Options

Special Project: Black, RVM, Glorified G, Breath & All Those Yesterdays

Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 4,021
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
This is for the REAL hardcores. I don't wanna hear from all the fans who cite their shows as having the best versions of the songs (I would be included among them, were that the criteria)

I'm looking for people who've listened to hundreds of shows (or close to it) and I 'm looking for the best versions of these songs.... WITH THE BEST BACKGROUND VOCALS ;)

That means pro's who know where to find:

- any version of 'Black' (sans 'Unplugged') with "we belong together..." or a similar tag

- any version of 'RVM' complete with "once you...'s" & screaming "REARVIEWMIRROR's"

- any 'Glorified G' where Stone actually, clearly sings his parts (or at least has somebody fill in for him)

- any version of 'Breath' with "nada-lada-hey's" or "if I knew where it was..." backgrounds

- and especially any versions of 'All Those Yesterdays' where at least 3 members of the band do harmonies towards the end.

Anyone up to the task? :)
PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I always find myself going back to the LOTL version of Black. Just the quality alone is unsurpassed, but the solo at the end gives me chills every time I hear it (which is a lot).

Also, and I'm not sure if he's done this before, but it's the first time I picked up on it, at Bonnaroo instead of singing "we belong together" he sings, "we didn't belong together". Pretty intense, and really changes the whole feel of the song in my opinion.

That's all I got this early in the morning.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    WilliedogWilliedog Posts: 43
    why dont you do the research and find out yourself......
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Go Animal wrote:
    This is for the REAL hardcores. I don't wanna hear from all the fans who cite their shows as having the best versions of the songs (I would be included among them, were that the criteria)

I'm looking for people who've listened to hundreds of shows (or close to it) and I 'm looking for the best versions of these songs.... WITH THE BEST BACKGROUND VOCALS ;)

- any version of 'Black' (sans 'Unplugged') with "we belong together..." or a similar tag

- any version of 'RVM' complete with "once you...'s" & screaming "REARVIEWMIRROR's"

- any 'Glorified G' where Stone actually, clearly sings his parts (or at least has somebody fill in for him)

- any version of 'Breath' with "nada-lada-hey's" or "if I knew where it was..." backgrounds

- and especially any versions of 'All Those Yesterdays' where at least 3 members of the band do harmonies towards the end.

this my friend is called addiction!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    evenflow wrote:
    I always find myself going back to the LOTL version of Black. Just the quality alone is unsurpassed, but the solo at the end gives me chills every time I hear it (which is a lot).

nope...
    it's Friday afternoon, my head's looking forward to a relaxing beer and the weekend, i just can't think...

LOTL ? :o

EDIT: d'oh! answered my own question...
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    Atlanta 1994 is still the best RVM i've ever heard.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    JohnnyGeetarJohnnyGeetar Posts: 165
    Go Animal wrote:

One of the best RVMs I've ever heard was from Dublin 2000.

Black - Love the Eleanor Rigby tag at the end of St. John's night 1.

All Those Yesterdays - Either the pre-set from 7/11/03 Mansfield, or 9/10/98 MSG.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    what im do its listen to the entire tour.. done everything since 00 and now listening to the 95 shows. Surely i hear countless numbers of songs but tbh no song stands out.. they are all great when they are played live and becuase ive heard so many its very hard to pick just one. Sure there are ones with better parts, and other versions where eddie sings the best bits correctly.

Sorry i cant really help, they all just song unique and brilliant to me.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    as a fellow bootleg "junkie" I have to ask you to qualify your criteria..

there are many "best performances" caught on bootlegs with fair or substandard sound quality...

are you looking for the performance or the best sound quality or are you asking for both...

if so, which should have more emphasis?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    94 Atlanta Black is amazing as well.

I second the 94 RVM love.

Damn.....that show was awesome! and I was not even there ha ha
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Or a version of Low Light where jeff actually sings in key.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    quite a few good 'we belong together' tags from 06
    but, Pittsburgh 06 is a REALLY good one...
    definitely one of my favs
    03: Toronto
    04: Toledo
    05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec City, St. John's 1 & 2
    06: Toronto 1 & 2, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    07: London, Dusseldorf
    08: Tampa
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    I would second burgandy75 with ATY from 7-11-03 preset. It's a beautiful version.
  • Options
    Lol i want to find the best we belong together version too, but for the past 1-2 hours ive been listening for 08 ones and there is usually too much singing in the song or eddie cant sing the long bits.. same for 06 and 05 quality is a bit crappy, thats if a i find one. Just sending to a friend you see who doesn't listen to pearl jam but knows of them. Atlanta 94 is AUD recording and :(

Search still goes on for the best "we belong together tag"!
  • Options
    bump.

