Song of the day(Go)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
The first song off of Pearl Jam second album VS, this one gets it off to a hard rocking start.

Go

RrVwMirror
1/12/01 8:18 PM
SOTD: .....GO

El Conquistador
8/30/99 07:42 AM
oh, please don't GO out on me

GO

Oh, please don't go out on me, don't go out on me now
Never acted up before, don't go on me now
I swear I never took it for granted, just thought of it now
Suppose I abused you, just passing it on
Go...fuck...

Once fastened, servile, now your getting sharp
Moving oh so swiftly, with such disarm
I pulled the covers over him, shoulda' pulled the alarm
Turned to my nemesis, a fool, not a fucking god
No...time...suck...my...Please...
Don't go on me (4x)
Please...oh...

Suck...blood...touch...please, tunnel vision...tuck...time...see...
Please, please, please...
Don't go on me (4x)
Please...Don't you want me...don't go on me...
Please...don't go on me..

Bastet
8/30/99 11:31 AM
Re: song of the day! let's start Vs

I just wanted to bring this back up - it got buried. I love this music - so intense. One of my favorites live.

[yellow] =^--^= [/yellow]

RrVwMirror
8/30/99 12:05 PM
Re: oh, please don't GO out on me

First of all I would like to say ElConquistador I am so glad you didn't 'go' out on us....I was worried!

GO is a song that I didn't like too much until I heard the words...I believe it is about a person who was abused and has realized too late that he has grown into the abuser! He is regretful that he didn't turn in his abuser, and let his abuse become him nemesis...

This song expresses alot of anger and regret in both the lyrics and the music!

It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...

OpenBand4TheSun
8/30/99 4:15 PM
Gotta keep this on on top...

I don't got time to analyze this now, but I will soon... keep it on top.

evenkat
8/30/99 4:21 PM

I thought of it as more of trying to stay true to oneself and not let outside forces get the best of you. While fighting off negative things that have happened to you and trying to not let them affect you.

I liked it the first time I heard it. And it still sounds could. What a kick ass song.

"You know what it's like" EV

Yield
8/30/99 4:44 PM

I always thought that these lyrics meant something else, but i think i remember hearing that is was about Ed's truck...it makes sense when you read it, but i like to have my own personal meaning and put the real one aside.

JDE-PJ
8/30/99 6:23 PM
first on vs gotta go

when ever you hear an album you can sometimes tell jsut from that first song what type of mood the album is going to create and with this song that certainly was true, for it gives you a kick right in the ass.

I know someday you will have a beautiful life

Jason

Pry, To
8/30/99 10:42 PM

I love the tempo of this song. And the lyrics are sung as if to a person. He didn't take her love for granted, he just thought of it now. If he abused her, he never meant it, he was just passing on what he knew. And the begging is worthy as well.

"Please, please, pleeaase"

"well fuckers...He still stands"

"well fuckers...He still stands"

dan_alive
8/30/99 10:49 PM

well, i'm not too good at this.. but, to me, this song is about enemies or friends who have turned into enemies... i think it's also about missing those people although they did do something which you thought was bad... moving too quickly from each other... a lot of frustration it seems to me from mr vedder.. i understand...

just live.

"Escape is never the safest path"

MFC
8/31/99 00:40 AM

isnt it about Ed's truck?.. seems fitting to me.. i yelled half the same shit out when i used to drive an 88 ranger. (RIP.. POS) took me forever to make enough money to buy something decent.

'there's alot to be said for Nowhere.'

-robby

Gold_Spank
8/31/99 01:22 AM

I just wanted to bring this song back to the top of the message list. This is not only a hardcore rockin' song, (one of pearl jam's best "emotional" songs) but whenever i hear it, it makes me want to just get up, and thrash around. When i first heard this song, i really didn't think the lyrics had a meaning, it was just a song to vent some anger. Every now and then, i play this song to friends of mine, or at parties, and the people who have never heard it before think it is totally HARDCAORE and awesoem.
An all around classic Song, perfect for setting the mood and getting people off their feet at any party or gathering.

I change by not changing at all

brokenarrow
8/31/99 09:55 AM

...I've felt the same way as evenkat....Re-asessing your situation...
The abuser line has always been interesting to me...so many people fall into the same pattern as their abuser....It takes strength not to...
When this album came out, and I put this song on first, I was just like 'Holy Shit'...this is great...so rough....
I don't play this record often enough, but whenever I see them live I always go on a VS binge......Such a different sound from Ten, which made me happy, to see change and growth.......brokenarrow>

pearlgirl
8/31/99 10:12 AM
hehe :)

stop it! that is too funny about the truck!! thanks for the laugh :)

-jen

"knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens"
-jimi hendrix

redmosquito
9/1/99 02:51 AM

OH MY GOD, How much do I love Vs.? You totally have to be in the right mood, but sometimes Vs. is the ONLY thing that will help with frustration, and anger.

The whole album (hence the title Vs.) has conflict and animosity written all over it. And I noticed that the lyrics are so much shorter, sharper, louder, and a lot more discreet with meaning. It's kinda like eddie changed from being the story teller (in Ten with all the stories about the victims) to just purely writing lyrics through psychological trains of thought. It just seems like he felt so much pressure from everything, this is his only way of rebelling and setting himself free.

Hmmmm...to me this song is about trust. Knowing the difference between your friends and your enemies and that fear of letting go of a friend who is no longer your friend. I love the line, "Turned to my nemesis, a fool, not a fucking god" after you feel the animosity and the change between a former friend, it's so much to bear that the nemesis that was once so great and so challenging is now only a fool.

I always see this whole album as a question of trust, evaluating where you stand with people, friends and enemies, Go is only the first song. I think he sees the dangers in his supposed friends but is still hesitant to let go, by the end, I believe that he gains the strength and courage to leave. DID I SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS ALBUM, IT'S LIKE IT HAS A LIFE OF IT'S OWN! Sometimes when I'm listening to it, the lyrics (amply backed with the best music in the world!) just blow me away!

-redmosquito

"saw things CLEARER once you were in my REARVIEWMIRROR!"

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
~C.S.
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    AWWW HELLLL YEAH!! :D:D

GO ROX MY SOX!! OMG i cant even explain how hard this song kicks my ass.. im like keeled over and its still kicking me in the head!! Wowie!!! :p

MMM MMMM MMMM MMMM GOOOD!!!!!

its like its fast and just like intense.. i love like 2:04 into the song. OMG! GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!! AAAAHH heehe
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • I like how Mike shreads when they play "Go" live.
    the whole world will be different soon
    the whole world will be relieved
  • KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    Originally posted by borisdisco
    I like how Mike shreads when they play "Go" live.

the ENTIRE SONG rox my sox. from the bass, to the drums to the KICK ASS guitars to the fucking vocals! *runs around in a circle* mmm mmm mmm! i love this song! :p
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"