Options

Song of the day(Garden)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
The 9th song off of Ten, this one has been been called Garden of Stone, among other things, and is a rarely played live tune now a days unfortantely!

Ladies and Gents, here is Garden.

RrVwMirror
1/12/01 8:04 PM
SOTD: ...GARDEN

El Conquistador
8/13/99 09:36 AM
I will walk into your GARDEN......

This one is trcky too..... Should have a lot of different ideas ;-)

GARDEN

She don't wander in...don't wander in here, she...
She don't wander in here...don't wander in here...

The direction of the eye, so misleading
The defection of the soul, nauseously quick
I don't question, our existence
I just question, our modern needs

She don't wander in...don't wander in here, she...
She don't wander in here...

I will walk...with my hands bound
I will walk...with my face blood
I will walk...with my shadow flag
Into your garden, garden of stone...yeah...

After all is done, and we're still alone
I won't be taken, yet I'll go...with my hands bound
Into your garden, garden of stone

I don't show...I don't share...
I don't need, yeah...what you have to give...

Oooh, I will walk...with my hands bound
Into your garden, garden...oh...

I will walk with my hands bound
I will walk into your garden, garden of stone...

I don't know...I don't care...
I don't need you for me to live...yeah, yeah, yeah, oh...
Uh huh huh... (8x)

El Conquistador
8/13/99 11:03 AM
Re: I will walk into your GARDEN......

okay guys....let's get this one rolling...I will give you my interp...

This song paints a picture in my head...I picture a man, bruised, beaten, and tied keep walking towards his source of pain...not giving up....he is strong...he has been beaten down physically, but he will not let his mind or spirit be destroyed...walking slowly, but strongly....He has blood dripping down from his face...he is looking towards the ground... his hands are tied and he is holding them out in front of his head...and his shadow is trailing him aginst the ground as if it is the flag that he carries...

I think, however, that this song was written on an emotional, not physical, level....so this man that I just described would be his emotions....he is beaten down by someone, but he will not just sit down and surrender like this source wants him to...he will keep going, and he won't back down from the pain....

It is kind of like then end of Braveheart...he is tortured, but he stays strong..he does not give in....he stands up for what he believes and no amount of pain can change that...

cheekywombat
8/13/99 11:30 AM
I think its about facing the inevitability of....

death. Gardens of stone = cemetaries. This song, to me, is very deep spiritually. He is referring to dealing with the drudgery of life as we know it..& all the bullshit that we've created & become as a result of our "taker" ways (Ishmael reference) The more "progress" we make in terms of technology & "modern needs" the more we take away from our human spirit...from our good, innocent pure souls...he's saying that although his soul & spirit are battered by all this, he will live his life & not faulter (a lot like In My Tree) & face death with confidence.

El Conquistador
8/13/99 11:40 AM
Re: I think its about facing the inevitability of....

nice...I like that!

Bastet
8/13/99 11:44 AM
the music

I just want to say that I think this song has some of the most beautiful music on Ten. Stone is so incredibly talented.

=^--^=

Mick
8/13/99 11:48 AM

yes ths is definately a song where pearl jam have really displayed their emotions well in both the misic and lyrics.

"I want to be enlightened like i want to be told the end, end yeah".
-Eddie Vedder

8/13/99 12:18 PM

i get a funny feeling from the song (i am completely brain dead - so i am not my verbose self)

to me it's a "got dumped" song - with all the emotions of betrayal and emptiness and coldness that
come from somebody who has turned on you - but you must continue to exist with this person in your life -
probably on a daily basis

you hold your head up and go on - despite all the daily reminders of things that were once vibrant and
are now dead to you

hey - petrified people - petrified hearts

there are going to be so many takes on this one - but this is mine

Tamara
8/13/99 1:42 PM

It's definitely about being vulnerable, walking with his hands bound, etc. I think he's going somewhere where he doesn't want to go (garden of stone,
usually gardens are beautiful) but he can't help himself, or he knows he shouldn't but he goes anyway. He definitely has a moment of strength "I don't
show...I don't share...I don't need, yeah...what you have to give..." But then weakens again and continues to go, put up with it, etc.

