Options

Release appretiation thread

Has any one listened to release lately? Play it loud and weep!
And we're all allowed to dream of the next time we touch.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Release was the first PJ song I really connected with when I got Ten the week after it came out.

I didn't understand it all that much then and still am not sure I do, but that is the absolute beauty of that song. I don't think I want to ever fully understnad it.
    Anyone who punches themselves in the face while masturbating has a short penis.
  • Options
    Release was probably the first song I really connected with deeply. I can remember playing the cassette over and over on my walkman in high school. A few years later, I was having some communication problems with my Dad, and played him this song. It was really the only way I knew how to let him know kind of what I feeling at the time....
    Having tasted
    A life wasted

I am never going back again
  • Options
    Originally posted by tenaciousg
    Release was probably the first song I really connected with deeply. I can remember playing the cassette over and over on my walkman in high school. A few years later, I was having some communication problems with my Dad, and played him this song. It was really the only way I knew how to let him know kind of what I feeling at the time....
    Thats lovely... did it work?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alive1897
    Release was the first PJ song I really connected with when I got Ten the week after it came out.

I didn't understand it all that much then and still am not sure I do, but that is the absolute beauty of that song. I don't think I want to ever fully understnad it.
    Isnt it nicer that way? you can make it fit your own life.
  • Options
    ledfloydledfloyd Posts: 604
    after black, this is my favorite pj song...it's such a powerful experience to hear it live, definitely my favorite opener
    "won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom...cause all i've ever had, redemption songs"
    --BOB MARLEY
  • Options
    pao_dpao_d Posts: 16
    i am myself like you somehow...
    i hold the pain.. release me

*goosebumps*
    "living is the best revenge"
    - eddie vedder
  • Options
    Originally posted by christmas clean
    Thats lovely... did it work?

At least he knew where I was coming from after that. :)
    Having tasted
    A life wasted

I am never going back again
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    Very beautiful song. Once you read the lyrics, you just can't help it but be touched by it. I know I was. nice way to end the album as well.

Lucky to those who got this song during this tour.:)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    Isnt it nicer that way? you can make it fit your own life.

Absolutely, It's simply a tremendous song. It was of only a few that will send chills up my spine when I hear it played, live or cd.
    Anyone who punches themselves in the face while masturbating has a short penis.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll start off by saying I have serious daddy issues. I mean, if your dad denied the fact that you were his son even though he spent the first eleven years of your life with you, wouldn't you be a little fucked as well? Well, I was driving around one day listening to Ten, and it came to "Release". Now, I havent talked to my father in at least five years, but when I heard the song that day it triggered something inside of me, something said "hey, maybe you should just go to your dad and tell him how he has made you feel". It struck me so hard that I honestly had to stop the car and just sit there for a while. A few weeks later I was talking to a good friend about divorce and everything and all of a sudden I became fiercely angry. I had never been angry with my father over what he had done to me, but at that moment the gates busted open and intense hatred flooded out. Ever since then I cant think about him without getting very upset. I feel as if that day, listening to "Release", it was my last chance to make things right with my father, but I didn't take the oppurtunity and I turned a corner that I can never go back around. Sorry, but I just had to get that all off my chest.
    "The children have to save themselves these days because the parents don't have a clue"-Donnie Darko

"We were done, done, done with all the fuck, fuck, fuckin around"-Modest Mouse
  • Options
    yes...i have daddy issues too...without going into detail...there were two..one who was never there...and one who was but didn't want to be...release is beautiful...
    ...well i guess there's nothing wong with what you say...
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Ok, I must show my appreciation for this song too. It's actually one of my fav songs by this band. It easily makes my top 10 of all time. Problem is, since certain life changing events it is honeslty TOO painful to listen to. I've never had that happen with a PJ song. EVER! But here it is. I can't even remember the last time I listened to it. It tears me apart. While that makes me love it even more...knowing that it has SOOO much power, it seriously is too much to handle. What a song though! I must give it up. It's so passionate and heartfelt. It's hard not to loose it on this one regardless. These words, the pain behind them and the pain you can feel in Eddie's voice. It's so intense.

What was it, the Kansas City show when they opened with this one and as soon as Ed sang "Ooooh dear dad, can you see me now" lightning struck and it begin to pour down rain? HOLY SHIT!!!! And then Ed looked up and said "Hi Dad."

