfing
    the hey look at me now kind of radiates running for miles from
    wherever
    "thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
    thiers still time so escape,,,,
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    It's re-incarnation, no?
  • Options
    i think that it's based on any type of angel figure. It's very possible that it's about Jesus (although the thought of Jesus having a 'smoke in a tree' is kind of disturbing). I guess only Ed knows for sure. I've always had a spiritual feeling towards this song.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    i agree; i have also always thought this had something to do with Jesus and Christianity. But, i think that other things and life was incorporated into the lyrics.
  • Options
    I always thought this song was about angels as well. I think it is kind of about the sacrifices one must make. First he gets out of a bad situation, first part of first verse. So he goes to a place to calm himself down and do something to make him feel better. This part of the song has always made me think of surfing, which Ed likes to do:
    "he made it to the ocean had a smoke in a tree
    the wind rose up, set him down on his knee
    a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw,
    delivered him wings, "hey look at me now..."
    arms wide open with the sea as his floor"

Then he comes back to share the happiness he has found and to help out others. But he finds a bad situation again, but it doesn't affect him, he just does the best he can do to make things as good as possible, as an angel or Jesus would do.