I thought this was about a relationship at first too. He's been abused mentally but he keeps going back to her. But by reading all these interps. it seems
like there could be much more to it. I like everyone's ides, very cool.

"If I knew where it was I would take you there..."

evenkat
8/13/99 1:48 PM

It seems to me about someone in a very hard situation, possibly mental abuse, who is saying they will overcome it. Very defiant, love it.

"You know what it's like" EV

RrVwMirror
8/13/99 3:22 PM

I think this song is about ones struggle with life, trying to overcome the greed we face in our society...
I feel this is a song about one's struggle to live...without giving into all the 'evil' that is so easy to fall into...
It is about one NOT willing to sell his soul...
One that will fight to survive...and as he faces his own mortality...(he does not want to die, yet knows he will one day)..."I won't be taken...Yet I'll go"...he will fight to survive this life as best he can, and when he does go, it will not be without a fight....a fight that is against all the evil temptations that we face in everyday life...

Theresa3.15
8/13/99 6:07 PM

I couldn't agree with you more El Conquistador. When you've lived it as I have it's so much easier to understand. Be True to yourself, Faith is rewarded when all is said and done. Peace and Love, Theresa

Sister Parish
8/13/99 6:09 PM
Mind Expanding Exercise

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading everyone's song interpretations so far. They have been really insightful, and have helped me to realize that Pearl Jam's music is even more beautiful and complex then I imagined.

I usually associate visual images or feelings with music. This song always conjured the image of Native Americans to me; abused, bound, forced to march, a kind of "Trail of Tears" thing. cheekywombat's post really hit me, and helped me make more sense of my own ideas about this song. I agree that the "garden of stone" is a cemetery, but taking the Ismael reference even further, I think it's a metaphorical graveyard for the old "Leaver" ways. It's about the death of our past, more harmonious ways (with nature and each other), brought about by our modern obsession with "progress" and greed.

OpenBand4TheSun
8/13/99 6:54 PM
My view on the subject

A very hard one... Is Life a good enough answer? By this I mean, it is the Journey we all call Life. All the hardships, and evil temptations that we are confronted with, and choices we must face. The vices we have and the bonds we must break. ...to get through life!

RrVwMirroR, funny, I wrote this before I read anyone's post, and I would have to say you read my mind!
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JamFan
    8/13/99 8:33 PM
    Re: My view on the subject

Great posts by all that have done some so far. This song seems to be about a man's struggle through life. He has trouble with modern beliefs but must accept them. The man wan't to fight for his rights and will till he dies. Sometimes, though, it is just too hard.

I don't want to take what you can give. I would rather starve that eat your bread.-EV

Corona
    8/13/99 8:58 PM

"She don't wander in here, don't wander in here..."

I feel that this does relate to an abusive or co-dependent relationship where the abuser does not even realize what is created - a garden of stone (not so much a cemetary, but a warped version of something that should be beautiful).

As the co-dependent or victim, he understands the garden, the struggles, and the pain it causes to himself; yet he carries on....Carrying his "shadow flag" aka "shadow cross(?)" In the case of co-dependence, he has wieghed the good and the bad of the person and has accepted this burden.

I feel that "...with my hands bound..." is symbolism for not being in control of (victim) or not being able to change (co-dependent) the situation/relationship.

BTW, this song touches me deeply because I have been in love with a very beautiful (inside & out), loving girl who has carried her "shadow flag"/ "cross" through an abusive childhood. Faith in God above has caried her "THROUGH the valley...", not around it, over it etc. Things that have made better people turn bitter and hateful, have only made her more appreciative of the beauty of life, peace, and love.

Shine On, Jamily!
    Corona

SteinbeckPearl
    8/13/99 10:40 PM
    Re: I think its about facing the inevitability of....