Any black suggestions?

I think hartford 06 is winning atm. But ive heard like more wilder and passioantie "we belong together" tags so im trying to find it.
  • Options
    okay the best version of black could be any of the following

sydney1 06 - 2 tags, pretty nice, eddie nails all the tricky long bits, however not much DO DO DO DO DO if any.
    Marseille 06 - loads of clapping at the end / changes to we don't belong together.
    Madrid 06 - best tag but eddie doesn't sing the long bits, which imo are some of the best bits in the song - crowd sings. Which is real shame becuase if he sang them would have won by a mile.
    Lisbon 06 - major crowd interaction - think this is my winner.

I only really went from 2008-2006, but thats when i think the song sounds best. Plus i dont think they did the tag much in 2005. Cant really pick between the tbh.
  • Options
    jarch11jarch11 Posts: 52
    Black at the gorge 06 night 1, or DC 08 were both pretty amazing.
  • Options
    black from E. Rutherford, night 2 in 06
    you have your "we belong..." type tag and the crowd sings with so much emotion, its amazing
    E. Rutherford 6/03/06
    Camden 6/19/08
    Newark 5/18/10
    MSG 5/20/10
    MSG 5/21/10
    Brian (Staten Island): Does Boom even speak to you guys?

SportsNation Jeff Ament: (6:42 PM ET ) we can only speak to Boom when spoken to...
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Black - Ottawa 05.

I don't think you actually get "we belong together...", but the tag is amazing.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    Black @ Mansfield 08 :) The boot sounds great... and it was so good live, so good. I loved it.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    What about Roo 08?
  • Options
    It was either Lisbon, or Madrid 2007, one of the shows we listened to on the radio last year, had an awesome Black tag.

I wanna say it was Madrid. 6/9/07
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Well, I was there, but I've also heard a ton of boots, and the RVM from San Diego 06 is really something else.
  • Options
    TombourineTombourine Posts: 139
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Milan 06 Black. I'd go with that. I also agree with whoever said San Diego 06 for RVM. Along with Atlanta 94, it's easily the best I've heard. I'm not a huge Glorified G fan, but iirc Altanta 03 is pretty good. ATY has to be Mansfield 03.
    Hey hey it's okay...
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 4,021
    All good choices, but I want to reiterate, i'm not looking for the best versions ever, EVER. Just really good versions with good (or PROPER) background vocals (or tags)

Anyone who recommends RVM, G Gun or ATY, let everybody know if they've got great, or good background vocals. That's really my goal.
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    SpecialKSpecialK Posts: 4
    Black 7-16-93 Rotterdam

On "Against" Boot
    JP
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I BrisK I wrote:
    bump.

Any black suggestions?

I think hartford 06 is winning atm. But ive heard like more wilder and passioantie "we belong together" tags so im trying to find it.
    I've mentioned the San Sebastian 96 Black a few times here. I've only heard around 30-40 boots so I can't say with any certainty that it's the greatest or even if they've tagged another song onto the ending, but, it's simply incredible.

RVM :- Buenos Aires1 05 has an extended jam, song lasts for over 11minutes. The best recent-ish boot I've heard.
  • Options
    zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    Black, Boston 2 in 2006. (5/25/06). I love it, it sounds so awesome, McCready's solo and Eddies vocals are incredible. I've listened to it so many times and it will never get old.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    Breath - MSG I 2003.

Eddie changes the line to "there's not much more than this". Great version.
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II
  • Options
    trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    I BrisK I wrote:
    okay the best version of black could be any of the following

sydney1 06 - 2 tags, pretty nice, eddie nails all the tricky long bits, however not much DO DO DO DO DO if any.
    Marseille 06 - loads of clapping at the end / changes to we don't belong together.
    Madrid 06 - best tag but eddie doesn't sing the long bits, which imo are some of the best bits in the song - crowd sings. Which is real shame becuase if he sang them would have won by a mile.
    Lisbon 06 - major crowd interaction - think this is my winner.

I only really went from 2008-2006

Italy, my friend!
    Black is always one the highlights, in every show they play it.
    Turin and Milan 06, expecially the first one, are incredibly intense.
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    DC 08 Black is another great version. Mike destroyed the solo and has a great we belong together tag.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II