*tears*

*chills all over*

Just hearing about that made me cry. This song is beyond moving. It really owns a very deep part of my heart and soul. Although it hurts to listen to it, I must give this song much appreciation. It's one of the best by far.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    I think "Release" may be my favorite PJ song. That does change a lot based on my mood of course but it will definitely always remain up there. Amazing song!!!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." -'Release' PJ
  • Options
    Originally posted by Corduroy8
    I think "Release" may be my favorite PJ song. That does change a lot based on my mood of course but it will definitely always remain up there. Amazing song!!!

Same with me. Such an amazing song....I can't even describe how it makes me feel when I listen to it.
    -Justin

"Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age and beyond color...straight into the mind and heart of all people."~Ben Harper
  • Options
    Release is an absolutely beautiful song. It's one of my all time favorites, 2nd best on Ten after Black in my opinion.
    I discovered the secret of life, but forgot to write it down.
  • Options
    I love gettin appreciation threads :D
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=2848604&posted=1#post2848604

The First Casualties Of WorldWideSuicide.....Viva La Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    Originally posted by VEDHEAD27
    Ok, I must show my appreciation for this song too. It's actually one of my fav songs by this band. It easily makes my top 10 of all time. Problem is, since certain life changing events it is honeslty TOO painful to listen to. I've never had that happen with a PJ song. EVER! But here it is. I can't even remember the last time I listened to it. It tears me apart. While that makes me love it even more...knowing that it has SOOO much power, it seriously is too much to handle. What a song though! I must give it up. It's so passionate and heartfelt. It's hard not to loose it on this one regardless. These words, the pain behind them and the pain you can feel in Eddie's voice. It's so intense.

What was it, the Kansas City show when they opened with this one and as soon as Ed sang "Ooooh dear dad, can you see me now" lightning struck and it begin to pour down rain? HOLY SHIT!!!! And then Ed looked up and said "Hi Dad."

*tears*

*chills all over*

Just hearing about that made me cry. This song is beyond moving. It really owns a very deep part of my heart and soul. Although it hurts to listen to it, I must give this song much appreciation. It's one of the best by far.

Awwww I didn't know that Ed said that!!! You were at the KC show??? You never told me that! DAMN!
    This song makes me get choked up too. Beautiful song, and it says many of the things in my heart.
    Ed is a lyrical genius!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sea As His Floor
    Ok, I'll start off by saying I have serious daddy issues. I mean, if your dad denied the fact that you were his son even though he spent the first eleven years of your life with you, wouldn't you be a little fucked as well? Well, I was driving around one day listening to Ten, and it came to "Release". Now, I havent talked to my father in at least five years, but when I heard the song that day it triggered something inside of me, something said "hey, maybe you should just go to your dad and tell him how he has made you feel". It struck me so hard that I honestly had to stop the car and just sit there for a while. A few weeks later I was talking to a good friend about divorce and everything and all of a sudden I became fiercely angry. I had never been angry with my father over what he had done to me, but at that moment the gates busted open and intense hatred flooded out. Ever since then I cant think about him without getting very upset. I feel as if that day, listening to "Release", it was my last chance to make things right with my father, but I didn't take the oppurtunity and I turned a corner that I can never go back around. Sorry, but I just had to get that all off my chest.

You see i've notsuch issues with my father, but we have frequent fights, that some times end up as fist fights, and you know it's rare cuz we love a lot each others but sometimes hapens, an' the last 1 i reacted giving him a fist on his face & anyway i mean you should listen to My fathers house & Indipendence day by bruce springsteen they talk so much to me, and i hope it will work
    out even for you as it worked when my father listened to them, and now you know we are ok one with each other.

PS the tread was about release so it's my favorite song of ten with garden.
    walk with me out on a wire 'couse baby i'm just a scared an' lonley rider but i gotta find out how it feels i wonna know if love is wild i wonna know if love is real
    CAN YOU SHOW ME?! B springsteen

... Cuz in 1985 (as right now) the blind faith in your leaders or in any thing will get you killed, couse what i'm talkin' about here is WAR! b SPRINGSTEEN

yankee dollar talks to the dictators of the world infact is givin' orders an' they can't afford to miss a word
    i'm so bored with the USA- the CLASH
  • Options
    Originally posted by ACCBootlegGoddess
    Awwww I didn't know that Ed said that!!! You were at the KC show??? You never told me that! DAMN!
    This song makes me get choked up too. Beautiful song, and it says many of the things in my heart.
    Ed is a lyrical genius!

Yeah, that actually happened. SOOO beautiful, huh? No, I wasn't there silly. I heard about it though. I actually think you were one of the people that told me about it. LOL!! Anyways yeah, just hearing about that made me choke up. Yet another song where Ed just lays his heart/soul out on the table. It's sooo intense and soo emotional.