He would not stop for miss death, so she stopped for him. (dickinson) The song definitely refers to the dreary end. One thing I've noticed in these posts is that no one comments on how the actual music fits the content of the lyrics... the same way we give value to sound devices in poetry, we shouldn't limit ourselves to the text when discussing these songs. Like in garden, how you have the rhythm of the song accompanying the walking in the refrain... music gives so much more intensity than if you were just looking at the text... I suggest we take advantage of the intricacies of pj craftsmanship and broaden our perspectives.
    Just a thought.

Peace.

wendi
    8/14/99 01:48 AM

okay, this is probably a stretch and as a side note I haven't participated in these discussions until now....
    I sort of feel as if there might be two voices going on here, maybe. I like what Sister parish (I think) said about the Native Americans, but I think this song may even go further. deeper. Could it be about the Earth (or "Mother Earth" as a person) itself? I can't really match this up with specific lyrics, it's just sort of an overall feeling.

Jason
  • Options
    ThunderclapThunderclap Lexington, KY Posts: 108
    I don't have any comments on the song, allthough I do wish they would play it more often. It is a really good song.

But what I really came here to say is that I like how you (Jason) copied the thread from the old old Synergy with some of the old people posting their opinions. I wonder where alot of these people are now.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I love Garden, I wish they would have played it at the Garden, but yeah. haha

I remember at MSGII, Eddie saw someone w/a sign that said Garden and he said "yes, yes, we are at the garden" hahaha

I think the only time they played that song was in Milan in 2000, correct me if I am wrong:)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    Originally posted by MeddleDeal
    I love Garden, I wish they would have played it at the Garden, but yeah. haha

I remember at MSGII, Eddie saw someone w/a sign that said Garden and he said "yes, yes, we are at the garden" hahaha

damn man i know.. ok ill admit it..i like this song :D just showin some love to the song of the day!! :p
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thunderclap
    I don't have any comments on the song, allthough I do wish they would play it more often. It is a really good song.

But what I really came here to say is that I like how you (Jason) copied the thread from the old old Synergy with some of the old people posting their opinions. I wonder where alot of these people are now.

Hi there Thunderclap, thanks for your kind words.

A lot of those old timers are no longer around, but some of them are lurking here and there:)

These posts were saved a couple of years ago, when the old old board was going down, so yeah been a long time around these parts.

Jason
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    i feel a little differently about this song now

not sure why? maybe it's the influence of other people

i think it's more about death - or the death of something,
    life, relationships, faith
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    I went on a listening binge of this song this past summer again.
    Specifically the Atlanta '94 version of it.

Such an amazing version, you can't help but crank the whole thing....and the ending. Well the ending is so kick ass especially at the end when ed is screaming..

YEAH, YEAH YEAH MOTHER FUCKER

One of those versions that'll make you either drive through a stop light or increase your spead by about 50 mph without even knowing it.
    It makes the hair on my arms stand up!
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I always thought the 'She' that is referred as compassion. I thought this song to be in the same vein as Evenflow. Is compassion dead in our society?

Even though he's trying to put up a good fight he knows that he will end up being at least a little materialistic, hell who isn't.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 337
    "I dont question our existence I just question our modern needs"

WOW..that line simply fascinates me!

For me "Garden" is a really positive song. "I will walk..."
    Actually it means a lot to me, as I was quite ill for a while and somehow these lyrics have helped me keep spirits up. Love the way Eddie Vedder interprets the song. He sings with so much...heart. I guess that has gotten lost in so many other singers and that's why PJ are so special. Their songs touch us..right in heart and mind.
  • Options
    Well fuck me! I just came in here to make a thread about Garden, coz I'm listening to it on a boot right now & I love it so much. But I guess the works been done for me. Haven't read what's in this thread yet but i'm sure it's alll great stuff, thanks JDE-PJ for the song of the day threads, they are always fantastic. Good to see someone had the foresight to save this stuff.
    Garden was one of the first songs I got my head around from Ten, and it's always been really special to me for that reason. Whenever I listen to it all I can think of is the first time I heard it, and it's probably the only Pearl Jam song- any song really- that I feel that way about. It's the lines "I will walk w/ my hands bound" etc etc that get me every time. Love it.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
    Down to the bits that I left uptown
    I need a fix cause I'm going down