Options

What does "See you on the flipside" mean to you?

Just wondering how eveyone see's this in their own way....

Let the discussions begin...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    if said casually, could mean just see you later, but taken more seriously, it's like saying see you in the afterlife. but then you'd have to believe in an afterlife to begin with...
    oh Ed! what big vinyl you have!

Won't let the light escape from me
    Won't let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    Could mean, see ya in the 2nd HAlF of this Life...or third ex......
  • Options
    i always thought Off He Goes was about a cat
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    means later dude!!!
  • Options
    myblood2myblood2 Posts: 74
    hmmmmm

well to me....ive always thought...without really relating it to the song specifically but just the idea of seeing you on the flipside

....meaning the afterlife....and in some cases...its directed to oneself...as in you will see yourself on the flipside

also hinting that it isnt really that bad a place
    Forever and ever ....Pearl Jam
  • Options
    I sometimes sign off my emails to ppl w/ 'see you on the flipside', just as a cute way of saying 'see ya later'... especially if it's too a fellow PJ fan. Maybe I should re-consider that... I'd hate for ppl to think I was gonna top myself and I'm saying that I'll see them in the afterlife... but then, in that context, as an email sign off, I guess that wouldn't really make too much sense. Hmmmm, I honestly never really thought of it as a 'see you in the afterlife' type thing, but I can definitely see how you would get that.
    "...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    I think its just a casual expression that means something like "I'll see ya later." I don't know if its regional, but I knew someone in SF that used to use that expression. Clearly its a reference to turning a record over. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    i think it means see you later
    but then
    "its like his thoughts are too big for his size"
    i think they realize- hey this is our friend who always gets us thinking real deep
    so it must mean more....
    running out of time...meet me on the moon
  • Options
    VeddrmanVeddrman Posts: 39
    see you on the flip side = the other side...break on through through the other side yeah.........the after life
    I just want to say uhmmm, 1, 2, 3...
  • Options
    I'm thinking afterlife . . .
  • Options
    this is a really aweosme thread.
    There have been shows where maybe the whole first half of the show my eyes have been closed. and then you'll look out in the crowd and there'll be somebody totally lost in their head, in exactly the same place you're in. That, to me, is the essence of music

~Jeff Ament
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    I think it's see you in the next life in the context of the song, but outside of that I could see it being said as see you later.
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    Part of the lexicon of grunge, isn't it?
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    it means "see ya later".

unless, you say it like "SEE YOU ON THE FLIP SIDE, MOTHERFUCKER!" and then it means, you'll see him when he's done fucking his mother.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    "see ya on the flipside"...YES..the other side. The next time our paths collide.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    in eds treein eds tree Denver Posts: 539
    i have always thought of this song as like, an homage to the other side of the narrator. at least that's how i would have meant it if i were the narrator...
    "and now he's home...and we're laughing...like we always did...my same old, same old friend..." i dunno like a split personality thing, same w/ the "said he'll see me on the flip side..it's like his thoughts are too big for his size...he's been taken...where? i don't know..." but then again i am crazy so, ya know...IT'S ALL IN MY HEAD
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • Options
    Take it literally: it obviously refers to flipping over an vinyl record (tried the flipside of a cd yet?). What's on the flipside of a record? Either another song or a different part of the album. It's not the end of music when you flip the record, just different music. That's what I guess it means: Changes are gonna come and the situation will no longer be the same. Maybe we won't even be the same people by that time. But we WILL see eachother again, you can trust in that, this is not the end.
  • Options
    i was thinking about jesus and the story
    of love and sacrifice of life
    i was very much feeling spiritual
    within the thought of the loving jesus

then i was thinking if the spirit had no
    name and the story was the same
    then would we hurt each other
    into believing in our beliefs

i'm not christian
    convicted
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,194
    I agree with Huddie Ledbetter; I took it as a literal flipping over a vinyl record (since Eddies a fan of them himself), but I think it's more like "See you next time I come back" which would be the continuation of their friendship but it's a whole different "song".
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kenny Olav
    it means "see ya later".

unless, you say it like "SEE YOU ON THE FLIP SIDE, MOTHERFUCKER!" and then it means, you'll see him when he's done fucking his mother.

Um, what the fuck? heheh
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.
  • Options
    As this is a song about a person who often drifts off into their own deep thoughts, I would suggest it means to see you again when I'm back to my old, casual self.
    ". . . as each breath goes by I only own my mind."
  • Options
    I agree that this line means difference. The flip side of a record. Two very different people in the song. The narrator being some what reserved and the other fella should be on ritilin. They get together every now and then and catch up on each others lives. Off he goes without his ritilin.
    I was alone
    I took a ride
    I didn't know
    What I would
    Find there.
  • Options
    alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Here's a suggestion.......

Maybe refers to listening to a vinyl record......does anyone know if Off He Goes is the last song on the 1st side of No Code???
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Options
    RatsRats Posts: 15
    I believe this is where it came from
    See you on the flip side is a variation
    of the phrase catch ya on the flip side
    made popular in the 70`s with the CB radio craze
    it meant talk to ya on the return trip/talk to ya later
    Like Pilate I have a dog
  • Options
    if you open a door in your dreams

oh yea, anyway if you do what i did last night
    you would see that everything is upside down'

i wasflyinguntil some gentle angels said and popped me awake to

what time do you want to get up
  • Options
    back to the reference of off he goes being about a cat...would a cat have unkept clothes? *chuckles*
    ...please stand by the shore
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    you can go to