The part that really attacks me is....

" I'll wait up in the dark for you to speak to meeeeeeeeeeeeee"

:(

Oh man. The pain there. Wow!

*chills*

And one of the best lines ever imo "I'll ride the wave where it takes me". GORGEOUS! It's always ringing in my head. These lyrics are just so perfect and again, so heartfelt and personal. What a song!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    Originally posted by VEDHEAD27
    Yeah, that actually happened. SOOO beautiful, huh? No, I wasn't there silly. I heard about it though. I actually think you were one of the people that told me about it. LOL!! Anyways yeah, just hearing about that made me choke up. Yet another song where Ed just lays his heart/soul out on the table. It's sooo intense and soo emotional.

The part that really attacks me is....

" I'll wait up in the dark for you to speak to meeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Oh man. The pain there. Wow!

*chills*

And one of the best lines ever imo "I'll ride the wave where it takes me". GORGEOUS! It's always ringing in my head. These lyrics are just so perfect and again, so heartfelt and personal. What a song!

Those lines get to me too. Also "I hold the paaain...release meeeeeeeee, release meeeeeeee."
    OMG *chills*

Ed really does lay it all down for us. What a beautiful song, and a perfect one for me at this time of year :(
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    It's a beautiful song. I love it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    <~~~ listening to RELEASE for the first time in years

*tears*

I'm actually listening to the legendary Kansas City show for the first time!

*goosebumps*

This is INCREDIBLE!! As I said before, just hearing about this was touching enough, but actually hearing it?!?! OMG!! This song has a way of making me cry my eyes out no matter what, it just hits too close to home on so many levels and the pain I feel from Ed on top of my pain just makes it hurt even more. The song never does pick up, it stays very sad. This person is stuck, waiting to be released...and with all the pleading it never does happen by the end of the song. It really makes it even more intense. In this Kansas City version though, when the lightning crashes and the rain falls and you hear Ed say "Hi Dad" he truely sounds so happy!! To have some happiness work it's way into this song is just beautiful!!! After Ed says that though this song becomes the most emotional version I have ever heard. You can tell he does get really choked up. This is the best live version I have ever heard of this song. There is such magic to it. Even though I am sitting here crying my eyes out, Ed and his "Hi Dad" really add something hopeful to this song....like he has finally been released or something. :(

Thank you again for this one PJ! It's seriously one of the most powerful songs I have ever heard!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    You said it perfectly Lydia!!!!!!! I was lucky enough to work out a trade for this show so i have a hard copy of this song now. And OMG! Truly wonderful!!! It's always been a favourite from 'Ten' but this one has about 100% more emotion to it.

As the lightning strikes, Ed says 'hi dad'....how perfect. I remember the first time i heard it, my heart just sank. it moved me sooo much, and there were tears in my eyes. From there, Ed's voice just soars thorugh the skies, into the heavens above. He reaches the high notes at the end as well. Everything about this is truly perfect and so very special!
    I'm glad you like it Lydia!! Keep it close to your heart, and i hope it can help you through any tough times to come.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    YES! I definitely agree Ross! And thank you SO much for sending this to me. It will always be close to my heart. This version is very, very special. You are so right, his voice does soar into the heavens after that part!! Soooo amazing! It's like his Dad made himself heard, and now Eddie is trying to speak to him...let him know that he received and appreciated his acknowledgement. It's beautiful. Adds even more power to this song! He releases so much in this version.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    I love it too, such a powerful song.
    But like some others here, there are certain times when I can't listen to it. It takes me to a place I don't wanna be.
    Dear God, save me from your followers

Avocados have a big Stone
  • Options
    Yeah I totally hear ya Lanfear. It's like sometimes it's a pain you don't wanna/aren't ready to confront, and other times it's a pain that you need to confront. All I know is everytime I hear this one it digs deeps and really gets to me. I know I've said it before but I'll say it again, it's got a TON of power going on...on all levels.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    i absolutely love this song....i FINALLY got to hear it in chicago this year and it made me cry listening to it live.
    i kept hoping and hoping each show i went to that they would open with that and they finally did.......all smiles here
    restless souls, enjoy your youth
  • Options
    KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    :D:D:D:D
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • Options
    Release has always done that for me.....
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Options
    edeneden Posts: 407
    Has any one listened to release lately? Play it loud and weep!

I was just listening to Release and thinking that Ive listened to this song for well over 10 years now and its still blows me away every time .